IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 11: She's a Scarab Beetle

Coconut Flan

Are we talking about the Greville Kokoshnik Emerald Tiara? Because if so the Queen would hardly Have had her beloved GD wear it for her wedding if there were going to be an uproar. My  gut says Eugenie had expressed her fondness for it and her wish to have as her wedding tiara of choice and Granny had her back.  The imported granddaughter in Law was out of luck. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I will defend M about the „I should get paid for this“ comment. Kind of. I can see it as something you mutter under your breath when it’s something really boring or annoying. So you don’t really expect others to pay you for it even though it’s a pita. Doesn’t make her look better one bit though. Better would be, she never said anything like it. 

It is my understanding the her expensive wardrobe was covered and she was living rent free, so she was technically paid for very little work.

• Upvote 4

I expect that pretty much all of the Queen's tiaras are lovely and as long as the tiara went with the dress, one should gracefully accept what was on offer. 

That being said, Beatrice and Eugenie were close with their grandmother and may have had more of an attachment to certain pieces of jewelry or tiaras (more so than someone who had not grown up in the royal family) because this was their granny. It wouldn't surprise me at all if any of the granddaughters at one time or another expressed an interest in a tiara for their eventual wedding. I'm guessing the Queen probably did take note of that and not lend out those pieces for other weddings.

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Are we talking about the Greville Kokoshnik Emerald Tiara? Because if so the Queen would hardly Have had her beloved GD wear it for her wedding if there were going to be an uproar. My  gut says Eugenie had expressed her fondness for it and her wish to have as her wedding tiara of choice and Granny had her back.  The imported granddaughter in Law was out of luck. 

I didn't look hard for the article I was first reading from, but the last article I found said this was the tiara Meghan wanted to wear.  I had wondered if there were two tiaras with emeralds, but haven't seen another one pictured.  I wasn't really paying attention at the time.

Greville Emerald Kokoshnik tiara

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ali said:

It is my understanding the her expensive wardrobe was covered and she was living rent free, so she was technically paid for very little work.

Free rent, a wardrobe allowance that covered tens of thousands of pounds of designer clothes, free 24/7 security, free staff, free transportation for work purposes and an annual allowance via the Sovereign's Grant. But, sure, she should have got extra for the horrid chore of greeting the public. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Baxter said:

I'm guessing the Queen probably did take note of that and not lend out those pieces for other weddings.

I think this is the most logical explanation for tiara!gate

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Just from a human perspective...must have been weird and disorienting to not be able to have what you want for your wedding day...have to think about the politics and major social ramifications. 

I kinda would have been annoyed over tiaras too. But my response probably would have been "fine no tiara" rather than wearing one that wasn't quite right to me....

and I guess then I would have gotten horrible disgraceful greedy bride doesn't want tiara offered! Shocker! 

In real life I wore no wedding dress, picked flowers from a field to put in my hair and got married in a 70s wood paneled side room in the court house.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

Now I am reading that their staff has published a book about their life with the Sussexes.  And in it, they say that the tiara that caused such an uproar possibly had a sketchy Russian history and Elizabeth didn't want Meghan to have to deal with any uproar over it being seen.

Do you know the book’s author & title?

That is whose wedding she announced her pregnancy at right ?
  • Upvote 5

There are quite a few pieces of Jewelry in Royal family vaults that have never been seen in decades because no one has worn them or maybe one lady did 50 years ago. The Greville Emerald Tiara has been the family collection since 1942 but this is the first time it’s been worn at all. 

• Upvote 2

I don’t think the big drama was about the type of tiara. How would she gave known about the one for Eugenie in the first place? It’s not as if they give the bride a tour through all the boxes. They will get offered pre-selected options. Maybe 2-5? The York’s probably had a better idea what granny had in her stash, which is the normal insider benefit. 
I think IF M thought she could have one of the better known ones and either it was one that is for the monarch/spouse or not on offer she would have maybe expressed disappointment but that’s it. 
I absolutely believe there was a problem with the tiara, veil and hairstyle combination. Because let’s face it. Her hairstyle looked exactly as if the weight and pull of tiara and especially the long veil completely dragged it apart. So the appointment ruffle with Angela Kelly seems more reasonable.

@tabitha2 they might have to walk behind the Cambridgelings. I am a petty bitch sometimes and I would let the three walk behind each other (accompanied by a nanny or godparent or whatever). So they would be in fifth place. But yeah…… that’s me

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

Well Behind Charlotte as the females have their own pecking order but I am not actually sure if children are included in practice and not just on paper. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I do wonder why H&M went to this grieve walkabout. It’s not part of their job anymore? 

I am trying to attribute good vibes to H&M and say that, Harry at least, loves William, Kate, and his dad, and wanted to be there to draw together with them and comfort each other. Admiring the flowers was simple enough. Being with William was priceless.

I don't know Megan's intentions. I don't think she cared overmuch for the Queen, nor do I think she cares much for the remaining royal family members. Comforting Harry? I'm not sure. Being seen? more likely.

