IGNORED

Are Lyndsie and Daniel Getting Another Baby?

emmiedahl

oh, I think we had that discussion on the old board. Damn, I need to move! My apartment in the projects is worth more than that.

I still think they are label obsessed dirty beggars just not McMansion!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never heard of Gotcha Day. My youngest sister was adopted at birth. We always tell her how happy the parents were when the doctor turned to them and said: It's a beautiful, green-haired girl! It's a story we tell at her birthday every year. (meconium in the amniotic fluid stained her light blond hair green)

It's a more recent term, first used 20 or so years ago. Google the term (so as not to hijack thread too much).

All my snarky comments on her house are just hating on her. I really am just jealous, I'll admit that. My home is quite adequate, but I am looking forward to having something bigger and nicer.

Everything else I totally mean, though.

It's a more recent term, first used 20 or so years ago. Google the term (so as not to hijack thread too much).

It became more popular with an increase in transnational adoptions when an actual birthdate is unknown.

I use the term "Gotcha Day" for the days I picked up my pups from the dog shelter (my avatar's Gotcha Day is 9/14) but I can't imagine using that term for human kids.

I used to babysit for a family that celebrated "Airplane Day" with their adopted son--the day he came home on the airplane. It was just like Gotcha Day but without the dippy name.

(I like the concept of celebrating becoming a family, hate the "Gotcha" term)

Lyndsie said on the blog that Daniel and others built the home. He bought the land at age 22. I have a feeling Daniel might have received help from his parents. There isn't anything wrong with getting help, but I think Lyndsie tried to make Daniel look really independent.

I have no ties to adoptions but I always thought the term "gotcha day" was sort of cute. What's the objection?

edited for punctuation

I have no ties to adoptions but I always thought the term "gotcha day" was sort of cute. What's the objection?

From my understanding, "Gotcha" day is a really callous and disrespectful way to refer to a day that, while joyous for the adoptive family, is tragic for the birth family. It's the day their parental ties were severed and they became legal strangers to their flesh and blood. To celebrate that day- and with a name like "Gotcha" -like you're playing capture the flag, is self-centered and, to me at least, seems to diminish a child's birth family to being a merely borrowed womb and genetic material.

[

From my understanding, "Gotcha" day is a really callous and disrespectful way to refer to a day that, while joyous for the adoptive family, is tragic for the birth family. It's the day their parental ties were severed and they became legal strangers to their flesh and blood. To celebrate that day- and with a name like "Gotcha" -like you're playing capture the flag, is self-centered and, to me at least, seems to diminish a child's birth family to being a merely borrowed womb and genetic material.

This.

This.

Makes sense. I guess I've actually only seen it used on a couple of adoption blogs I read and both of them adopted out of foreign orphanages, so that makes it a bit different.

I'm just wondering what you all think about fundraising for adoption in general? My husband and I are beginning to look into adopting. I can get pregnant, but keep having miscarriages. We have one nine-year old son.

I've been looking at different agencies, and we are open to both domestic and international adoption, but leaning more toward domestic simply because of the cost involved. The agencies I've checked with seem to be an average of about $13K for domestic and $25K for international. We currently have $7K saved for adoption, and are in the process of selling some things we don 't need, guessing that will bring $3-4K more, but still leaving us a bit short of the full amount.

I'm a college professor, and take overloads whenever I can. My husband is physically disabled due to an on the job injury. We have been tossing around the ideas of having a bake sale or a raffle of some sort (asking local merchants for some donations for the raffle, maybe), and have asked our parent that in lieu of gifts for Christmas for the two of us, to add the cash they would spend to our adoption savings.

So, would it be tacky to have a fundraiser?

I'm a college professor, and take overloads whenever I can. My husband is physically disabled due to an on the job injury. We have been tossing around the ideas of having a bake sale or a raffle of some sort (asking local merchants for some donations for the raffle, maybe), and have asked our parent that in lieu of gifts for Christmas for the two of us, to add the cash they would spend to our adoption savings.

So, would it be tacky to have a fundraiser?

I don't think so. I find it tacky when people set up web sites specifically to raise money from unknown people. But what you're thinking of sounds find. Don't forget to let everyone you know that you'd like to adopt. Sometimes a young woman will hear of someone wanting to adopt and will approach them about possibly adopting her baby. Just do everything above board and don't leave the birthfather out of the picture. He needs to give consent too. It is possible to adopt for far less this way. Also don't discount going through the county or state.

Good luck, hope you get to adopt soon.

On that FB account, she has a photo of her and her husband, with an ultrasound picture in a frame, from August 2010. I'm pretty sure it's the AA ultrasound (I believe the name is printed on the photo). It's so odd that they would still have that up there.

Edited to add: There are two photos. I find them very odd, especially since the adoption didn't happen. I'm wondering how the mother would feel knowing that they're still pimping out those photos when they really don't belong to them.

I'll never forget when her blog was open and she was asking people to pony up the money and I left a comment asking did they ever consider adopting from the foster care system since they do foster to adoptions. It's also how my parents adopted myself as well as many of my 9 siblings. A Lyndsie *groupie* supporter nearly bit my head off and I can't remember the exact words, but she replied with something along the lines of "how dare you suggest such a thing they want an infant". It's like hello clueless there are infants and babies in foster care where do you think many foster to adopt get their infants and babies. It seriously irked me like it wasn't up to her standard or something. I know some infants and babies do have special needs but some of them don't. Lyndsie never responded to my suggestion, and I now realized that she probably wouldn't make it through the requirements through the State and with not being cancer free completely.

