IGNORED

Wow howdy! New boards? New members? (explain your username)

TheDarkSideLuke

I was only gone for a little while and now the whole place has changed! I guess I missed the initial rapture but it's ok because I caught the red-eye flight. :lol:

I've been lurking for a while but I did sign up on FJ a few months back (at the start of the loldoug thread) and had to come up with the perfect username and that got me to thinking about what the usernames of the fellowship of FJers actually mean.

It's explain your username week at FJ!

My name is Grace, aka TheDarkSideLuke. I'm a married geek, on the curvy/chubby side of life. I come from a fundie background, and married my darling husband against the wishes of my parents, though they are actually fine with him now. His name is Luke, and for the longest time I tried to make myself think of him as 'the dark side', that place that I really wanted to go but I knew I shouldn't. In the end I went there, it wasn't the dark side, and we have a lot of cats. I remember when we got engaged how worried I was that mom would kill me and the only thing I could say is "at least he has a Bible name!" But they were understanding, so we have a great marriage and that's all my parents were worried about in the first place. Now that they see this life, they're pretty happy with it though I never let them see me in my Leia costume from comic-cons! ;)

TL;DR: I'm a Star Wars geek who married a Star Wars geek named Luke who is a bad boy geek (if that exists). :clap:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm Sola, because... well I just am. I've been 'Sola' online for years now. As for my real name - I will not tell! I never give my real name online except to a very select few who have known me online for over ten years. These have ended up as friends in real life too.

Anyway, I'm married to Mr Sola and am mother to Stroppy Teen Sola and Little Miss Sola. We're all nerdy geeks too.

My username previously was "theemeraldskull", but for the new board, I changed it to just "emeraldskull". It is the title of the first novel I ever wrote.

I haven't got the slightest idea how I got my username. I created it more than a year before I ever started posting on the board. I don't remember at all why I chose it specifically. It was probably just the first thing that came into my mind at the time and it fit the theme of the board, sort of.

Soldevi comes from Magic: the Gathering card game I played when I was teenager. It is also funny shorter version of souldevil. There is mr. Soldevi and some furry Soldevis, too.

I reveal my real name only in Finnish forums, sorry.

I'll jump in while procrastinating about changing three cat boxes...

I'm a Monty Python geek who married a Monty Python geek. I'm also UnderMuchGrace.com (aka Cindy Kunsman), but I changed my user name because it was never really FJ appropriate. I was already signed up for another group on Yuku, and I found the board via my sitemeter. So I changed it after the rapture.

Some say I'm fundie, but must be ultra light -- Doggie says cannot be with a sense of humor. Married 21 years, no kids because God was mostly sovereign over my womb, too, but no QFers seems to believe that. :doh: Funny how that doesn't work both ways. Husband Lutheran turned Moravian and Episcopalian and then hung out with me in the Word of Faith Movement because he was love sick or something. 4 years in a Gothard and CGI church, then ended up at the same OPC church as Douggie Phillips until he started his cult. Do not make public where I worship, but I am not a member anywhere and will likely never be.

Did lots of blogging about patriarchy, thought reform and spiritual abuse. Got blackballed by a Christian apologetics organization in 2008 after I put a video of it online, challenging the weird beliefs (non-tradtional Christian ones) about patriarchy and complementarianism. Called names by big names, so I guess I'm somebody. Even got insulted twice by Voddie Baucham on his blog. :mrgreen: I heard that I'm a communist, the enemy of homeschooling, and a lesbian which my husband finds pretty surprising.

About my new name copied from a post on the Update on Jasmine:

For those who are not up on old Monty Python episodes, "Brainsample" comes from something like episode 7 in the first season, I think. Sad that I know that.

There are extra terrestrials (who are huge blancmanges) who want to win at Wimbledon, so they start turning everyone in England into Scottsmen, because everyone knows they are the worst at tennis. Mr. and Mrs. Brainsample end up defeating the blancmanges by showing up at Wimbledon and eating them, and I believe Scotland wins.

I thought in an obscure way, this was something like my iconoclastic activities and was the best reference to such that I could come up with from the Flying Circus. I tear down icons, and the Brainsamples ate the blacmanges who deceitfully transformed everyone into something they weren't (Scotsmen) so they could get something for themselves. But Graham Chapman and Eric Idle in drag had the last word and the last mouthful.

Sad. I know.

Hi

No exciting story about my user name - I call myself browngrl on line because IRL my husband calls me his brown girl.

I am a total science geek (have been known to do calculus for fun and have worn a pocket protector on occasion). My parents are religious but very understanding. When I flirted with other religions they tolerated it and supported me. Now I would say I'm agnostic but trending towards atheism. I still love to study religion and history (part of the geekiness I guess). My gate way into FJ was the prairie muffin manifesto. Soon after I read that I heard a quote from Queen Noor - she said "the coming conflicts will be between the moderates and the fundamentalists" and that really interested me so here I am.

