IGNORED

Scott Brown welcomes family ... after they take an oath

MamaJunebug

Inspired by denimjumper's provision of some sites recounting the Epstein family's excommunication from Doug Phillips' treehouse club family integrated home church, I went over to NCFIC.org to review an article I'd seen about the oath a family (or a family's father, who knows) must take to join Scott Brown's congregation.

ncfic.org/weblogmodule/view/id/809/src/@random493e73d2154bd

I was just going to review the process of swearing to behave in certain ways, which is foreign to me as a Lutheran. Our congregational membership is always predicated on the idea that you're smart enough and honorable enough to know how to behave. Or if you're not sure, to ask someone to 'splain it to you.

What I found was even better: Two people responded to the article, and either Scott doesn't care that they asked a couple of tough questions or he hasn't noticed it.

Since I'm pretty sure "fair use" would cover reposting others' comments to one's original text, here they are. Enjoy! (I've printed out the whole thing, the better to examine it in the great weather this weekend!)

First comment:

Mr.Brown, Thank you for posting your church's covenant for membership. I'm wondering how you would handle an obese person who was interested in becoming a member of your church. The Lord has been speaking to me about gluttony, and it is something that I'm trying to overcome. How does your church handle this sin issue? Do you only use the outside appearance to judge gluttony? Thank you for any information that you can share. Mrs. B

Posted by Mrs.B on 06/17/11

Second comment:

Do you realize that there is no Biblical example of having to take an oath to be a local church member? Of course, there isn't any Biblical precedent for local church membership either, but an oath/covenant is taking even that another step. If one of the main points of the Family Integrated movement is to do things in the Biblical way, not the cultural way, then you really need to examine the Biblical foundation for these oaths.

Posted by Lance Roberts on 06/16/11

Whatever happened to "let your yea be yea and and your nay, nay" (Matthew 5:37)? Jesus is pretty down on the whole business of swearing oaths.

Whatever happened to "let your yea be yea and and your nay, nay" (Matthew 5:37)? Jesus is pretty down on the whole business of swearing oaths.

Silly girl, fundies never pay attention to that troublesome rebel, Jesus. He had the horrible habit of not judging prosititutes and tax collectors.

Silly girl, fundies never pay attention to that troublesome rebel, Jesus. He had the horrible habit of not judging prosititutes and tax collectors.

Oh worse...he was accused by the fundies of his day of being a party animal in addition to being a friend of tax collectors and prostitutes (Luke 7:34, Matthew 11:19). He would so not be accepted by Scott Brown, Dougie and the rest...

Swearing was pretty much prohibited in Judaism and Jesus would NEVER have sworn to anything. Swearing an oath requires a whole formal thing and, I believe, carries a death sentence if it is broken. But again, why do as Jesus would have done when its more convenient to do it your way.

Scott, Dougie, and the rest would have kicked Jesus out of the church before he even walked in the door. Jesus, you remember, wasn't particularly interested in his parents' protection by the age of 12, feeling it perfectly okay to stay behind when they went home, and not even tell them.

Oh, and Jesus spent a whole lot of time talking about loving people, and not so much time talking about courtship.

Honestly? Its the stuff that Jesus said and did that these people don't like that make me hope I'm still around when he comes back... I wanna watch when he speaks to them. Might make for a good laugh before he turns around and lays into me for taking pleasure in other peoples humiliation (Jesus said not to do that too, right?)

• 2 weeks later...

1. Anybody want to make book on whether we see Kelly Bradrick and Geneva Conference at the annual Brown Fourth of July party tomorrow? I don't understand betting but I'll give hearty odds in favor of a sighting or several.

2. Good ole Scott. He's starting a new opinoin blog. See

ncfic.org/weblogmodule/view/id/823/src/@random493e73d2154bd/

3. His current blog also talks about a genderless preschool experiment in Sweden. It sounds great to me. To him, not so much. See

ncfic.org/weblogmodule/view/id/822/src/@random493e73d2154bd/

4. And finally, he never fails to disappoint, offering this opinion about the preschool, which he guarantees will fail:

"[H]uman beings are terribly sickened and truncated and abused."

Why, yes, Scott, that's what we're all saying over at FreeJi..... oh, wait, what? Oh, by the preschool. Yes, IYHO, friend.

• 2 weeks later...

And the mistake is found - repeatedly on the new blog for Scott Brown, head honcho of NCFIC: scottbrownonline.com\speaking\

See how many Calibrations he has hosted in the past several weeks!!!! :clap: And I'm sure they were all very well attended and that no woman spoke aloud. 8-)

Or, on second thought, maybe "calibration" is the right term after all. Because it *is* all about "measuring up," in that circle, right?

Archived