As much as I enjoyed reading her blog now again most of the time it was the same old drivel go to church, clean the house while daniel is gone, go out with friends and take millions of photos. I've never known anyone to take as many photos as she does especially with insignificant events like meeting your parents for dinner. Lyndsie was all about Lyndsie which she made quite clear in her blog and her "kindness" came across as very fake and shallow.

All my snarky comments on her house are just hating on her. I really am just jealous, I'll admit that. My home is quite adequate, but I am looking forward to having something bigger and nicer.

Everything else I totally mean, though.

Good, now I can justify snarking on her 1+ carat princess cut solitaire. Interestingly, it now appears to be flanked by two diamond bands instead of just the one (plain, I thought) wedding band she did have. I'm a jewelry watcher, I can't help it. Maybe she had them the whole time, maybe they are cz's. I know what I think, but I guess it's none of my business. ;)

On that FB account, she has a photo of her and her husband, with an ultrasound picture in a frame, from August 2010. I'm pretty sure it's the AA ultrasound (I believe the name is printed on the photo). It's so odd that they would still have that up there.

Edited to add: There are two photos. I find them very odd, especially since the adoption didn't happen. I'm wondering how the mother would feel knowing that they're still pimping out those photos when they really don't belong to them.

I think the birth mom probably knows about the pics being up on the FB page. The birth mom said on the old FJ that she still kept in contact with Lyndsie even though she choose another couple to adopt her baby who was later named Stella.

I'll never forget when her blog was open and she was asking people to pony up the money and I left a comment asking did they ever consider adopting from the foster care system since they do foster to adoptions. It's also how my parents adopted myself as well as many of my 9 siblings. A Lyndsie *groupie* supporter nearly bit my head off and I can't remember the exact words, but she replied with something along the lines of "how dare you suggest such a thing they want an infant". It's like hello clueless there are infants and babies in foster care where do you think many foster to adopt get their infants and babies. It seriously irked me like it wasn't up to her standard or something. I know some infants and babies do have special needs but some of them don't. Lyndsie never responded to my suggestion, and I now realized that she probably wouldn't make it through the requirements through the State and with not being cancer free completely.

As much as I enjoyed reading her blog now again most of the time it was the same old drivel go to church, clean the house while daniel is gone, go out with friends and take millions of photos. I've never known anyone to take as many photos as she does especially with insignificant events like meeting your parents for dinner. Lyndsie was all about Lyndsie which she made quite clear in her blog and her "kindness" came across as very fake and shallow.

On their adoption profile, they were listed as unlicensed to foster and now that you mention it, I do think they might not have met state requirements for foster to adopt. I think it is dumb that the Lyndsie supporter bit your head off about that suggestion. It was a good and valid suggestion, but maybe the Lyndsie supporter thinks of toddlers and older children when she hears the words "foster care".

I got the feeling from the blog and the adoption profile that Lyndsie and Daniel really had no interest in adopting non-white children, special needs children or children older than a year. I can respect people for not wanting to adopt children from certain situations because they may that they might not be the right parents or they may not be able to handle society's views on interracial adoption, but L&D tried to hide around that.

I felt sorry for Lynsdie and Daniel in a way. They probably only have fundie lite friends and relatives. I doubt Lyndsie has any friends that are 20 something unmarried women with no kids. A few of Daniel's older siblings are married with kids. I think their entitled attitudes rooted from their desires to always to fit in with friends and relatives. So after a year of marriage, they started pursuing adoption intensely and when they realized they didn't have all of the financial resources they started the adoption fund.

Okay, sorry to keep posting on my own topic, but she is having a FB yard sale and it is like all Ralph Lauren. There are a few brand new baby things that she was probably given for her baby and is too cheap to regift. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 887&type=1

eta: her email at the bottom suggests that there is another adoption.

Shouldn't it be called Lyndsie sells crap she doesn't want anymore?

Okay, sorry to keep posting on my own topic, but she is having a FB yard sale and it is like all Ralph Lauren. There are a few brand new baby things that she was probably given for her baby and is too cheap to regift. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 887&type=1

eta: her email at the bottom suggests that there is another adoption.

What surprises me is that she is selling more clothes than I have in my wardrobe. She must be a real clothes horse. Makes me wonder how much she would have saved had she not bought all those clothes in the first place.

I'm surprised she is selling the toddler boy's clothes, wont be long before she needs them. I wonder if they were gifted to her but are not her choice of style (which is a bit cheeky if you ask me).

Or he's outgrown them, and she shares the opinion posted on the satirical site "Seriously, So Blessed!" that she "shouldn't use his leftover clothes on the new baby, because that would be so third-world."

Could that be left over from the "Aubrey Ann" days? I remember that ill-advised premature shower, months before the baby they hoped to adopt was even born.

Help me out here. What happens if you bathe a baby boy in a pink bathtub? Must be something terrible.

Help me out here. What happens if you bathe a baby boy in a pink bathtub? Must be something terrible.

Well if you're fundie, he'll turn gay of course.

What surprises me is that she is selling more clothes than I have in my wardrobe. She must be a real clothes horse. Makes me wonder how much she would have saved had she not bought all those clothes in the first place.

I'm surprised she is selling the toddler boy's clothes, wont be long before she needs them. I wonder if they were gifted to her but are not her choice of style (which is a bit cheeky if you ask me).

I saw some of the toddler clothes and one of the outfits was a Polo outfit and it surprised that they would sell that.

Archived