IGNORED

Controversial Opinions?

slh12280

Just wondering if anyone has opinions that others might consider controversial/extreme? I know I do. Felt safe posting this here because I know all you guys value free speech even when we don't agree. Don't want to start an argument though :)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely do. I agree with probably 1/2 of everything that is posted on this board, and I have some pretty controversial opinions myself, which span BOTH sides of the fence. LOlz

Alright I got one: I believe in almost completely free speech. Even things that people call "hate speech." Of course, if people were decent, there would be no such need for restrictions.

Alright I got one: I believe in almost completely free speech. Even things that people call "hate speech." Of course, if people were decent, there would be no such need for restrictions.

and if the moon were made of blue cheese we could eat it. :)

mine is no one knows if there is a god or a heaven or what happens after you die. The more sure you are of knowing the more chance you are fooling yourself.

Maybe? I'm not about to pull a KD Lang but I think that some people *have* to put all their stock into certain beliefs because they wouldn't have anything else to rely on, otherwise.

I'm trying to think about it...to decide or try to find an opinion to share. I don't know that they're that controversial though, I mean I do have certain ideas about religion and about politics but I wouldn't call them controversial. Leftist without a doubt but hardly controversial. When there are people who share ones views, and those views don't undermine the safety or wellbeing of others, I can't really consider them to be controversial because they are accepted by a certain percentage of people.

To me the word "controversial" is just sort of a sugar coating for the bat shit crazy ideas. Like when Mel Gibson went on his anti semetic rant, the media might call it "controversial" or even racist, well most normal people out there are just thinking, "Wow. That surpasses a basic understanding of human decency and compassion and enters the land of crazy. Can we put him on an ice float and call it done?" To be controversial is just the PC way of saying complete asshole who no one wants around but that's just me. Pat Robertson and Ray Comfort also belong in this category along with many, many others.

I have lots of controversial opinions, some of which contradict each other. F'r instance, I'm not convinced I'm in favor of marriage (for anyone), but in the interest of practicality and the fact that marriage exists, I think that any number of consenting adults of any sex(es) should be able to marry. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I do have those opinions. :whistle:

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I have conflicting opinions about a lot of things- one being the way I personally want the world to work, and another being the way I'm willing to vote if the world won't do everything I want. :)

I agree. I think even despicable hate speech should be allowed under free speech.

I agree. I think even despicable hate speech should be allowed under free speech.

I think it should be allowed, but I really wish it didn't exist! The one thing that I wish wasn't allowed is WBC. I HATE how they protest at the funerals of soldiers. I mean, people are already grieving so the last thing they want to do is deal with those psychos.

I definitly have some controversial opinions. Even within my own social circle which should, in theory, be similar to me, I still have opinions that are rather controversial and I have learned to keep quiet about.

My controversial opinions? Well I believe that people should have a license to breed. I think people like the Duggars, who breed incessantly with little regard for the environment should pay $$$ to certain environmental organizations (yeah right, like this would ever happen). I believe that all child molesters and rapists should be castrated. I believe in gay marriage and am extremely Pro-Choice.

I don't think my opinions are controversial, but much depends on the group that's considering them. If you get around my family of origin after everyone's had a drink or two, my opinions lead them to conclude that I was a foundling left on the doorstep.

Well, I'm a hardcore descriptivist, which means that I don't think any language or grammar is technically "wrong". That's just not how language works. If enough people us the "wrong" word or grammar or spelling, then it becomes right. It's not like math or history where there is an objective right or wrong. There's only "more commonly accepted" and "less commonly accepted". I know this is extremely hard for a lot of people to accept.

I don't think any topic/word is too controversial.

I love a good debate. I like pushing my comfort zones further out. When I am forced to defend my position it helps me to organize my own thoughts and ideas and I often find I gain something( eg a new perspective or idea) useful during a good debate.

I don't like it when people stop debating and resort to just slinging mud. I don't like it when people don't allow other people to express their opinions. I don't like it when the goal becomes just hurting someone instead of enlightening/teaching/explaining/helping. I don't like to engage someone who is incapable (either through age or disability) of defending themselves.

edit: just read the other posts and realized I am off topic,sorry

tried to delete the post but had no success

I don't believe in the death penalty. For anyone, for any reason. Let me tell you how popular that particular belief is...

Absolutely. Quite a few, probably. And by controversial, I mean opinions with whom other people, presumably rational, could have legitimate disagreement. I am just very careful about where I choose to share those, because reasonable discourse seems to be impossible on a number of issues and the second you share your opinion, the other party thinks, "OMG, you're a terrible person" and it just goes downhill from there.

Yes. I've found my opinions on reproductive rights often offend both people who are pro-life and those who are pro-choice, which seems like a feat, really. My opinions on animal rights (that they have them, and that people who mistreat animals are the scum of the earth) don't seem like they should be controversial to me, but they certainly are.

I'm sure since I come out of fundie-land and don't find every aspect of that life wrong or abhorrent in practice (though I do find a lot of it unnecessary) I might have some controversial opinions here on FJ.

But also, every opinion is controversial somewhere.

I'm a radical feminist, which usually goes over like the proverbial turd in a punch bowl. I'm also a near-atheist living in the South. These things make me a very popular gal! :lol:

Well, everyone has some controversial opinions, right? I mean everyone has an opinion on abortion or gay marriage, and whichever side you fall on is going to be controversial to the other side. That said:

I believe people should limit their family size. When I stated this on a message board a while back I was accused of all kinds of things- wanting to make it illegal to have more than one child, wanting to force abortions/sterilization or kill babies, etc. I'm nowhere near that extreme- I just think there should be more awareness about overpopulation and our impact on the environment (even if we try to live as "green" as possible). To be fair, I have friends who have 4 or more kids and they're great parents and I wouldn't say a word if they decided to have another. And of course I know other people who have 2 or 3 kids that reeeaally should have stopped at one. I'm just saying that more overall- it's always treated as such bad news if birth rates are declining, you know? But the human race is definitely not in any danger of dying out.

Also: I believe declawing should be illegal.

Sure. I don't believe in the death penalty, but I do believe that people who do truly horrific things should spend the rest of their lives only living with the basic things to survive, no tv, no A/C, just enough heat so they won't freeze, and be made to do hard manual labor every single day with no vacation until they are unable to do so.

I also think declawing shouldn't be legal. I think spaying and neutering you pet should be manditory with hefty fines and loss of pet if you don't unless you have a license to breed. And getting a license to breed should be hard.

I think if your children are deathly allergic to anything you shouldn't send them to public school. Ta-da!

I think I would wonder about the intellect of anyone who didn't have at least a few "controversial" opinions.

Archived