IGNORED

Coronavirus 6: The Plague of Delta

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Yeah I just learned about that too.  It should be mandatory for all health care workers unless there's a damn good medical reason to not take the vaccine.  If they don't like it they can go work somewhere else. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

Portland joins the masking again club.

Studies show that universal masking reduces the risk of infection by at least 70 percent, according to Multnomah County Public Health. 

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/multnomah-county-recommends-masks-indoors-covid-cases-rise/283-fc33ea31-ebe1-4769-a75e-645daf44b0ff

• Upvote 11

The Sydney outbreak is going from bad to worse to freaking disastrous. 172 cases today (but last year during outbreaks they were having over 700 cases a day), but there are way too many idiots who won’t stay the hell at home. One family decided to ignore orders to isolate and have caused 25 new exposure sites on the Central Coast. 

Im pissed off. I want to see my family. They are doing the right thing, why should they have to suffer because of dimwits who protest and go shopping.

• Love 15

More evidence for masks reducing transmission, this time from Melbourne, Australia, in 2020. We are about to unlock again after our local delta outbreak looks to have been contained, however the mask mandate remains in place and will likely stay in indoor areas at least until we move into summer (assuming no further outbreaks, which is... not a strong assumption, sigh). 

1 hour ago, adidas said:

dimwits who protest and go shopping.

Some people don't learn; some apparently only learn the hard way. If they're lucky they don't get to learn the very hard way. Gladys at the moment appears determined to learn the hard way, which is unfortunate for the rest of the state and the country.

It pisses me off too that such a small minority of idiots can screw everyone over so badly.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I am continuing to be ticked that our county will not issue a mask order.  If it reduces cases by 70% why wouldn't we want to do that?  Our county medical officer says he won't go in public unmasked and says please feel free to wear one wherever it makes you feel safer.  That seems to be too mild.  However, where I shop 95% or more of the shoppers are wearing masks.  

The rhetoric about the unvaccinated keeps getting stronger.

"Now we are at a point where there is a solid 25 or 30 percent of the population that's saying they don't want to get vaccinated, that they are okay with allowing this virus to continue to spread, continue to do harm and, worst of all, continue to possibly create variants that are going to be resistant to vaccine-induced immunity," he said.

And vaccinated people will likely pay a price for those choices, CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen said. Even though vaccines offer strong protection against the virus, being surrounded by unvaccinated people could lead to infection spillover, and vaccinated people could get sick or pass on the infection to their loved ones, she said.

"By people saying 'I'm not going to get vaccinated,' they're actually choosing to endanger everybody else, and they are prolonging the pandemic," Wen said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/27/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

• Upvote 4
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

23 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah I just learned about that too.  It should be mandatory for all health care workers unless there's a damn good medical reason to not take the vaccine.  If they don't like it they can go work somewhere else. 

It's not like it's not mandatory to get the flu vaccine in most of these places, either, or else wear a mask constantly.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

However, where I shop 95% or more of the shoppers are wearing masks.

It's about 50% where I am, including the staff.  People seem unwilling to think about future consequences until they're about to be downed by them, and it's often too late.  To be clear, I don't care if the anti-maskers and those eligible but unwilling to be vaccinated suffer the consequences.  I do care about the collateral damage.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think our government should start placing and enforcing appropriate mask mandates like nobody's business - including huge fines and jail time - and that way the population can be reassured that they care whether we live.  Businesses should be penalized for not enforcing mandates, building Boards and management should be penalized for the same.  The enforcement needs to be powerful enough to conquer the inevitable tantrums from those unwilling to comply.  If the consequences are harsh enough, few will be willing to test them.

• Upvote 6

On 7/26/2021 at 2:16 PM, 47of74 said:

My mother was a nurse and got her vaccines, no questions asked.   One BIG reason was that, in her words, hospitals had a lot of sick people and viruses etc. were all over the place.   Vaccines not just protected her so she could do her job but it protected patients too, some of whom were quite vulnerable given she worked mainly with cancer patients.

• Upvote 10

Oh wow.  I have an accomplishment.  After much thought I began posting pro-vaccine notes on FB.  I did it mainly to counter the lies neighbors are reading.

MY MOTHER'S SISTER READ THEM AND WENT AND GOT VACCINATED!!

I never expected that.  She responded to my first two with sad faces.  You just never know.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 22

3 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

The Minnesota exam required them this year.  Of course it looks like I left all my masks at home except for one I got at Costco and a beer related one I wouldn’t want to wear to the exam.  Doesn’t help I just changed cars so some of the masks are probably still sitting in the garage. 