AFA the tiara thing, I thought M wanted the Greville Emerald Kokoshnick, learned that it was reserved for her husband's cousin, and threw a fit. I thought the one she got was streamlined, more modern, and quite beautiful, and I think it suited her better than the Greville would have. The Greville definitely suited Eugenie (right?) better. It seemed made for her. 

I don't doubt that HMTQ would have let her grand daughters try them on, even saying, when they were ten, "Oh, Granny, when I get married I want to wear THAT one!" And if they had, and I were Queen, I'd have saved it for them..

Whoever picked the tiaras for the brides did a damn good job of matching tiara to bride, IMHO.  Kate's wasn't my favorite, but I still haven't seen one I would have chosen over the one she wore to her wedding. 

I love the tiaras. Maybe I should start a blog called "Tiara Talk." LOL

• Upvote 7

Kate’s tiara was so fugly. I remember watching her wedding and being so disappointed in the tiara choice. 

Meghan’s tiara was beautiful and suited her perfectly but if the rumours are true, I don’t blame her for wanting the one Eugenie wore. It was simply perfection. 

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I don’t think the big drama was about the type of tiara. How would she gave known about the one for Eugenie in the first place? It’s not as if they give the bride a tour through all the boxes. They will get offered pre-selected options. Maybe 2-5? The York’s probably had a better idea what granny had in her stash, which is the normal insider benefit. 
I think IF M thought she could have one of the better known ones and either it was one that is for the monarch/spouse or not on offer she would have maybe expressed disappointment but that’s it. 
I absolutely believe there was a problem with the tiara, veil and hairstyle combination. Because let’s face it. Her hairstyle looked exactly as if the weight and pull of tiara and especially the long veil completely dragged it apart. So the appointment ruffle with Angela Kelly seems more reasonable.

According to two books now, the argument was over getting the tiara for a hair test. They demanded it at the last minute. Believe it or not, there are protocols involved in taking a priceless tiara out of the vaults at BP. One is that you have to arrange it in advance. And Angela Kelly was not even in London that day to handle it. 

BUT that's not the explanation for the hot mess that her hair was. Her stylist told the world the week of the wedding that falling out was how they planned it. It was explained as her "signature style" of a "messy bun".  And googling just now, I saw one article that prior to that speculated that she would "break royal protocol" by leaving her hair down, because she was a revolutionary. Because no royal bride has ever left her hair down. Certainly not the new Princess of Wales. That reminded me of the breathless television commentator the day of the wedding who explained that Meghan had revolutionized the monarchy by having a woman design her dress. This must have been startling news to Sarah Burton (Catherine's dress for McQueen), Lindka Cierach (The Duchess of York's), and Elizabeth Emmanuel (Diana's along with her husband). 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Just from a human perspective...must have been weird and disorienting to not be able to have what you want for your wedding day...have to think about the politics and major social ramifications. 

I kinda would have been annoyed over tiaras too. But my response probably would have been "fine no tiara" rather than wearing one that wasn't quite right to me....

and I guess then I would have gotten horrible disgraceful greedy bride doesn't want tiara offered! Shocker! 

In real life I wore no wedding dress, picked flowers from a field to put in my hair and got married in a 70s wood paneled side room in the court house.

I read about the life of the royals, and especially that of Kate and Meghan (when she was “working”) and it’s an awful lot like the SAHD movement with added glitz and sophistication.

They do get a choice as to whether to join the family or not.

But in exchange they give up tremendous agency. No freedom of speech, no freedom of religion, told what to wear and how to behave…

If a country votes to keep the institution because it is meaningful and helpful to them, have at it.

But on a human level, it’s pretty grotesque.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

Here is a slightly different take on why  Meghan made a mistake to leave  the RF when she did. According to this author, if Meghan really wanted to stand up for women’s rights, working with Camilla, Kate and Sophie right now would be the most effective way.  The RF, the author thinks, is about to be revolutionized by the strong women who have married into it.Meghan’s Biggest Mistake.

[Camilla is a ]Queen Consort whose key focus since marrying the then-Prince of Wales in 2005 has been tackling domestic violence and rape. Not only has Camilla tirelessly drawn attention to the issues but has done things like have her small staff help make up hundreds of wash bags for sexual assault victims to help them feel "more human" (as she has put it) after having to undergo forensic examinations.

Last year, she became the patron of Nigeria's first sexual assault crisis centre. (The Queen Consort has said that she got started after meeting a domestic violence survivor, telling Vogue earlier this year: "I'd just like to do anything to help".)  [And she has said she will continue her work now that she is QC.]

Sophie, Countess of Wessex, now focuses her work on sexual violence in war zones, having travelled to Kosovo, Sierra Leone and South Sudan to meet with and support victims. "If I can prod the consciences of those who may be able to do more to try and prevent it, and can help get justice for survivors, I will do everything I can," the countess told the Times' legendary war journalist Christina Lamb in 2020.

Last but not least, Kate, Princess of Wales might register lower on the Germaine Greer scale but she has become a true force in her own right and is the first female HRH to set up her own solo foundation, with a focus on reducing addiction and homelessness for future generations, along with her ongoing work on maternal mental health.

Which is to say, we're a hell of a long way away from when Queen Elizabeth reportedly urged Diana, Princess of Wales to focus on "nice" charities.

The article’s attitude to Meghan seems to be that she has talked the talk but not been able to walk the walk.  All in all, however, the essay focuses on how the monarchy is becoming feminized.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

Here is a slightly different take on why  Meghan made a mistake to leave  the RF when she did. According to this author, if Meghan really wanted to stand up for women’s rights, working with Camilla, Kate and Sophie right now would be the most effective way.  The RF, the author thinks, is about to be revolutionized by the strong women who have married into it.Meghan’s Biggest Mistake.

The article’s attitude to Meghan seems to be that she has talked the talk but not been able to walk the walk.  All in all, however, the essay focuses on how the monarchy is becoming feminized.  

Meghan doesn't seem to be able to follow through. That's why she has only talked the talk. She goes all out over an issue for five minutes (40x40, abortion rights, parental leave, etc...) then seems to forget about it entirely. 

And I've said for awhile now, that there are members of the BRF focusing time and attention on women's issues while Meghan and Sunshine Sachs were busy convincing people that Meghan was a revolutionary for saying she would. Just as revolutionary as having a woman design her wedding dress. 

• Upvote 9

6 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I am trying to attribute good vibes to H&M and say that, Harry at least, loves William, Kate, and his dad, and wanted to be there to draw together with them and comfort each other. Admiring the flowers was simple enough. Being with William was priceless.

I don't know Megan's intentions. I don't think she cared overmuch for the Queen, nor do I think she cares much for the remaining royal family members. Comforting Harry? I'm not sure. Being seen? more likely.

AFA the tiara thing, I thought M wanted the Greville Emerald Kokoshnick, learned that it was reserved for her husband's cousin, and threw a fit. I thought the one she got was streamlined, more modern, and quite beautiful, and I think it suited her better than the Greville would have. The Greville definitely suited Eugenie (right?) better. It seemed made for her. 

I don't doubt that HMTQ would have let her grand daughters try them on, even saying, when they were ten, "Oh, Granny, when I get married I want to wear THAT one!" And if they had, and I were Queen, I'd have saved it for them..

Whoever picked the tiaras for the brides did a damn good job of matching tiara to bride, IMHO.  Kate's wasn't my favorite, but I still haven't seen one I would have chosen over the one she wore to her wedding. 

I love the tiaras. Maybe I should start a blog called "Tiara Talk." LOL

But still- how did she even know about the tiara? It had never been worn by the RF and it wasn’t even clear if it was still in their possession IF you even knew about it. It was in the vault for over 50 years. How exactly would M ever had heard about it? I highly doubt they showed it to her only to say, sorry can’t have that one though.

I think I might be in the minority, but I really like the Cartier Halo on Kate. Like the Papyrus/Lotus Flower tiara it’s smaller and suits her hairstyles her well. The all diamond look is just so classic. I wish she would either stick to this type (maybe bringing out the Stratmore Rose?) or accept that you need serious puff to pull of the big guns. The handful of times she wore the Lovers Knot were disappointing because it just drowned her completely and sat awkward on her head. I hope she will adjust and bring out the Girls of Ireland and Great Britain and all the other pieces. The BRF really needs more tiara engagements.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Maybe she just googled one of the many Tiara webpages that have an exhaustive list of what’s in the vault or is suspected to be in the vault and chose the Greville. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

Oh good grief. Feminist powerhouse? Clearly that author is out of touch with most of the (predominately non white) former colonies that see the BRF as….representing the formal colony. 

Women with limited agency are going to promote women having agency.

We are back to grotesque.

• Upvote 1

Just now, tabitha2 said:

Maybe she just googled one of the many Tiara webpages that have an exhaustive list of what’s in the vault or is suspected to be in the vault and chose the Greville. 

Might be, but I don’t think there were many reports on it. Most well known tiara webpages expressed surprise and only wrote longer articles including actual pictures after Eugenie’s wedding. I certainly still haven’t seen any pictures that are from before. I can see her picking something better known and being disappointed it wasn’t in her selection. I can see her expressing quite some emotions about this to H, who maybe tried to make it happen only to be told no (and we all know how well spoiled people take no’s sometimes). But I really don’t think this particular tiara was the one if there ever was drama about the choice of tiaras.

It’s funny, because I don’t know that the Royal Family is more, or less grotesque than Hollywood that way.  I would argue that women tend to have limited agency in both arenas.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

12 minutes ago, treehugger said:

It’s funny, because I don’t know that the Royal Family is more, or less grotesque than Hollywood that way.  I would argue that women tend to have limited agency in both arenas.  

I agree. When thinking about who/what has pushed women’s rights forward, Hollywood isn’t high on the list. 

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic