IGNORED

Theobros, Patriarchs, Dominionists, Christofascists et al.

Howl

A woman on twitter  yesterday referred to theobro histrionics and pearl clutching over a theological point made by a woman as a brouhaha bro-haha. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 12

• 3 weeks later...

This is pretty damned horrifying: 

How a far-right, Christian cellphone company ‘took over’ four Texas school boards   Patriot Mobile markets itself as “America’s only Christian conservative wireless provider.” Now the Trump-aligned company is on a mission to win control of Texas school boards.

I think these school boards are primarily in the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex, but I can see how it can easily happen in other areas. 

These shitheads are the ones who mandated placing privately provided "In God We Trust" placards in schools. 

Hardly anyone pays attention to school board elections and the voter turn out can be abysmally low, making it low hanging targets for takeovers.  

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gregg Harris is running for City Council in Silverton, OR.

With his new wife, he appears to be back in the terrarium business and has also entered the B & B game. In addition to providing a place to stay, Gregg & Bonnie host planning seminars for pushing the same dominionist & Christian nationalist shite heʻs always promoted:

The Noble Inn also offers its own calendar of training events presented by your host, Gregg Harris. My workshops and seminars address topics related to Christian family life, Christian household formation, and local church reformation. My seminars may be incorporated into the planning retreats of my guests in order to assist in vision-casting and the practical aspects of founding any new organization.

Staying at The Noble Inn is a step back in time to a simpler way of life in the early 1900s.  That was a time of great initiative when many great social & religious institutions were founded. Among them were the Public Library Movement, the YMCA, and the Public Schools. Many of those old institutions have drifted away from their original vision and purpose. Some now oppose the very things they were originally founded to achieve. For that reason, a new generation of Founding Fathers & Mothers is needed to either reform those institutions or replace them. 

Meanwhile, his former daughter-in-law, Shannon Bonne (once married to Josh Harris), will be publishing her memoir in 2023:

ACTRESS. SINGER. COMPOSER. feminist. wild woman. permission giver.

Currently, I am writing a memoir about my former life as a pastor's wife in an American evangelical mega-church and network originally based in the Washington, DC area. The book is being published by Broadleaf Books and will be released sometime in 2023.

The book will share the story of how I compromised my own authenticity and identity to meet the demands of church leaders and how I embraced a decidedly patriarchal world perpetuated even by the women. I'll share how my slow death in that environment initiated my journey of change and becoming. I hope the book will be a voice of hope and permission for women who are looking to reclaim connection with themselves, their values, and their dreams.

In addition to writing you will find me composing, singing, and performing silly antics. For more information about me or any of my work, please don't hesitate to contact me. Follow me on instagram @shannon.bonne and @shannonbonnelive or visit my website @ shannonbonne.com

• Disgust 1
  • Thank You 5

Staying at The Noble Inn is a step back in time to a simpler way of life in the early 1900s.  That was a time of great initiative when many great social & religious institutions were founded. Among them were the Public Library Movement, the YMCA, and the Public Schools. 

Maybe the school system became more formalized at the turn of the century, but at least basic schooling was of great importance even in the 1800s.   Here in Texas, early German and Czech settlements always set up a church and a school.  

THESE. PEOPLE.  Always with some kind of bullshit grift. "My seminars may be incorporated into the planning retreats of my guests in order to assist in vision casting..."    Vision casting to allow you to set up your own grift...

22 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Meanwhile, his former daughter-in-law, Shannon Bonne (once married to Josh Harris), will be publishing her memoir in 2023:

Damn, I hope she brings the tea! 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

Adds Shannon's book to the top of my list for future reading. I will be waiting a minute and a half if ever before I crack open anything written by Josh Harris. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Howl said:

Damn, I hope she brings the tea! 

She has been pretty circumspect but a couple of IG posts while she was writing lead me to think that the Mahaneys -- CJ & Carolyn -- will not come off very well. 

Her few public post-divorce comments on Josh are positive. Whatever went on there has not caused them to have a combative relationship. 

Just now, Howl said:

Whoa, what happened to Greg Harris' first wife?  Is he a widower or divorced?

Widower. His first wife, Sono Harris & mother of Josh et al., died of cancer over 10 years ago & Gregg remarried in 2019.