Fuck the anti vaccine bastards.  And a double fuck to the former guy and the GQP. If not for their dumb fuckery we wouldn’t have to be doing all this now. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Capitol Physician Reimposes House Mask Mandate After CDC Releases New Guidance

Dr. Brian P. Monahan said in an alert to staff that masks will be mandated in the House office buildings, committee rooms and in and around the chamber, warning that members could be denied entry or fined if they attempt to enter the chamber maskless.

The guidance comes in response to the CDC recommending vaccinated individuals wear masks in public indoor spaces in places where coronavirus infections are surging.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told Forbes earlier on Tuesday the decision on imposing a mask mandate is ultimately up to Monahan, whose guidance her office enforces.

But, the speaker added at the time, “We hope that there will be some announcement soon” and “we suspect that there might be” in light of the new CDC guidance.

Monahan’s guidance officials in some cities and states, including Washington, D.C., say they are reviewing the CDC guidance – D.C. health officials cited a “four-fold increase” in the local daily new case rate since the beginning of the month.

Across the Washington mall, the White House and the White House Correspondents Association instructed staff and reporters respectively to mask up again, regardless of vaccination status.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Dandruff said:

It's about 50% where I am, including the staff.  People seem unwilling to think about future consequences until they're about to be downed by them, and it's often too late.  To be clear, I don't care if the anti-maskers and those eligible but unwilling to be vaccinated suffer the consequences.  I do care about the collateral damage.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think our government should start placing and enforcing appropriate mask mandates like nobody's business - including huge fines and jail time - and that way the population can be reassured that they care whether we live.  Businesses should be penalized for not enforcing mandates, building Boards and management should be penalized for the same.  The enforcement needs to be powerful enough to conquer the inevitable tantrums from those unwilling to comply.  If the consequences are harsh enough, few will be willing to test them.

I wish this too, but -- where I live and in many of the rural/right-wing counties of California, the county sheriffs would refuse to enforce it.  I don't even think the time-honored strategy of denying them state or federal funding if they don't comply would work -- these are "Constitutional Sheriffs" whose whole approach to their job is all about being opposed to being under the control of higher levels of government.  

• Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I wish this too, but -- where I live and in many of the rural/right-wing counties of California, the county sheriffs would refuse to enforce it.  I don't even think the time-honored strategy of denying them state or federal funding if they don't comply would work -- these are "Constitutional Sheriffs" whose whole approach to their job is all about being opposed to being under the control of higher levels of government. 

Wonder if denying them their salaries/employment might work.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

I wonder who this piece of excrement  voted for?  

Federal prosecutors in Maryland say a man has been arrested and charged with sending emails that threatened to harm and kill Dr. Anthony Fauci, National Institutes of Health Director Dr. Francis Collins, and their families.

Thomas Patrick Connally Jr. is charged with threats against a federal official and interstate communication containing a threat to harm.

• Upvote 7

Article comparing red/blue states with vaccination rates. Politicizing a pandemic has been disastrous.  Why don't they follow their hero TFG and Faux news heroes and get vaccinated already? 

https://news.yahoo.com/these-6-red-and-blue-states-tell-you-everything-you-need-to-know-about-where-delta-is-hitting-hardest-and-why-183835357.html

• Upvote 9

17 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I am really hoping area schools follow the CDC advice. Our county is saying right now that they're not going to enforce masks for the districts and it sounds like most of the districts are holding off a little while on making a decision. I'm hoping Elder's school does, and I suspect they will: lots of kids that are too little to be vaccinated but old enough to wear a mask and a couple of older teachers or teachers with health issues or elderly family members.

Seriously, kids get it mildly and are less likely to transmit it, that doesn't mean they can't or won't!

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

I am really hoping area schools follow the CDC advice. Our county is saying right now that they're not going to enforce masks for the districts and it sounds like most of the districts are holding off a little while on making a decision. I'm hoping Elder's school does, and I suspect they will: lots of kids that are too little to be vaccinated but old enough to wear a mask and a couple of older teachers or teachers with health issues or elderly family members.

Seriously, kids get it mildly and are less likely to transmit it, that doesn't mean they can't or won't!

Unfortunately Iowa schools won’t be able to cause CovidKim and her GQP enablers in the legislature put in a new law that doesn’t allow school districts or local governments to mandate masks.  And based on her latest commentary she won’t institute a state wide one now. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Unfortunately Iowa schools won’t be able to cause CovidKim and her GQP enablers in the legislature put in a new law that doesn’t allow school districts or local governments to mandate masks.  And based on her latest commentary she won’t institute a state wide one now. 

I share your frustration...

• Eyeroll 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic