IGNORED

Messy Bedrooms and God

NurseNell

I make my bed every day. It bothers me if it isn't made. I am kind of a neat freak, so overall, my whole apartment is kept clean and picked up because I get crabby when it isn't.

I also don't believe in any god. But, if there is one and I am wrong, I don't think for a second that he/she/it gives a rat's ass about the state of my bedroom, or any other room in my home. If there is some god who needs to be glorified by the cleanliness, or not, of my rooms, that is not a god I want anything to do with.

I make my bed every day. Here is what I do: I pull the duvet up.

My cats are not deterred by a made bed. They manage to crawl under the covers even with the tightest of sheet tucking in. They are wily like that.

I only use a fitted sheet and a comforter, and half the time I sleep on top of said comforter because my apartment is hotter than hell(utilities are included in my rent and there's no way to control the heat[except for a knob on the side of the radiator that's been stuck since I moved in 15 years ago, despite my late husband WD-40ing it to within an inch of its life]).

That is, when my feline overlords deign to let me into bed... :animals-cat:

I actually purposefully don't make my bed because it makes the dust mites happy when you do it.

I heard this too, so I cheat. I take off the comforter and top sheet and toss them on top of the dresser to let the bed air out, then I make it a couple hours later, after I've had breakfast and taken a shower (with a toddler at home, we eat first, then shower). This gives it time to air out, and it's made when we go to bed. I supposed if you work days, you could leave it unmade then make it when you get home from work.

I never saw the point of it before, but then I found out I do like the feeling of it, so I try to keep it made on most days. The funny thing is that started when I was in the hospital a few years ago. My life was so out of control then it was one of the few things I could control, and I found that I do so much better when I can keep even small routines like that going.

OTOH, I doubt Jesus really cares if the bed's made or not in the long run. He's probably more concerned about all of those people who don't have beds or blankets and why so many Christians (myself included) are focusing on homemaking tips rather than providing beds, food, clothes, and care for the poor.

I'm reading this while lying in bed with my netbook, because, uncharacteristically for me, I do not want to get out of bed today. (I think I just need to gut it up, get up and turn on the heater.) However, my bed would not get made anyway because my cat sleeps in between the comforter and the blanket. She's glowering at me right now, I'm not supposed to be lying in HER BED.

Oh, pray for my soul, because not only is my bedroom a mess, the whole entire house is. I will make my bed when I change the sheets on it, but I can't be bothered to make it every day. As others have already stated, the cats would be having none of that. Besides, I worked as a housekeeper when I was in college - I figure that I've already made enough beds in my lifetime that I can get a pass in my own home.

I use a bottom sheet and a duvet also. If I were a hausfrau in an alpine village I'd hang the comforters outside an open window every morning weather permitting, but since I'm not, and weather often doesn't permit, I throw the comforter way back to expose as much of the bottom sheet as possible. A bed needs to be aired every morning to be fresh and sanitary. That's my story, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

I can't fathom the thought of bed room cleanliness being a salvation issue. Do these people really have so little going on in their lives that this is how they define sin????

Messy bedrooms are not glorifying to God. This is according to Time Warp Wife. Uffda, I am really in trouble. :eusa-naughty: It's really not my fault though, it's my parents'. They did not teach me biblical stewardship principles. My mother was a Unitarian atheist, I suppose she can be forgiven. My Dad was an ebil Cathlick and he cared more about providing us homegrown food. Now one area where my mother agreed with the Time Warp Wife was in the department of Actually my mother taught English so she would have said "the bed needs to be made" or "the beds need to be made" but the principle, yes , she was in agreement. Myself, I never could see the point of making the bed since I was just going to get back in it that night. My cats prefer that I not make the bed and since they are the bosses of me I obey. :animals-cat:

As for being joyful, singing, and talking to your children with a smile in your voice is really hard to do when you can't carry a tune in a bucket. And I didn't care what my kids' bedrooms looked like, they were free to live as slobs or neatniks, made no difference to me.

time-warp-wife.blogspot.com/2011/12/week-by-week-plan-to-managing-you.html

Okay, should i make the bed with my husband in it? He works 3rd shift and I am crawling out of bed about the time he is crawling into bed. (I work second). Of course, those are only the days when the kids aren't in school. (I sleep until noon on the days the kids are in school because I go to bed at 2 am and get up at 6am).

I can carry a tune but I work with the elderly with dementia. I have to talk with a smile in my voice at work every shift. That way my dementia patients don't try to run me over with the motorized wheel chairs or stab me in the legs with their plastic sporks. By the time I get home, I am too whiped out to have a smile in my voice. I don't snarl at my kids but they know that Mum is tired and the weekend is when she smiles, sings and laughs.

I'm reading this while lying in bed with my netbook, because, uncharacteristically for me, I do not want to get out of bed today. (I think I just need to gut it up, get up and turn on the heater.) However, my bed would not get made anyway because my cat sleeps in between the comforter and the blanket. She's glowering at me right now, I'm not supposed to be lying in HER BED.

I'm glad that those of us with cats, and it seems like a lot of us, understand just who is the boss. Dogs have owners, cats have subjects.

Archived