606129098_HarrisBrothersin2019.thumb.jpg.a0b276158c7928277deaff20607f357b.jpg

• Thank You 3

5 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

She has been pretty circumspect but a couple of IG posts while she was writing lead me to think that the Mahaneys -- CJ & Carolyn -- will not come off very well. 

I sure hope so. I hope she drags all the SGM garbage into the light in that book. I’m sure she saw plenty of it. 

• I Agree 4

I have mixed feelings about the book description. I will read it, and I imagine it will bring lots into the light and have a much more satisfying reveal than, say, Jinger's.

But it reminds me of how Josh Harris immediately started shilling his personalized deconstruction seminars once he was full on deconstructing. It's like: okay, well, as a pastor's wife, you were in a position of power and complicit in a church that did great harm. Yes, you were a victim in some ways, but you also fed the system, enabled it, and now are going to make money after gracing the world with your reflections on your perspective on it. 

Something about Shannon's voice in the book description is strikingly narcissistic. To me, it would be like if M is for Mama deconstructed, started a new instagram page, and then sold a new book about how she was a victim of the fundamentalism she so thoroughly propagated but now she sees everything so clearly.

I'm not sure why Jinger's book seems slightly less that way - though still heavy on the evangelizing to the new "right way." Maybe because Jinger was so young when she got her platform and then exited fairly quickly? Yes, they've claimed an influencer spotlight, but I wonder how much of that is headship decision making.

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1

@neuroticcat I agree with your perspective. I wonder if the difference between Shannon and Jinger is that I think Jinger actually believes she has found freedom, and she is young and wanting both to share her experience and make a profit as an author as well. Shannon just seems more calculating, like Josh, it hits me wrong.  There seems to more of a vendetta based on the description of Shannon’s book.  it seems less of a “look what I discovered!” and more of an FU to a certain part of her life.  I’m sure it will be more interesting, but I think it may need to be taken with a lot of salt.  I haven’t read either book though, so I could be way off base. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, treehugger said:

I haven’t read either book though, so I could be way off base. 

The book is supposed to come out in 2023. I will definitely read it but @treehugger and @neuroticcat make good points.

Josh, Shannon & their kids got out of Dodge at the Sovereign Grace mothership, moved to Vancouver BC so he could go to seminary, and then became permanent residents of Canada within a three years of their arrival.

• Upvote 1

Dang, if I’d known papa Gregg was wife shopping, I’d have stayed at our old church and worked the coffee team with him 😏

HAHAHAHAHA no. But I do wonder if he met his new wife there.

Poor Silverton. It’s such a beautiful little town. There are a lot of right wing loonies there, although it was in the news several years back for having elected the first trans mayor in Oregon’s history. It might’ve been a national story, I can’t remember now.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

I would bet anything that the elders at Mark’s new church just got a report of adultery, and Mark’s trying to get one step ahead of them for when the news comes out. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

On 8/7/2022 at 7:14 AM, danvillebelle said:

Wow.  This quote in the replies:  No one is meaner than a Christian woman proving how nice she is to defend her precarious role in the system.

That defines SO MANY women we've discussed here, especially those like Abbie Halberstadt.  She tries to sound nice, and she always sounds mean as a snake and unbearably smug.

Also poor Anna Duggar

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

I would bet anything that the elders at Mark’s new church just got a report of adultery, and Mark’s trying to get one step ahead of them for when the news comes out. 

What a joke. This clip has it all: a vague story that could be theoretically true (did someone somewhere say that only an allegation of adultery would get him out of the pulpit?) plus his spiritualese about him and Grace magically hearing from God in the same moment so they could just walk away from the church he had previously stated he was committed to for forever - and that his quitting was God's preservation from a really dangerous situation for his family. Come on, Mark. 

Even if it were true, it's pretty damning that all those men knew that personal adultery is the only thing that would get Mark Driscoll to step down. Not financial shenanigans or yelling at people or spiritually abusing so many. 

Real question is: why is he confiding something he's "never told anyone else before" to his current congregation now?

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

For as sexually explicit as some of his sermons were at Mars Hill I’d be floored if he weren’t committing adultery. 

For as sexually explicit as they were, and as much as he dislikes women, I wouldn’t be surprised if he got found pulling a Ted Haggard one of these days. 

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, Columbia said:

For as sexually explicit as they were, and as much as he dislikes women, I wouldn’t be surprised if he got found pulling a Ted Haggard one of these days. 

