IGNORED

Coronavirus 6: The Plague of Delta

Coconut Flan

We don't have a thread about Covid anti-vaxxers so I decided to start one.

Here's a Twitter thread about the language they are currently using to circumvent the social media bans on disinformation:

Spoiler

image.png.d5758a9649c84ddcf6a7237a17cdc313.png

The unrolled version of the whole thread can be found here.

• WTF 1
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

It really annoys me that it has taken this long. Where were they earlier? Why is this even a political statement for crying out loud?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 7/22/2021 at 12:23 AM, MomJeans said:

Are anyone's schools backtracking on lifting covid precautions?

Nothing yet for my district. We don't go back for a month but if I have to teach remotely again, I'm going to cry. I don't care if we have to wear masks.

I just want people to realize there needs to be a new normal. Who knows what the next worldwide  disease is going to be and how we need to adjust for it. Also, may their diety of choice smite those politicians who turned public safety into partisian politics and brought this continuation of COVID on us.

Edited by WiseGirl
Spelling is hard
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 5

Checking in from Australia. NSW numbers are still climbing, but slowly. Restrictions keep tightening, who knows how long lockdown will last. There are a handful of approved reasons for leaving your house - exercise (within a 10km radius and only with people from your household), buying essential items (food and pharmaceuticals, coz everything else is closed), providing care to a vulnerable person, getting medical care (including vaccinations) or going to work if you’re in an essential industry and can’t work from home. All construction has paused, funerals are capped at 10 people. For people in some areas, there’s additional limits and you can’t travel outside the area even for work unless you’re doing an approved job - so if you work at a grocery store a few suburbs over, your boss has to replace your shifts with someone local. Delta moves fast, and contact tracers aren’t able to keep up. Testing numbers are great though, today they found 136 cases from 86 620 tests.

I’m in another city, a couple of hours north of Sydney, so I’m not locked down, just under the same restrictions as the rest of the state (mask mandate, limit of 5 visitors to your home, caps on weddings and funerals, limited numbers at indoor venues and sporting events). But my brother and sister and many of my friends are in Sydney. I learned today that my sister, who is pregnant, is now eligible to get vaccinated, at least. I’m under 40 so I can’t get it yet.

Two other states (Victoria and South Australia) are also in lockdown, and Queensland is dancing on its toes finding one or two cases every couple of days and then breathing relief when there’s a few days without again. New Zealand has stopped our “trans Tasman bubble” so there’s no travel there, but half the country can’t leave their house to travel at the moment anyway.

It’s weird to look at it all from a global perspective sometimes. We’re closing everything down as the US is opening things up, there are heaps of people here who WANT to get vaccinated but can’t because we haven’t got enough yet. But then, we’re also way more stressed and panicked about a comparatively low number of infections, desperate to stop the exponential growth and hospital system stress that other places have been dealing with for ages. Australia has basically just been stuck in Feb-March 2020 for a year and a half now.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 9

I just found out my younger son (who works in a hospital) got sent home and quarantined for 10 days because he had symptoms that could be classified as Delta.  Waiting for him to text me back right now to know about test results.  (He IS vaccinated, since February):bangheaddesk:

GAAAAHHHHHH. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 17

I’m in Chicago, blue as blue can be, and I want to put my FIST through my laptop screen when I read the local parenting forums. “Oh no, I’m not getting MY child vaccinated, what if they have side effects?” What if they get COVID, jackass? What if they spread a vaccine-resistant variant? What if our kids have to wear masks in school FOREVER because your dumb ass won’t get your kids vaccinated?
It’s pretty simple. If kids get vaccinated, we can send them to school without masks. You can’t have schools open and everything “normal” without vaccines.
I am taking Younger to get her second vaccine today. She is 11, and I am straight up lying to the city to get her vaccinated, because she has T1 diabetes and Covid could kill her.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 15

I just declined an invitation to my Uncle’s 90th birthday gathering over in KC. I don’t want to risk my aunt/uncle.  I don’t want to risk my cousins.  And while I’m vaccinated, I’m not risking me.  Not with the local case rates back at stupid crazy levels.  

