IGNORED

Life in a Shoe Daughters Selling Things

pomology

It seems to me that every so often Kim's daughters are selling things on their mother's blog. It's always new Vision Forum shit. I know that their father works for Vision Forum, so obviously that's how they get this stuff, but what is the point of having the children sell it? If you're giving them free shit and having them sell it, why not just give them the money directly? What does selling shit on their mother's blog that they were merely handed off teach them anything? Well, I guess they probably don't have money to give directly to their daughters. But it seems kind of sketchy morally to me to make money buy selling whatever Vision Forum shit they were given for free. Although maybe that is how Dougie justifies paying his employees so little (not that I know that he pays his employees very little for a fact, but it doesn't seem entirely implausible--especially given the living situation of the Coughlin family).

Guest Anonymous

I'm guessing it would look even more dodgy if the guy who works for VF was to sell them directly on his wife's site. I don't see anything wrong in principle in letting kids sell stuff that has been given to them, but it does look dodgy that they are selling new VF stock on a personal blog. It makes me cringe to see the lengthy descriptions of why they want the money, though. Especially cringe-worthy are the attempts to sell the dolls with the eye-defect for $45!

Kids who make less than $400 a year don't have to file income tax; kids who make more than that have to file but won't have to pay income tax unless they make significantly more. Times 8 kids that's quite a bit of money completely undocumented.

So if each kid can net $400 they don't have to track or do paperwork or anything. Texas might have a garage-sale type exemption on sales tax as well - lots of states specifically exempt personal property resale under certain dollar amounts.

Guest Anonymous

What does their father do within Vision Forum, that he would be in possession of so many brand new dolls and complete wardrobes of clothes?

What does their father do within Vision Forum, that he would be in possession of so many brand new dolls and complete wardrobes of clothes?

He works in their warehouse and/or shipping dept. It probably isn't difficult for him or other VF employees to purchase remaindered VF crap.

I'd like to see one of them say they are selling dolls to pay for an

air conditioner.

(They live in south Texas, don't believe in air conditioning, only have a couple of box fans, but much like the Russia submarine bunk beds, they all love it, according to Kimbo.)

He works in their warehouse and/or shipping dept. It probably isn't difficult for him or other VF employees to purchase remaindered VF crap.

I see the girls writing from time to time that it's from the VF clearance rack. And I seem to remember Kim having written about how they or an older daughter will lend a younger one some money to buy the clearance item so the kid can sell it online at a small profit. She also mentioned that out of the money the kids make, 10% of it goes to tithing, and then out of what's left, half should be saved for "the future" and half the kid could use for what she wanted.

Oh, that is so dumb. Wtf is wrong with AG dolls? My girls have been begging for one; my main problem is with their price, but the quality and the stories and such are adorable? Is it because one of them had a lesbian relative or friend or whatever?

I have been very blessed by many of your resources, but I was very disappointed when I received my Beautiful Girlhood doll and clothing and found them all to be made in China. I spent a lot of time researching to purchase a good-quality doll that specifically was NOT made in China. I found an article online that stated Vision Forum does not have their dolls made in China. For some reason I am unable to find that article now, but I remember one of the things mentioned being VF's dislike of China's 1-child policy. However, this blog entry from Doug's blog also says your dolls are not made in China - http://www.visionforum.com/news/blogs/d ... 5/10/1305/. I am aware that this is an old blog entry, and apparently your policies here have changed, but I do not understand why.

The VF web site only states that the dolls are made by the Goetz doll company. For many years this company manufactured their dolls in Germany, but apparently recently started manufacturing them in China. For a ministry that is so engaged on the side of Life, I am dismayed that any of your products are produced in China. I wish you would make this information more readily available to your customers so that we can make informed purchasing decisions.

I found this interesting.

Do they home church? So 10% Goes to daddy, then for the "future" another 45% to daddy. 45% to themselves.

Is this all Vision Forum does? making toys, catalogs, preaching and raising funds for projects? I'm glad they're not a community like the Mormons.

What other work do Vision Forum members have? any farming or something like that?

From LIAS:

When we previewed the American Girls books years ago, we thought the main characters had a bit of “attitude†that made them unsuitable as role models. Yes, so does Laura Ingalls, but she rebukes herself – these American Girls seemed saucy, a little rebellious, and proud of it.

I'd sort of be interested to know which books they looked at. Oh, those saucy American girls!

Felicity and her kindness to animals, as well as her loyalty.

Samantha, trying to help Nellie get an education (yes, she is a little classist, but it is all she knows, and she tries to do better after being shown why and how she is condescending.

Kit, working for a family member she can't stand so her family has money they need.

Addy, running away to the North for freedom.

Molly, wanting to be all pretty when she's the star in a pageant.

I bet they're going to love the new one coming out...

Do they home church? So 10% Goes to daddy, then for the "future" another 45% to daddy. 45% to themselves.

No, they go to a Reformed Presbyterian church in San Antonio. One of those "lovely" family integrated churches, in which members "train" kids on down to infants to sit quietly through boring services they cannot understand. :?

People like "life in a shoe" lady just want their perfect "holy" thing that goes to make money. There is nothing long with the American Girl dolls I got my Samantha doll when I was ten and I still have it today.

We are delighted to announce the expansion of our Beautiful Girlhood Doll Collection to include the lovely Fidelia (Faithful One). Your daughters will spend countless blissful hours of “mommy practice†as they care for their little playmates.

When a girl plays with a doll, she is preparing to be a mommy someday. Her first role model is her own mother, and her first opportunity at role-playing is with her dolls.

I would think most of these girls get plenty of "mommy practice", but best to start them with a doll so they're ready for the next sibling in line?

I would think most of these girls get plenty of "mommy practice", but best to start them with a doll so they're ready for the next sibling in line?

Fuck that shit. If little girls (or little boys) play with dolls than it should be about them using their imagination and therefore expanding their mind, not fucking learning how to mother.

Archived