IGNORED

The Royal Wedding looms ahead

Palimpsest

25 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

She got a lot of criticism for remaining at Balmoral with Charles and his boys as long as she did after Diana’s death, but I can’t blame her for that. Yes, she has a responsibility to lead her nation through good and bad times and her people needed her... but her grandsons had just lost the mother they adored.

Oh, honey.  The Queen is many good things but an involved mother and grandmother are not among them.  I doubt she cuddled her grandsons then or was much comfort to them.  She would not know how.

She did not go back to London because she did not understand the mass hysteria over that no longer HRH's passing.  And, TBH, neither did I.  For very different reasons.

She is a feisty old bat who stands very much on dignity and responsibility.  She also has a temper, and I think gets rather annoyed when her frequent bursts of irritation get mistaken for wit.

4 minutes ago, caitrona said:

I think Meghan will wear the Spencer family tiara.

IMO, not in a million years.  Even if the present Earl (against all odds) coughs it up as a possibility. 

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

IMO, not in a million years. 

I agree with this (and your assessment of the Queen). I'd love to see Meghan in it, but unless Harry has *something* up his sleeve, it won't happen. I guess he could commission a new tiara for her?

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Yes, and Prince Louis just bumped Prince Andrew down to 7th in line, so Prince Andrew no longer has to get the Queen's permission if he wants to marry again.

I got up at like 4 a.m. to watch Will and Kate's wedding and I'll definitely be doing the same for Harry and Meghan's. I don't lead a very exciting life, I like to make an event out of something random and silly and fun every once in a while. :pb_lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing her dress, bridesmaids' dresses, the kids, the guests, etc. I think it would be nice if she walked herself down the aisle, as that would make somewhat of a feminist statement* and it would avoid causing drama with her dad's side if she had her mum walk her down instead - not that her dad's side of the family isn't amazing at creating drama no matter what. I don't know much about her dad himself, but those half-siblings of hers, WOW - really awful people! Even if she is everything they say she is (which seems doubtful, they don't come across as very honest people), their behaviour is absolutely ludicrous. It's kind of funny, though, because if they'd just stayed quiet I think a lot more people would have judged her a lot more harshly for not inviting them, but they're really showing everyone exactly why she would want nothing to do with them.

*Not that it's inherently unfeminist at all to have your dad/other male relative walk you down the aisle, but given her family dynamic it wouldn't seem to make a ton of sense.

I don't think it is unfeminist to walk down the aisle with your father. To me, it was a very special moment with my Dad and I will always remember it.

I probably won't be up early to watch the wedding, but I will be looking for pictures of her dress as soon as I do get up.

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

And you would not believe the flack I got when I said Di's dress was hideous, crumpled, and way overdone.  Everybody thinks that these days, but back then it was thought just beautiful.

I have always thought thought that her dress was hideous. When I was looking for a wedding gown in 1984 for my January 1985 wedding, almost all of the dresses out there had those huge, ugly sleeves.

Harry is not close with the Spencers and never has been. I really doubt Meghan will be wearing the Spencer Tiara. 

I read an article recently about Edward and Wallis Simpson by Andrew Morton.   Wallis Simpson comes across as a really horrendous bitch.  When her husband was dying of throat cancer,  Wallis did not visit him in the three weeks before he died.

Edward's own father, George V, once said about his eldest son "I pray to God that my eldest son will never marry and have children, and that nothing will come between Bertie and Lilibet and the throne."

45 minutes ago, Briefly said:

I don't think it is unfeminist to walk down the aisle with your father. To me, it was a very special moment with my Dad and I will always remember it.

? Like I said in my footnote in the post you quoted, I did not mean that walking down the aisle with your father was unfeminist at all. I was specifically speaking to her personal family dynamic - that if she’s not close to her father, she should not feel obligated to have him walk her down the aisle merely because it’s tradition. :)

11 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I loved Diana's dress so very much.

My mother-in-law pretty much copied Diana's dress for the flower girls dresses at my sister-in-law's wedding.  My girls loved those dresses and the flower wreaths that went with them.  They wore those dresses out!

I was fifteen when William and Kate got married. We had the day off school, plus a bank holiday (public holiday). I watched the whole thing. I remember the Queen wore a yellow outfit. And I also remember it was weird to see everyone sing the National Anthem, including Prince Philip, while the Queen stayed seated. Our anthem has such a dirgy tune, I wish it was more upbeat like, say, La Marseillaise. 

I'd prefer dirgy over the practically unsingable U.S. national anthem. That tune has taken down some of the greats. :pb_lol:

3 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

And I also remember it was weird to see everyone sing the National Anthem, including Prince Philip, while the Queen stayed seated. Our anthem has such a dirgy tune, I wish it was more upbeat like, say, La Marseillaise. 

My BFF told me that her (totally out of the loop) husband passed by the TV while she was watching William and Kate's wedding and asked why the "old woman" wasn't singing "God Save The Queen". She laughed and pointed out that it's not like QE would be singing "God Save ME".

5 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Plus Meghan's first marriage was not in the Anglican Church, so to them it doesn't count like it would have for those that did marry in the church. Harry's currently 6th in line to the throne, which, while requiring permission to wed, is still well down to not matter as much. 

Does it work that way in the Anglican Church the way it does for Roman Catholics? I suppose the point is moot though, since Anglicans allow for divorce either way. 