And I’m going to admit that I had been going into stores etc without a mask, I decided to revert back (minus work where of the 19 people on my floor, all but 3 aren’t vaccinated (and they have to continue masking outside their offices).  

• Upvote 8

My older son and daughter-in-law have already made clear to all their friends and family that anyone who is not vaccinated won't be coming within 20 feet of the baby.  HELL TO THE YES.  

• Upvote 13
  • Love 4

1 minute ago, clueliss said:

I just declined an invitation to my Uncle’s 90th birthday gathering over in KC. I don’t want to risk my aunt/uncle.  I don’t want to risk my cousins.  And while I’m vaccinated, I’m not risking me.  Not with the local case rates back at stupid crazy levels.  

I just decided not to attend a former coworker's funeral tomorrow.   Mr. No and I have been fully vaccinated since early May and have attended some family functions but with Delta on the rise I am rethinking attending any gatherings at all.   The rates aren't bad here (northern IL) yet, but cases are going up.   I am also masking up going into stores and into work even though I am not required to.

17 minutes ago, bea said:

I’m in Chicago, blue as blue can be, and I want to put my FIST through my laptop screen when I read the local parenting forums. “Oh no, I’m not getting MY child vaccinated, what if they have side effects?” What if they get COVID, jackass? What if they spread a vaccine-resistant variant? What if our kids have to wear masks in school FOREVER because your dumb ass won’t get your kids vaccinated?
It’s pretty simple. 

I have a relative who is antivax, been for years, didn't vaccinate her own kids, won't get the vaccine and furthermore has convinced her dumbass daughter not to vaccinate her grandkids.  Yep.   They all go about as if Covid doesn't exist and I am just waiting for them all to contract it.  Just waiting.   

It's one thing for an adult to decide for themselves and that decision only impacts them but geez, kids are dependent on all of us getting vaccinated.    Part of the vaccination effort is protecting the vulnerable and I just don't understand people who don't realize that their own kids are part of that group.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 4

19 minutes ago, bea said:

Exactly. A coworker of mine (vaccinated, thankfully) was saying the other day about how "there are side effects, some people are having heart issues, and that's why they don't want to get vaccinated," and my response was essentially, "That was the mRNA for teenage boys, they can take the J&J instead since they're less likely to have the clotting issues. And for most of them experiencing the heart muscle thickening, it was temporary and there's a decent chance they'd have gotten worse with the actual disease. Everything has side effects and they can make that decision."

Seriously, if they get side effects from the vaccine, how do they think their kids would respond to the actual virus? You know, the one some healthy kids have had long COVID or actually died from?

• Upvote 9

6 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Seriously, if they get side effects from the vaccine, how do they think their kids would respond to the actual virus? You know, the one some healthy kids have had long COVID or actually died from?

Mr. No and I visited MIL who is in an assisted living facility.   MIL was being checked by a nurse and Mr. No took the opportunity to inquire if MIL was vaccinated.  MIL was not but nurse proceeded to ask MIL if she wanted the vaccine.   MIL is on the fence because of some horror story she heard.  Nurse was very patient but advised MIL that getting the vaccine would prevent getting hospitalized and avoid all kinds of issues if she got the virus.    That seemed to get MIL thinking so we will see what happens as she has a history of flip flopping on just about every subject so getting the vaccine might just depend on how she feels at the moment. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

1 minute ago, nokidsmom said:

Mr. No and I visited MIL who is in an assisted living facility.   MIL was being checked by a nurse and Mr. No took the opportunity to inquire if MIL was vaccinated.  MIL was not but nurse proceeded to ask MIL if she wanted the vaccine. 

