IGNORED

Amish on Break

deelaem

Did anyone catch this special on the National Geographic Channel? It was pretty interesting. It featured four Amish young adults on Rummspringa (sp?) in England. They stayed with 3 different families and got to experience a lot of different things. I was struck by a couple of things. First, I was really surprised that this access was allowed by their Amish elders. It must have been one of the more liberal sects. Secondly I was a bit saddened at how little they knew about the world around them. I realize that in their life they probably have no need to know about wordly things, but these kids didn't even know what the Bill of Rights was. Also very moving was how absolutely struck with fear the girls were when they were taken to a nightclub. You could tell that they felt like it was Satan's den. Now I myself don't really like nightclubs, but if you could have seen the looks of terror on these girls' faces.

I'd talk about the ending, but some of you might want to see it on your own. I'd recommend it, it was pretty good.

Guest Anonymous

I think it has been discussed before, on the old board. The series was aired over here in the UK on CH 4, here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/amis ... -teenagers. The teens visited Scotland as well as England.

They were probably fairly atypical 'Amish', in that two of them came from families that had already left the Amish sects to which they had belonged and, from the third family, one lad had been on Rumspringa for 6 years before the filming started.

It was a fascinating series though, and it is still available to watch on 4OD, if you can access that.

I caught the last 10 minutes of it. Thank you notTHATgirl, the google-fu was not with me.

I watched it and it was very interesting. I also watched the Amish getting married one about their weddings. I've always been interested in the Amish.

I'm watching it on youtube at the moment, and it's really interesting. It was nice that the Amish kids were actually polite and both groups seemed to be learning from each other. Yeah, the Amish kids obviously still believe their way is right, but they're not too sanctimonious about it, and you could tell they were really thinking about what they were experiencing and what it meant. I grew up around Amish, though, so I knew they weren't going to be straight up rude like some people we know.

I watched this last week on NatGeo. It was very interesting documentary. I wish there would have been more focus on the Amish kids' interaction with the atheist kid.

Archived