IGNORED

Colin Powell

47of74

Colin Powell died from COVID-19

Colin Powell, the first Black US secretary of state whose leadership in several Republican administrations helped shape American foreign policy in the last years of the 20th century and the early years of the 21st, has died from complications from Covid-19, his family said on Facebook. He was 84.

"General Colin L. Powell, former U.S. Secretary of State and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, passed away this morning due to complications from Covid 19," the Powell family wrote on Facebook.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 10

They're already using this to deny the efficacy of the vaccine.  Powell had multiple myeloma which makes it hard to fight infections.  The truth is, he might still be alive today if someone hadn't passed the virus on to him.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Xan said:

They're already using this to deny the efficacy of the vaccine.  Powell had multiple myeloma which makes it hard to fight infections.  The truth is, he might still be alive today if someone hadn't passed the virus on to him.

Yeah I saw that he had cancer already which made it hard to fight both things at the same time.  Hopefully he's leading the parade across the big reviewing stand in the sky right now. 

I have nothing but respect for him.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I know the Episcopal church Powell attended well. Everyone there loved and respected him a ton. Notably the very liberal clergy.

He ran a mentorship program for at-risk youth through the church and my understanding is he was very hands-on and involved. 

This was very sad news to hear today. This virus has ravaged so much of our population. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

One of the reasons those of us who actually care about others got vaccinated was to protect people like him, who are fighting cancer and have a weakened immune system. I have a lot of respect for Colin Powell, and it shows how devastating this pandemic really is. Colin Powell might be alive today if more people had gotten vaccinated as he might not have had a breakthrough infection.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

I‘m sorry he died of COVID, both because it isn’t a great way to die and because the anti-vaxxers will use this to their advantage.

But let’s not forget this was one of the people who supported national security measures that led to the invasion of Iraq and the laws that discriminated against Muslims, among others. He at one point said he „regretted“ his role  the war but then later avoided taking real ownership because he didn’t like to dwell on the past. I hope that part of his legacy is never forgotten.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

55 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

But let’s not forget this was one of the people who supported national security measures that led to the invasion of Iraq and the laws that discriminated against Muslims, among others. He at one point said he „regretted“ his role  the war but then later avoided taking real ownership because he didn’t like to dwell on the past. I hope that part of his legacy is never forgotten.

This is fair. However, he did describe his UN speech as a "permanent blot" on his record. And I think he was right. The Iraq War turned into such a mess I don't think we're at risk of forgetting that part of the legacy of anyone involved in the 2003 invasion. 

I do think,  unlike others involved, that there were respectable aspects to the man and people can be complicated. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

I have mixed feelings about Powell, but believe he was an honorable person who made some mistakes. At least he owned up to his mistakes. TFG, on the other hand, is as classless as ever:

image.png.8cb999eb6835a47bb257848e36dc26a3.png

• Disgust 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 3

45 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I have mixed feelings about Powell, but believe he was an honorable person who made some mistakes. At least he owned up to his mistakes. TFG, on the other hand, is as classless as ever:

"Hope that happens to me one day."

Trust Trump to attempt to make it about himself and inadvertently revealing his searing envy. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

7 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I have never wanted to use the f you response as badly as I want to do now, but I would want it directed at Trump, not you, @GreyhoundFan.

• Upvote 6