IGNORED

Shortest engagement between a fundy couple?

dawn9476

Josh & Anna were engaged for about three months. I was just going through the Morton blog and saw that one of the sons in that family was officially engaged for like a month and a half before he was married. Is that the shortest? Or have there been shorter engagements? And isn't one of the reasons why fundies can have short engagements is because the girl usually has her dress and maybe even bridesmaids dresses already made before she even starts courting?

I know a non-fundie couple that was 3 weeks from meeting to marriage (married 10 years; now divorced) and a mormon couple that dated a few weeks and was only engaged two days. No idea if they're still married.

The shortest I've personally know was three weeks from meeting to marriage at the court house.

Were they fundy? Did they go from nothing or courting to full out married in 3 weeks? If so, wow.

In the same breath I say the same thing about regular folk who meet one day and are Mr. & Mrs within 3 months. Not always a bad thing but why so fast? Wouldn't a year getting to know one another be ok or would a planet explode somewhere? Now this black pot is going to hide in shame for doing the very thing with her first husband and we all know how bad that turned out.

I know a non-fundie couple that was 3 weeks from meeting to marriage (married 10 years; now divorced) and a mormon couple that dated a few weeks and was only engaged two days. No idea if they're still worried.

Why would they be worried?

A friend of our family was telling us that they had friends who met one day, were engaged 2 days later, were married a week or so later.

a mormon couple that dated a few weeks and was only engaged two days. No idea if they're still worried.

Was the mormon couple married in a temple? Or did they have a regular civil service? I would think a temple would need more notice for a wedding.

My husband and I had an engagement period that was less than three months, and we only knew each other for 13 months in total by the time the wedding happened. We're not religious (though I take him to Chabad and he enjoys the speed at which the rabbi hands round the booze); we just got trapped in draconian immigration laws.

My mother was remarried within five months of meeting the man who became her second husband. 16 or 17 (I forget) years later, all seems well with the world, but it was a shock at the time, to be sure. I dunno. My father's remarriage also happened fairly quickly. Perhaps it can be different the second time around? It seems like a much bigger deal with these fundie engagements, since it is for life and/or eternity. It's "let's get them married before one of them gets cold feet about making a commitment that will last far longer than even a mortgage!"

Of course, I don't take marriage the slightest bit seriously? My partner (of some years now) and I don't plan on going down that route at all. (If some aspect of our life would be made easier, such as immigration or kids or something, I suspect we'd discuss regularizing our relationship in the eyes of the state. But until that happens...)

Archived