I was here when the board first started under another name that I can't remember and an email that I can't access anymore, so I had to start again because I guess it becomes inactive after awhile. The "lucky" part of the name comes from the cat I begged for when I was five. When I re-registered I was just starting library school and had that end goal of becoming a university librarian. I also wanted something that flowed and was sort of associated with a pet. I couldn't get the "Lucky" part out of my head. I never actually intended to post, but yeah, I couldn't resist.

ETA: Brainsample, ohhhh, you're UMG! Okay! All of these new names are confusing.

What the hay! I am Scottish, hence the Celtic and I just decided to add Goddess when I got an account at a "Christian" message board. I did it to drive them nuts! (They freak out over anything pagan or Wicca related). I decided I liked it and have been using it since. :) It's better than some of the others I have used, quite frankly!

I really thought i replied. Browngrl - I met Queen Noor when she was here in Memphis, she was very nice. I liked her.

For my name...I work for a forest products company AKA trees and I am a mom.

It was meant to be something vague enough to not identify me.

My username speaks for itself :D Yes, I'm the youngest of a set of triplets. We're all female, and although Triplet1 and Triplet2 are genetically identical and I'm fraternal, I've still ended up being a lot like them in many ways, including appearance.

I'd describe myself as culturally Christian (brought up Church of England) but spiritually agnostic. I still enjoy going to traditional services at my family's church, though, because I love the feeling of connection with the past, the music is absolutely wonderful (the church has a traditional robed men and boys choir, a girls choir and skilled organists, so the standard is very high), the atmosphere is peaceful and I love the language used. My long-term boyfriend is Christian and properly believes in God etc. What else about me? I'm English, so I find some of the terminology used on FJ rather amusing - eg. pants! Oh, and I'm a qualified archivist. :)

My username comes from a funny story that happened in high school.

A friend and I were walking back to school after lunch and she asked me where my next class was, but I heard what instead of where, so I said, "Oh...Latin." She made fun of me, saying, "Really? I didn't know we had a hall called O Latin." It became an inside joke and for the rest of that year, I would go to O Latin after lunch and she would go to O Forensics. We thought it was just the funniest thing ever. I don't know why I started using it as an internet username, though.

I wish I had a funny/interesting story, but my name is my kids first initials followed by "mom", 'cause, well, I'm their mom.

Yeah, boring, I know.

My username is just my name. Boring, yes. When we switched over to this new FJ I was thinking of using "NotAnotherJName".

I saw someone here describe something as "Jesus Fight Club" and fell in love with it :)

I'm very unoriginal. Raine was my dad's nickname for me (I was supposed to be named Raine, after my grandpa Rainer, but my mom's mom decided it sounded like a hippie name so I got named after relatives I don't care much for instead). After a really assed up young adulthood, I started going by Raine because I didn't care for my legal name and liked it better. By the time I moved away from home, it's what everyone knew me as (to the point of my then-fiance hanging up on my mom when she called and asked for me by my other name because he didn't know who that was). I use it for most things online because it's easy for me to remember and I'm past the point of caring if someone finds out who I am or not.

I'm a longtime lurker.

My username? If you saw me in the street you might assume I'm fundie and come here to write lots of snarky stuff about me based on the 2 minutes you observed me. :twisted:

In truth, I am a very conservative Christian. And I don't use birth control :dance: But I don't fit into the fundie mold, or stereotypes about fundies. Square peg and all that. Some fundies hate me. Some of y'all will hate me. I'm used to it.

I'm here because I find the board fascinating. And i like snark.

<------------------------- meet Marmalade and some of his favorite catnip toys. He went to Rainbow Bridge last December. I've used the name on several different types of boards since he adopted us in 2002.

PS: My original post got et. This isn't the first time this has happened. :angry-banghead:

For the fellow Python fangirl (love Zoot...spank ME!), there's a :character-spamcan: smiley or two on p.4. No Python fan should be without his or her Spam. :mrgreen:

"Apple" is a nickname some friends of mine from college gave me (origins are hazy). I affixed "mad" to make up a fun alter ego for myself. Of course, I found out later that a "mad apple" is an eggplant, but never mind!

Mine is Koala because when my babies were little I always carried them in baby carriers/slings. My husband called them my koala babies.

<------------------------- meet Marmalade and some of his favorite catnip toys. He went to Rainbow Bridge last December. I've used the name on several different types of boards since he adopted us in 2002.

PS: My original post got et. This isn't the first time this has happened. :angry-banghead:

For the fellow Python fangirl (love Zoot...spank ME!), there's a :character-spamcan: smiley or two on p.4. No Python fan should be without his or her Spam. :mrgreen:

Love the cat. ;) He's gorgeous!

Vision O'Yahweh is a real fundie girl I saw on a blog. I just couldn't resist. It's such a 'meaningful name'.

Archived