IGNORED

Shinzo Abe Assassinated

47of74

Former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe was assassinated. 

Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe has been assassinated while giving a campaign speech in southern Japan

Abe, 67, immediately collapsed after being shot in the neck and was rushed to hospital

He was pronounced dead about five hours later at 5pm local time (9am UK time)

The suspected attacker - reported to be a male in his 40s - was tackled at the scene and arrested

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

There are already people who are like "Ha! I told you! Gun control doesn't work!!!!" because of this.

Which is ridiculous. Japan has like 10 shooting deaths a year, the US has more than 10 times that per DAY. And the dude apparently built the gun himself. 

We can't have freaking Kinder Eggs in the US because "OMG some kid might choke on the giant obviously plastic ball that's inside them" but "banning guns doesn't work"? Really? 

Seems like the thing designed solely to kill things is a greater danger than a slight choking hazard risk. Why not ban both? 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Alisamer said:

There are already people who are like "Ha! I told you! Gun control doesn't work!!!!" because of this.

Which is ridiculous. Japan has like 10 shooting deaths a year, the US has more than 10 times that per DAY. And the dude apparently built the gun himself. 

We can't have freaking Kinder Eggs in the US because "OMG some kid might choke on the giant obviously plastic ball that's inside them" but "banning guns doesn't work"? Really? 

Seems like the thing designed solely to kill things is a greater danger than a slight choking hazard risk. Why not ban both? 

Yeah if it was people I knew personally they’d be getting a trespass notice early this week. Along with fucking directives if they’re going to visit my parents or siblings I want to know a goddamn week in advance so that I won’t be there. 

• Upvote 4

What a disaster! My condolences to his family, his friends, and the people of Japan.

• Upvote 4

Low-level Japanophile here and I feel shaken nearly to my core. NO PLACE on Earth is safe from hatred!  

I know that here in the US perpetrators of hideous crimes are no longer profiled nor discussed in mainstream media, the theory bring that discussing them is tantamount to presenting them as celebrities to impressionable people on the brink. 

I hope Japan has a different approach. I want to know about the foul stench who did thus; what group of people does he hate (that he associated Mr. Abe with) and why.  

A friend whose life has been affected terribly by loved ones’ mental illness is adamant that shooters aren’t sick, they’re spoiled, coddled brats who’ve never suffered consequences for their misdeeds.  I don’t know whether I agree but I want more information…

RIP, Mr. Abe.  I don’t know what to say to the people of Japan. “I’m sorry” occurs.  

Following 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I hope Japan has a different approach. I want to know about the foul stench who did thus; what group of people does he hate (that he associated Mr. Abe with) and why.

I also want to know.  Does he also belong to a group?  What compelled him to do this in a society where it's so against the norm?

I'm also interested in how, and how quickly, the Japanese legal system deals with it.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2