IGNORED

Messy Bedrooms and God

NurseNell

Messy bedrooms are not glorifying to God. This is according to Time Warp Wife. Uffda, I am really in trouble. :eusa-naughty: It's really not my fault though, it's my parents'. They did not teach me biblical stewardship principles. My mother was a Unitarian atheist, I suppose she can be forgiven. My Dad was an ebil Cathlick and he cared more about providing us homegrown food. Now one area where my mother agreed with the Time Warp Wife was in the department of

The bed need to be made every day of course.
Actually my mother taught English so she would have said "the bed needs to be made" or "the beds need to be made" but the principle, yes , she was in agreement. Myself, I never could see the point of making the bed since I was just going to get back in it that night. My cats prefer that I not make the bed and since they are the bosses of me I obey. :animals-cat:

As for being joyful, singing, and talking to your children with a smile in your voice is really hard to do when you can't carry a tune in a bucket. And I didn't care what my kids' bedrooms looked like, they were free to live as slobs or neatniks, made no difference to me.

time-warp-wife.blogspot.com/2011/12/week-by-week-plan-to-managing-you.html

Messy bedrooms are not glorifying to God. This is according to Time Warp Wife. Uffda, I am really in trouble. :eusa-naughty: It's really not my fault though, it's my parents'. They did not teach me biblical stewardship principles. My mother was a Unitarian atheist, I suppose she can be forgiven. My Dad was an ebil Cathlick and he cared more about providing us homegrown food. Now one area where my mother agreed with the Time Warp Wife was in the department of Actually my mother taught English so she would have said "the bed needs to be made" or "the beds need to be made" but the principle, yes , she was in agreement. Myself, I never could see the point of making the bed since I was just going to get back in it that night. My cats prefer that I not make the bed and since they are the bosses of me I obey. :animals-cat:

As for being joyful, singing, and talking to your children with a smile in your voice is really hard to do when you can't carry a tune in a bucket. And I didn't care what my kids' bedrooms looked like, they were free to live as slobs or neatniks, made no difference to me.

time-warp-wife.blogspot.com/2011/12/week-by-week-plan-to-managing-you.html

I'm a bad girl headed to hell if Jesus ever saw the state of my bedroom. And if he saw my kids rooms :shock: .

Oh yay...another person saying that lack of perfection = sin. Great. :roll:

I think I've mentioned that my mom was super picky about house cleaning...if I didn't make my bed "right" she'd make me do it again, after saying "how would you feel if Barbara Bush saw your room right now!!!" (obv this was during Bush I).

Now, when I'm fussing about making the bed, my husband tells me "stop stressing, Barbara Bush isn't visiting today!!" :lol:

My cats prefer that I not make the bed and since they are the bosses of me I obey. :animals-cat:

I've decided that the bed actually belongs to the cats; they just let me sleep there. Since it's their bed, they can make it if it's so damned important.

And while I'm not a Christian, from what I've read about Jesus he seemed like a pretty cool guy--the kind of guy who, if I made my bed as a way to "glorify" him, would tell me that my priorities were screwed up.

I haven't made the bed since I went back to work 11 years ago. Our cats like it better that way. Otherwise, I'm a bit of neatnik in my own bedroom. My sons are going to hell for sure, although I see that two out of three managed to change their linens today :D

I think I've mentioned that my mom was super picky about house cleaning...if I didn't make my bed "right" she'd make me do it again, after saying "how would you feel if Barbara Bush saw your room right now!!!" (obv this was during Bush I).

Now, when I'm fussing about making the bed, my husband tells me "stop stressing, Barbara Bush isn't visiting today!!" :lol:

Even without much practice at home I did fine in nursing school where we had to make our bed daily, we had room inspection, and of course I made thousands of beds for patients. And I did fine in the Navy where we not only had daily inspection but they did actually bounce a quarter on your bed. So one can learn bed making very quickly if the need arises. Barbara Bush probably had maids anyway.

I only make my bed to try to keep as much cat fur out of the sheets as possible. It will never totally happen, but I try. Otherwise, there usually are clothes all over the place.

I only make my bed to try to keep as much cat fur out of the sheets as possible. It will never totally happen, but I try. Otherwise, there usually are clothes all over the place.

My cats' first choices of places to sleep is a pile of dirty clothes. I think they like my smell. One cat is particularly fond of clean clothes though so I really have to get the clean piles put away.

My cats' first choices of places to sleep is a pile of dirty clothes. I think they like my smell. One cat is particularly fond of clean clothes though so I really have to get the clean piles put away.

One of my cats will pee in the laundry basket. Luckily she doesn't pee on dirty clothes anywhere else. So that has to be put away. They all will sleep on any clothes left out in the bedroom.

I think if Jesus saw my bedroom, he'd be more concerned about all the material wealth I possess than the messy state of it. And he's probably feel the same way about this fundie's bedroom too, no matter how clean she gets it. I can just picture him saying, "It would be a lot easier to clean if you just gave 90% of these clothes to people who don't have enough." Of course, I'm an atheist so I don't really care what Jesus would think, but I do think it's hypocritical for a fundie to judge others for not having all their hoarded material wealth neat enough. Way to miss the point!

I make my bed every day, but there are some clothes overflowing from a laundry basket in here.

Now my daughter, well let's say the door closes and we don't look.

I knew someone in Amway ( :naughty: ) who didn't make her bed for years, because eventually they'd be rich and would have maids to do that sort of mundane stuff while they lived in a lily white Christian community with no dissension.

I knew someone in Amway ( :naughty: ) who didn't make her bed for years, because eventually they'd be rich and would have maids to do that sort of mundane stuff while they lived in a lily white Christian community with no dissension.

Did it come to pass? I wouldn't want my bed made even if I did have a maid. I leave a note when I stay in hotels, please do not make the bed. I don't like getting into a made bed, I feel like I'm going to suffocate before I kick all the sheets loose.

That's a lost cause, at my house. I have a very muscular 17-18lb cat who likes to sleep under the covers. Make the bed? Pfft. He'll just tunnel his way underneath, and once he's got everything untucked his best friend will join him.

I gave up. I have a fitted sheet on the bed, and use a duvet (I have several covers for it, and those get washed as-needed). I don't even bother with a top sheet or blankets. If I need to give the illusion that I actually make my bed, I just pull the duvet up to cover the whole thing.

Even without much practice at home I did fine in nursing school where we had to make our bed daily, we had room inspection, and of course I made thousands of beds for patients. And I did fine in the Navy where we not only had daily inspection but they did actually bounce a quarter on your bed. So one can learn bed making very quickly if the need arises. Barbara Bush probably had maids anyway.

My mother taught me to make "hospital corners" and my brother taught me to make my bed so neat that he could bounce a quarter off of it. Yes, he was in navy boot camp as a teen and that is where he learned the trick. If I passed his inspection and the quater bounce then I got to keep the quarter which was a lot to a little girl in the 70's. My sons know how to make the bed to Navy standards but a quarter isn't thrilling them like it did me. But even though they know they choose not too. Well NavySon does but it isn't a choice and he did thank me for teaching him how all those years ago. I still hold that Jesus doesn't care how clean my bedroom is but how I am following His words. :roll:

I gave up. I have a fitted sheet on the bed, and use a duvet (I have several covers for it, and those get washed as-needed). I don't even bother with a top sheet or blankets. If I need to give the illusion that I actually make my bed, I just pull the duvet up to cover the whole thing.

Same here, no top sheet or blanket. How many cats do you have Jezebel? I have 5. Two previous calicos I've had over the years were named Jezebel since they looked like painted women. My current calico is more of a tortie so she's not a Jezebel, she's Clare.

My mother taught me to make "hospital corners" and my brother taught me to make my bed so neat that he could bounce a quarter off of it. Yes, he was in navy boot camp as a teen and that is where he learned the trick. If I passed his inspection and the quater bounce then I got to keep the quarter which was a lot to a little girl in the 70's. My sons know how to make the bed to Navy standards but a quarter isn't thrilling them like it did me. But even though they know they choose not too. Well NavySon does but it isn't a choice and he did thank me for teaching him how all those years ago. I still hold that Jesus doesn't care how clean my bedroom is but how I am following His words. :roll:

At least hospitals finally got smart and started using fitted sheets. Not the Navy though. Was your brother stationed at Great Lakes for boot camp? I was there in the early 70's. He wasn't a corpsman by any chance was he?

Yay, my bedroom totally glorifies her deity! As does the rest of the house, except the box room, but box rooms aren't necessary for salvation, right? The only problem might be that it's because my boyfriend and I have a cleaning-rota, which my super Christian cousin, constantly assures me is wrong and against her deity's will. Apparently, that makes me an evil feminist bound for hell for oppressing him; she likes to flatter me like that. :twisted:

At least hospitals finally got smart and started using fitted sheets. Not the Navy though. Was your brother stationed at Great Lakes for boot camp? I was there in the early 70's. He wasn't a corpsman by any chance was he?

Yes, right area and time. I have no idea what he did though. It was a teen boot camp thing, meaning he did boot camp before becoming a senior and he wouldn't have become a navy man until he got that diploma.

Please tell me you know what I'm talking about as I feel like I have been channeling Taryn lately.

Yay, my bedroom totally glorifies her deity! As does the rest of the house, except the box room, but box rooms aren't necessary for salvation, right? The only problem might be that it's because my boyfriend and I have a cleaning-rota, which my super Christian cousin, constantly assures me is wrong and against her deity's will. Apparently, that makes me an evil feminist bound for hell for oppressing him; she likes to flatter me like that. :twisted:

Well you're bound for hell anyway, if your boyfriend is living with you. :twisted: What is a box room?

But what if my dogs mess up my bed after I make it?

Then they are ungodly heathen canines and must be trained up to be proper Godly dogs.

If cleanliness is next to Godliness, then I'm Satan's next door neighbor. My house is ALWAYS messy. Even after the cleaning ladies leave, the toddler systematically returns it to a proper state of chaos.

Yes, right area and time. I have no idea what he did though. It was a teen boot camp thing, meaning he did boot camp before becoming a senior and he wouldn't have become a navy man until he got that diploma.

Please tell me you know what I'm talking about as I feel like I have been channeling Taryn lately.

Yes, I know. It wasn't uncommon then in both the Navy and Army to have high school students do boot camp before their senior year of high school. Then after graduation they went straight to whatever school they were being sent to. Those in electronics and avionics usually went to Memphis, those becoming corpsmen went to Great Lakes or San Diego. There's a million different schools depending on what their job was to be.

*looks around at my bed I'm sitting on with laptop on lap*

Pillows strewn about, duvet rumpled around falling off the bed... oh dear theres even a chocolate wrapper on the floor! EGHAST! I'm going to Hell!!!!!

But you already knew that ;-)

:? I'm looking at my huge black boy cat that is purring away as he bathes hisroyalhighness in the load of clean whites. He never will sleep in colored laundry only fresh from the dryer white loads. :whistle:

Well you're bound for hell anyway, if your boyfriend is living with you. :twisted: What is a box room?

I keep telling my cousin that, but apparently sharing housework is worse than sharing a bed. Because...well, she likes to pick on "sins" she hasn't committed. And she would never, ever, ever allow a man to do housework!

Sorry, a box room is a small room mainly designated for storage. But some of them are big enough for a single bed, so ours is a study/guest bedroom.

Archived