IGNORED

Jimmy Carter - 39th President

FiveAcres

10 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I’m hoping TFG blows off the funeral. Nobody actually wants him there. Also, it’s nearly impossible for him to sit still for that long at an event that isn’t all about him. 

Would trump even know who Carter is?

• Upvote 5

Just now, SassyPants said:

Would trump even know who Carter is?

Somehow I doubt it.  Unless that fornicate Laura Loomer filled him in and told fornicate face that he was a clone of Biden or some such.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Some further news about Rosalynn Carter today;

Rosalynn Carter, the former first lady of the United States and wife of former President Jimmy Carter, has dementia, the Carter Center announced on Tuesday.

“The Carter family is sharing that former First Lady Rosalynn Carter has dementia. She continues to live happily at home with her husband, enjoying spring in Plains and visits with loved ones,” the center announced. Additional details about Carter, 95, were not immediately provided and the Center said it did not expect to comment further.

The Center said that, in sharing news of Carter’s diagnosis, it helped to “increase important conversations at kitchen tables and in doctor’s offices around the country.” As first lady, Carter made mental health advocacy her platform and formed a presidential commission on the matter during her time in the White House, a legacy that continues today.

President Carter, 98, began home hospice care in February after a series of short hospital stays.

• Sad 8
  • Thank You 6

• 1 month later...

77 years…

• Love 15

On 7/6/2023 at 7:58 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

77 years…

They are such awesome people. During my lifetime, He is the President/ former President of the US, with the most personal integrity. I admire the Carters very much.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Yesterday was Rosalynn's 96th birthday. This was in the Washington Post: "As Rosalynn turns 96, the Carters continue to defy the odds"

As Rosalynn Carter turns 96 on Friday and Jimmy Carter nears 99, the couple continues to defy the odds.

Despite serious health problems — Jimmy Carter entered hospice six months ago and Rosalynn has dementia — they still spend most days sitting beside each other in the living room of the bungalow they built in 1961 in Plains, Ga. Family and friends who see them say that they enjoy some surprisingly good days and that this summer they even went for a ride with the Secret Service to watch Fourth of July fireworks in their hometown.

Jimmy Carter is often out of bed first, waiting in his recliner for his wife to emerge. “Rosalynn comes in the room and makes a beeline for this chair and bends over and kisses him,” said Jill Stuckey, a close friend. They spend many hours sitting side by side.

Jimmy Carter continues to follow the news, including criminal charges filed over former president Donald Trump’s alleged efforts to overturn the 2020 election, according to family and friends. Trump was indicted again Monday, this time in Carter’s home state of Georgia, on criminal charges related to his alleged efforts to undo his loss there.

Carter, a Democrat who spent years after the White House monitoring voting and promoting fair elections around the world, has publicly criticized Trump’s attempts to thwart the democratic process. Trump, a Republican, in turn has called Carter “a terrible president.”

Jimmy Carter has now lived longer than any other U.S. president. The couple’s 77-year marriage is in the presidential record books, too. Rosalynn is the second-oldest first lady in history. Bess Truman, who died at age 97, has held that record for more than four decades.

“Never count Jimmy Carter out,” said Gerald Rafshoon, who was Carter’s White House spokesman. “When he sets a goal, he gets there. ”

Rafshoon and others believe a key reason the Carters keep going is that neither wants to leave the other.

Carter has done things many thought impossible. When the young Georgia governor entered the 1976 presidential race, a headline in the Atlanta Constitution read, “Jimmy Who is Running for What?”

The former president has credited Rosalynn with helping him beat the odds. It was his unwillingness to leave Rosalynn home alone that led to his February decision to opt out of any more “medical intervention,” a close family member said. Jimmy Carter, who had survived melanoma that had spread to the brain as well as injuries from several falls, said he wouldn’t go to the hospital anymore.

When the locals in Plains, where most people know the Carters, first heard Jimmy Carter had entered hospice, many canceled trips so they would not miss his funeral.

But as weeks passed and word spread that Carter was listening to audiobooks and talking about the latest news, somber comments turned to quips about how Carter wants to set a record for how long he lives in hospice.

Still, it has not been easy for Carter. He took pride in how active he remained well into his 90s, including a daily swim, and he is physically declining.

“It can be sad,” said one close relative, who like others said they did not want to be quoted talking about the former president’s health.

Rosalynn is more mobile than her husband, who uses a wheelchair. She gets around with a walker. But the former first lady, who so often would finish her husband’s sentences about their White House days or globe-trotting travels, now struggles with recall. Three months ago, the Carter Center publicly disclosed her dementia, noting that she has been a longtime advocate for bringing greater awareness to mental health issues.

But Rosalynn has moments of clarity. Several people have heard the former first lady laugh at inside jokes and recount long-ago moments with exquisite detail in recent weeks.

She enjoys spending time with her family, said Jason Carter, the couple’s grandson. “She likes having people around and is joyful,” he said.

Although his health varies by day, Jimmy Carter remains mentally sharp. “Some days he’s talking about world events, and other days he just wants to talk about the Braves,” said Jason Carter, referring to the Atlanta Braves, the former president’s favorite baseball team.

Hugo Wentzel, the son of Amy Carter, the couple’s youngest child, last week said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly that his grandfather is “really sick.” But he also said of the man he calls Papa, “he always wants to be doing something with his mind, so he’s trying to keep himself busy.”

Carter has joked about how often he is described as a better ex-president than president. With low public approval ratings after one term in the White House, Carter lost in a landslide to Ronald Reagan in 1980. But he lived long enough to see a shift in public assessment of his presidency.

Historians are increasingly praising his early warnings on climate change, his creation of the Department of Energy, and the Camp David Accords that led to a historic peace deal between Egypt and Israel. That and a lifetime of foreign policy work earned him a Nobel Peace Prize in 2002.

“I think he is gratified that people are reconsidering his presidency,” said Meredith Evans, the director of the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum in Atlanta.

To mark Rosalynn’s 96th birthday, the museum’s admission price will drop Friday from the usual $12 for most adults to 96 cents. On Carter’s upcoming birthday on Oct. 1, admission will be 99 cents. The museum director said visitors often remark on the fact that the Carters have been married for 77 years but met as children. “They say, ‘Oh my goodness! That’s a long time, that’s a love story,” Evans said.

Carter, whose Secret Service name was Deacon because he is such a religious man, has said he is at peace with whatever happens next. He has seemed ready to let go at times this summer, relatives and friends said, but then he rallies.

• Thank You 5
  • Love 7

His grandson Josh Carter said that the Carters are in the final chapter.

Josh Carter told People that the Carter family has worked to be at peace with whatever comes next over the past several months.

“It’s clear we’re in the final chapter,” Josh Carter told People. “Odds are I’m gonna lose my grandfather before my grandmother. He’s in hospice care and she’s not, and it’s just math.”

For now, the family is focused on showing their love and appreciation for the lives and opportunities the couple gave them.

• Sad 4
  • Thank You 7

3 hours ago, 47of74 said:

His grandson Josh Carter said that the Carters are in the final chapter.

Very sadly, I don't anticipate Roslyn living much longer than Jimmy. So many times especially in long and deeply loving relationships, when one spouse passes the other one does within a year. Honestly it's like they were both keeping each other going and when one goes the other just gives up.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 10

On 8/20/2023 at 12:47 PM, Audrey2 said:

Very sadly, I don't anticipate Roslyn living much longer than Jimmy. So many times especially in long and deeply loving relationships, when one spouse passes the other one does within a year. Honestly it's like they were both keeping each other going and when one goes the other just gives up.

My mom just told me my paternal grandma's last surviving brother passed away yesterday.  My great-uncle's wife died this past May.  They had been married 61 years.  More likely than not his wife's passing had been the reason for his passing even if there is an official medical reason.   

• Upvote 1
  • Love 8

• 4 weeks later...

Jason Carter had another update on his grandparents. 

Former President Jimmy Carter and former first lady Rosalynn Carter’s grandson said the couple is “coming to the end” but remain together and in love. 

Jason Carter, the couple’s grandson, is the chairman of The Carter Center and told USA Today Thursday that they are happy. 

“They are together. They are at home. They are in love, and I don’t think anyone gets more than that,” he said. “I mean, it’s a perfect situation for this time in their lives.” 

Jason Carter said President Biden still communicates with his grandfather “just to let him know that he’s continuing to think about my grandfather, pray for him.” 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

The Carters took a ride to the Plains Peanut Festival today

Former President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, took a ride through the Plains Peanut Festival in Plains, Georgia, on Saturday, the Carter Center said in a social media post.

“Beautiful day for President & Mrs. Carter to enjoy a ride through the Plains Peanut Festival! And just a week before he turns 99. We’re betting peanut butter ice cream is on the menu for lunch! #JimmyCarter99,” the Carter Center said in a tweet sharing a video of the Carters riding in an SUV down a street lined with festival-goers.

Erikka Bettis Williams, who took the video, said she had no idea that the Carters would be there.

“Total surprise! The crowd was sort of slow to react at first because they didn’t realize they were there. It was such a great surprise and yes, we sang ‘Happy Birthday’!” she told CNN.

So glad they could make it.  If Jimmy makes it to 99 great but if not I'm at peace with it as well.  He's more than deserved a great reward in the afterlife. 

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

Today is Jimmy’s 99th birthday. This is one of the well wishers:

I

• Love 8

Another nice message:

• Upvote 2
  • Love 9

• 1 month later...

Mrs Rosalynn Carter has now entered hospice care.  I predict she and Jimmy will go within hours of each other like those long married couples you hear about.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 5

23 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

She's  gone.  RIP.

Yes, I just heard this myself.

Rosalynn Carter, who as first lady worked tirelessly on behalf of mental health reform and professionalized the role of the president’s spouse, died Sunday at the age of 96, according to the Carter Center.

Rosalynn Carter passed away peacefully with family by her side at her home in Plains, Georgia, the center said in a statement.

“Rosalynn was my equal partner in everything I ever accomplished,” her husband, former President Jimmy Carter, said. “She gave me wise guidance and encouragement when I needed it. As long as Rosalynn was in the world, I always knew somebody loved and supported me.”

The Carter Center announced Friday that the former first lady had entered hospice care. She was diagnosed with dementia in May. Her husband began home hospice care in February 2023, following a series of hospital stays.

Rest in peace Rosalynn. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 9

2 hours ago, SPHASH said:

She's  gone.  RIP.

We all knew it was coming, still really sad though.  A love like theirs is magical. I suspect he won’t be too long behind and they’ll be reunited.  

• I Agree 11

A soundbite from an old interview:

• Upvote 2
  • Love 14

58 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I agree with this:

image.png.da764899f3facb4729a78f484c90904c.png

As incomprehensible as the conservative Evangelical support of Trump is to me, their love of Melania makes even less sense. 

Rosalynn Carter was a class act and a lovely human being. May she rest in peace.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 11