5 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Okay, tiara prediction time. I think she'll go with Queen Mary's Cartier Bracelet Bandeau. Understated, not too pretentious, still a tiara:

I can totally see that! It has kind of a funky modern twist. I think Markle will go with a dress that is more sleek than Kate's (which I loved) and maybe satin? It will be a bit more figure hugging and contemporary. Maybe more like Princess Victoria of Sweden's dress? And definitely a British designer. 

From memory Will and Catherine's wedding was on at about 7 or 8pm on Saturday night here's so all the free to air channels had it on and there was nothing you could do to escape (Some had much better commentary than others though). I expect Harry and Meghan's will be similar in terms of coverage.

Not sure what sort of town she will wear, but I think they'll avoid it being too similar to Catherine's. From pictures I've seen of her, I don't think she's big on lace and I'm expecting a more structured style. Her style just seems more modern and tailored than Catherine's vintage inspired but tailored. As she's also not marrying the future King, is being married for the second time and is in a smaller venue, I don't think it will be as grand as Catherine's gown overall. I'd say it's almost definitely going to be a British designer/brand because she's marrying a British royal.

As for a tiara, I wonder if there could be something from Diana's private collection that Harry inherited. Obviously not be Spencer tiara as that is owned by his uncle, but something else made for her we may not have seen. William obviously gave Catherine is mother's engagement ring, but maybe Meghan will wear of her tiaras as a tribute. Otherwise, I'd guess a loan from the Queen would be pretty standard (same for Eugenie at her wedding).

I'm dating myself, but I remember getting up at some ungodly hour and going out to the living room to join my mom watching Princess Anne and Peter Phillips' wedding. I didn't know about time zones and assumed Royals had to marry well before breakfast! As a teen I got caught up in the mania leading up to Charles and Diana's wedding. Wasn't a fan of her dress but loved how over the top that one train looked from the overhead shots. I can't rember much of Andrew and fergie's wedding, it must have watched it. My class had a tea party for William and Kate's wedding. The kids dressed up and we had tea, finger sandwiches and butter tarts. I will watch Harry and Meghan's wedding with my mom. 

For little bridesmaids and pages: Prince George, Princess Charlotte. I wonder if the two Mulroney sons (7) and daughter (almost 5) will be in the wedding party? Harry stayed with the Mulroneys when he flew to Toronto visiting Meghan. Peter & Autumn Phillips have two girls, and Zara & Mike Tindall have a girl too who is about the age to be a Royal bridesmaid. Harry's cousins James and Louise might be contenders, too. 

I think Meghan's dress will be simple and elegant. I like the modern tiara and it would suit her well. 

I have a commemorative mug from Charles and Diana's wedding.   The handle on it is broken which seems fitting.  It belonged to my husband's grandmother.

I wasn't considering getting up early for it, but since I'm between jobs since finishing school and since I love wedding watches with ya'll, I think I'm going to do it, now. 

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

This will be the first Royal Wedding (it SHOULD be capitalized, right? lol) since Charles & Diana's that I won't be watching on television.

Because I will be IN WINDSOR, and I will be standing somewhere along the processional route to see Harry & Meghan after they're married. :)

I.Am.So.Excited.

SHUT. THE. FRONT.  DOOR!

Pics.  Must needs pics!  Enjoy!!!!!

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Oh, honey.  The Queen is many good things but an involved mother and grandmother are not among them.  I doubt she cuddled her grandsons then or was much comfort to them.  She would not know how.

That’s the usual line but it’s simply not true.There are countless hours of footage of her interacting with her children and Grandchildren. And as to comfort...

https://www.google.com/amp/people.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-and-her-corgis-helped-a-war-surgeon-with-ptsd/amp/

51 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I wasn't considering getting up early for it, but since I'm between jobs since finishing school and since I love wedding watches with ya'll, I think I'm going to do it, now. 

I think I'm in too. I love Royal Weddings, not for the weddings themselves, but the EPIC hats. I love me some hat snark. 

4 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I think I'm in too. I love Royal Weddings, not for the weddings themselves, but the EPIC hats. I love me some hat snark. 

Dare we even hope for a repeat of this?

article-1381892-0BD39FFE00000578-72_634x1029.jpg

1 minute ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Dare we even hope for a repeat of this?

OMG, we can only hope. Remember the iPad hat? That was awesomely bad. 

I just love the hats, okay? :-P

In searching for a picture of that hat, I ran across this, which...there's no explaining it, just read:

I believe the Lord set me up to see Princess Beatrice in this hat as Isis, because I've been pondering what the hat means for a week or so. It occurred to me just this morning as it came together. Thank you Lord! 

The symbolism I see in this hat interprets on many layers to signal that Princess Beatrice is an illuminated Monarch sodomite, a mind-controlled slave and Illuminati witch.

Is the Princesses hat like an antenna broadcasting a signal, a spell of Isis enchantment? I suspect, yes.

http://theopenscroll.blogspot.com/2012/11/part-50-sodomite-gateway-princess.html

Those two and those outfits and hats!  It's like they sarcastically dressed up as The Step-sisters from Cinderalla.  I love it!!!   The meme of that remains in my top 3 fav memes.

Screenshot_20180503-203950.png

Regarding Meghan,  go girl!  The Royal family seems to embrace her.  Harry got shit for saying that she finally has the family unit she never had.  Seemed a bit harsh but, some of her family is proving that.  What assholes.  Not cool to do that drama to any decent couple, nevermind on this scale.  I wouldn't invite them either.  This is a big deal of a wedding!

I'm very excited about the wedding, and I'm hoping I can stay awake for it.

Happy for the couple, I feel that they both love and respect each other. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived