IGNORED

Bates Gypsy camp seriously?

fundiefun

I was looking on their blog and for their first new entry I can't believe they referred to one of the groups of kids as "Gypsy Camp". Do these fundies ever think about what comes out of their mouth it sounds like they just like hearing the sound of their own voice and flapping their lips.

Ins't the word 'Gypsy' a derogatory?

Nope - over here the census designation is "Gypsy/Traveller" which sometimes appears as "Gypsy Traveller". The insults would be gyppo or pikey. But may be different in the US.

Nope - over here the census designation is "Gypsy/Traveller" which sometimes appears as "Gypsy Traveller". The insults would be gyppo or pikey. But may be different in the US.

Im in the US and Ive pretty much always heard it used in a derogatory way. Either as an outright insult,or in a fetishist way.

I think whether or not Gypsy is derogatory is up for debate. Some people consider it so and others don't as JFC said. I have a Romanian friend and she refers to herself as a Gypsy, with pride. Maybe the Bateses just meant it in the sense that there are so many people and in the cultural imagination people think "Gypsies=large families". I'm just guessing. To be honest, I'm not that surprised coming from the Bateses. They don't exactly get out much. They might not be aware enough to know it's considered a pejorative by some. Or they just might not care...which would be bad.

Ins't the word 'Gypsy' a derogatory?

It is amongst Rroma. They hate the term. Not that it stops officialdom from using it.

[Edited this bit out because I am ignorant of the correct terminology.]

Regardless of how the groups may refer to themselves and wish others to refer to them, there's no way calling that "Gypsy camp" isn't offensive. :?

Isn't that Bill Gothard with the city mayor? ATI isn't exactly known for being culturally sensitive.

The Bateses probably don't think much about what they say or write. Most fundies can offensive when it comes to non white or non-Protestant cultures. I thought that recent trip was just to proselytize by handing out tracts.

Heck, the Bates might not even know that there ARE real people who might get offended by the term! I've spoken to people who thought Gypsies* were all made up, you know, like fairies.

(Or maybe I heard that second-hand from somebody I trust? Darn, I can't even remember. Point is, these folks do exist.)

*Their term, not mine.

I'd like to think the best of them and that they're just fucking clueless but the picture of the KKK founder in the "patriotic" bedroom unfortunately proves otherwise.

Never heard that it was derogatory either.

I'd like to think the best of them and that they're just fucking clueless but the picture of the KKK founder in the "patriotic" bedroom unfortunately proves otherwise.

Whaaaaaaaaa? O_O

I have a friend down on the Arkansas and Oklahoma border. They have Gypsy camps down there and the inhabitants refer to themselves as such.

I did not realize it was considered derogatory.

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that. Gypsy is an ethnic group.

So the question is, is it wrong to use the term of an ethnic group (which some members of that group object to, though it doesn't seem to be universal) to describe people who aren't members of that group but who happen to do one or two things that are seen as stereotypical for that ethnic group?

Guest Anonymous

I've been told that it's offensive, and that the preferred term is Roma. I don't presume to think that everyone feels that way, but because that's what I've been told by someone within the group, that's what I do.

If people want to reclaim a word as a member of a group I think that's a different thing entirely from someone outside using it.

One day I plan to read more about the Roma people. In South America, where I (partly) grew up, it was widely known that the gitanos (gypsies) hail from India or thereabouts, and some of them can write in Sanskrit.

I guess what most folks could probably agree upon is that it is rude to say that one has been 'gypped' when talking about having been cheated. Definite slur.

Oddly enough, that etymology of "gypped" can't be confirmed. Of course, since it seems like it must be short for gypsy, and certainly means something negative, it's a no-brainer to just say "cheated" instead.

Archived