Yeah, or that. Some form of sexual “sin” will be his next downfall. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Yeah, or that. Some form of sexual “sin” will be his next downfall. 

And you know he still won’t face any consequences. He’ll just run off to North Carolina or Tennessee or somewhere like that and start a new church there. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not quite sure where to post this information but Kathryn Joyce recently published this dense, long-form article on the ideological quarrels and splits among what passes for the intelligentsia of right-wing Christo-fascists:

Earlier this month, after the midterms failed to deliver a promised "red wave," those fights spilled into the headlines, as Republicans' disappointed hopes led to some of the first open shots in what's been a cold civil war over the party's future. Partly that fight revolves around whether Donald Trump or Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis will lead the GOP into the 2024 presidential election. But it goes much deeper than that, and the fight also has implications that go well beyond the right....

The right-wing populist wave that elected Donald Trump in 2016, like the U.K.'s Brexit vote a few months earlier, is typically described as a watershed moment for conservatism. But the fact of the Trump revolution arrived before the theory. Something had clearly changed in the political order, but Trump's impulsiveness and lack of coherent ideology or policy agenda created a vacuum that needed to be filled, retroactively, by intellectuals on the right. 

A variety of themes emerged from those efforts. One was an "America First"-inspired rehabilitation of nationalism, long tarnished by its association with authoritarian movements in pre-World War II Europe. Another was heard in Steve Bannon's call to dismantle the "administrative state" of unelected bureaucrats who might stand in Trump's way. A third was the conviction that classical liberalism — in the historical Adam Smith sense of that word, which prioritizes individual rights, pluralism and free trade and which guided both parties for generations — had been a catastrophe, replacing traditional norms with a destructive free-for-all. 

It's a long, complex article but worthwhile. 

• Thank You 4

So we have't parsed out NAR (New Apostolic Reformation) by name, but it's time and they all are part of the 7 Mountains Dominionism, United in Purpose, Ziklag Group.  JennyCohn1 has been tweeting about them and also writing about them, and the danger they pose, in other formats. 

Written before the midterm elections: Underreported And Massive Theocratic Movement Joins Forces With Michael Flynn And Roger Stone   A tour featuring “Seven Mountains” Christian dominionists, Flynn, and Stone is coming to Pennsylvania.

Dominionism Is On The Ballot In November, But Most Voters Have Never Heard Of It The New Apostolic Reformation, a dominionist movement, was more involved in Jan 6 than is generally known.

United In Purpose: The Shady Christian Nonprofit Tied To A Massive Voter Data Leak And The ‘Big Lie’ Ben Carson rallied for Doug Mastriano last week. He’s revered within a powerful Christian nationalist network that leaked voter data and was part of the Stop the Steal movement.

This particular thread highlights NAR singer Sean Feucht: Unroll for non-twitterati here

Edited by Howl
  • Thank You 5

On 10/3/2022 at 6:38 PM, neuroticcat said:

Isn't he just plagiarizing the Pearls?

Late to the party, but I just realized this guy’s wife is the author of CBMW’s “review” of Jesus and John Wayne. 

• Thank You 4

On 11/27/2022 at 9:37 AM, Howl said:

So we have't parsed out NAR (New Apostolic Reformation) by name, but it's time and they all are part of the 7 Mountains Dominionism, United in Purpose, Ziklag Group.  JennyCohn1 has been tweeting about them and also writing about them, and the danger they pose, in other formats. 

Thank you for these links. In return, you may want to listen to this new podcast mini-series from Straight White American Jesus. They are doing a deep dive into NAR -- its history, its whoʻs who, its reach, and why we need to know about it.

We are kicking off a new series on the history of the New Apostolic Reformation with Dr. Matthew Taylor. "Charismatic Revival Fury: The New Apostolic Reformation" will run from the first Monday in December all the way to the January 6th anniversary. The series will explore the history of the NAR through its key figures - starting with C. Peter Wagner, then moving to Ché Ahn, Lance Wallnau, Cindy Jacobs, and Dutch Sheets. Along the way we will see how people like Sean Feucht, Gen. Michael Flynn, Doug Mastriano, and others fit into the NAR matrix.

The NAR is the most influential Christian phenomenon that you either haven't heard of, or don't understand. It is much discussed, but rarely explored in depth with a scholar's insight and patience. This series will break down myths and clearly present the origins of the fastest growing component of Christianity in the USA - and maybe the world.

• Thank You 2