IGNORED

Dawkins Scale

nomoxian

Where do you fall on the Dawkins Scale?

Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.

De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.

Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.

Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.

Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.

De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.

Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

I am a De-Facto Atheist.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am leaning towards Strong Atheism as far as the benevolent, intercessory God of Evangelical Christianity. Belief in Spirits, Energy, Force Fields, Invisible Beings with limited powers, Ghosts, etc I would be a Weak Atheist leaning towards De-facto Atheist. 9,000 children starving to death every day kind of kills off a benevolent, omnipotent Deity for me.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Basically , simply put , with the choices given ,  I would be inclined to say that I am a weak atheist . But , even more accurately , and exactly , I would describe myself as being more of a pure ignostic . 

• Upvote 1

If there’s a scale between De-facto Atheist and Strong Atheist, that’s where I am, and probably closer to Strong.  And I say that because the description says “100% sure.”  The Christian God, the only one I’m familiar with, doesn’t fit in with what I do know; but at the same time, I’m aware that there’s still a lot that I don’t know. 

• Upvote 2

It really depends on the definition of "God". If it's the Judeo-Christian God, I'm a de-facto atheist. If it's a more vague concept of God with some personal interest in humanity, I'm a weak atheist. If it's some higher power that could be described as an entity, that has something resembling consciousness, that created, or played a part in creating, the universe, and may or may not have an interest in its inhabitants, I'm probably somewhere between pure agnostic and weak atheist.

• Upvote 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.