My MIL is in an assisted living facility, and I’m not sure she had a choice.  It was get vaccinated or transfer elsewhere.  Is your MIL isolated from the other residents?  When my husband visits, and he waited a whole year to be allowed access because of lockdown, they give him a medical grade mask plus he takes a rapid COVID-19 test.  Anyway, just surprised at the difference in facilities.  At my MIL’s facility, they had only one scare, and that was a vendor who tested positive and fortunately didn’t bring it into the main building. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, CTRLZero said:

My MIL is in an assisted living facility, and I’m not sure she had a choice.  It was get vaccinated or transfer elsewhere.  Is your MIL isolated from the other residents?  When my husband visits, and he waited a whole year to be allowed access because of lockdown, they give him a medical grade mask plus he takes a rapid COVID-19 test.  Anyway, just surprised at the difference in facilities.  At my MIL’s facility, they had only one scare, and that was a vendor who tested positive and fortunately didn’t bring it into the main building. 

So far she has had a choice, however she has mentioned that a lot of her "new friends" at the facility have gotten the vaccine.    I am surprised that they haven't required it but Mr. No's doctor told him that eventually she may be required to get the vaccine in order to stay there.   She is not isolated from the other residents other than having to quarantine when she first arrived there and she's not been out of the facility since.   

She did ask us to take off our masks while visiting her in spite of the rules, we both refused. It's come to our attention that other family members (unvaccinated btw) took off their masks after coming into the facility to visit a few weeks ago.  I am surprised the facility hasn't come down on this but maybe with this Delta thing they might impose stricter limits on visitors.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

This is why everyone eligible needs to be vaccinated. We need herd immunity to protect those who can’t get the jab.

CW: very upsetting story about a young child dying from Covid.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/covid19-kills-fiveyearold-boy-in-the-united-states-as-adults-refuse-to-get-vaccinated/news-story/6acd5a3611287b3e4010f44723937522

Edited by adidas
Autocorrect
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 13

If the FDA would get off its rear and give full approval for the vaccines, some of the hesitancy might be overcome.  I know a number of vaccine-hesitant people who are thoughtful, rational beings, but they simply cannot get over the idea that the vaccines were rushed, and are not fully approved - just "emergency use" declaration.  I know there are likely approval processes that take necessary time to verify safety, but really, just approve them already!

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

A Vaccine Or This Marriage: Conspiracy Theories Are Tearing Couples Apart

HuffPost talked to five men and women whose marriages are crumbling or have already collapsed under the weight of viral anti-vaccine disinformation. Most said they did their best to tolerate their spouses’ embrace of conspiracy theories amid the pandemic — until it came to the vaccines, when those delusions suddenly posed a direct threat to their well-being or that of their children. All were pressured by their partners not to get immunized (though most managed to do so in secret anyway), and are identified by pseudonyms to protect their families’ privacy. Three, including Lucy, are now in the process of getting divorced.

“I don’t understand what happened to him,” Lucy said of Shane. “But I choose my health.”

:shakehead:

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 6

Protests in Sydney (including boastful Fairfield residents) mean we won’t be out of lockdown for months now. Bloody anti vaxers and anti lockdowners. It’s going to be a massive super spreader event.

I hope that if people test positive and are linked to the rally, they are fined and given a kick in the face by a police horse, then sent home with two panadols if they ask for medical assistance.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 3

No test results yet for my son.  He said it could be as late as Thursday.  His lungs are sore, other than that he feels ok - no fever, no coughing.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Love 16

Ugh, ugh, ugh. COVID is real people (I know I'm preaching to the choir). This is so sad and frustrating. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Ugh, ugh, ugh. COVID is real people (I know I'm preaching to the choir). This is so sad and frustrating. 

It makes me so angry I can hardly see straight.  IF my son does have it, it's because of some East Texas fucking NIMROD who didn't get vaccinated and brought it into the hospital.  

Adding, I think people who won't get vaxxed should be banned from hospitals.  And that includes staff.

• Love 17

I had read articles that hand sanitizers are over-abundant to the point stores are giving them away.  My husband picked up a free half-gallon from a big box store yesterday.  Before that, he was given a couple large bottles as a prize in a tournament.  I’m happy to receive them, since we are still sanitizing away during and after shopping excursions, etc. 

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic