IGNORED

You May Have Worn The Prom Dress

keen23

Yesterday, my Twitter feed was full of snark based on this piece (it's on a public site- I think the authors are all college students) https://www.theodysseyonline.com/you-may-have-worn-the-prom-dress-but-get-the-wedding-dress 

Oh boy. So many things to consider. She's hung up on the fact that her fiance took someone else to prom? I mean really? And if you go into the author's other pieces, she gets more obsessive. She's just so young and unformed. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I have issues with jealousy

:my_confused:  You don't say?  This girl has also written a piece called "A Thank You To The Girls Who Didn't Love Him Right."  Sounds like she has some hang-ups about her fiancé's past - and just any other girls in her fiancé's life - that she might want to work through.

I pity the poor guy. Just imagine if he so much as looks at a server in a restaurant for more than a few seconds, or stops to greet a female childhood friend. Ouch. I hope where they live has emergency hostels for battered husbands. He may need one in the future.

This female should really marry a sheltered homeschooled pure untouched fundie boy. So much more appropriate for her.

Were are the Arndts these days!???!!

Oh wow! That's a funny if cringeworthy read. To me it reads like a creative piece written by a high-school senior trying to picture what that type of circumstance would look like in a few years. I've never seen anyone care about a past prom that much.

I'd be screwed if I expected myself to have experienced all the high school stuff with my partner- I was a little kid when he was doing all that! It just makes this writer's perspective sound so narrow.

So strange and cringy worthy! I don't spend any time at all thinking about my husband's high school girlfriends. I certainly didn't obsess about it during wedding planning. Get thee to a therapist!

sooooo, she didn't go to her proms? or sports games? or even have a boyfriend in high school? i don't understand the point of all that drivel...

She sounds like a right bitch. If I were a guy I’d be so glad I wasn’t her fiancé. 

It’d be funny if they ended up divorced. What then?? 

High school seems like the best time of your life when you are in it.

false.jpg

if ever someone was too immature to handle getting married, she certainly is.  i had second-hand embarrassment reading that.  

FTR, Mr. CatLady has been FB friends with his high school girlfriend for about 6 years.  they spoke to each other at their last reunion.  i barely noticed.

Woo-boy. Some of this woman's other gems:

Shut up about your political agenda after a mass shooting:

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/stop-immediately-turning-tragedies-selfish-political-agenda

The justice system sucks, not because of innocent people on death row, but because I can't get an attorney to help me without paying him or her:

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/american-justice-system-joke-needs-change

And, finally, I'm a special snowflake who is uniquely ready to marry at a young age:

https://swoon.theodysseyonline.com/those-who-think-too-young-for-marriage

ETA: And this...I am just speechless.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/yes-can-be-feminine-and-not-feminist

I’m guessing she’s 19, 20 at most. Getting married before her junior year of college, then pregnant and dropping it before she can finish. 

I am actually incredibly grateful for my husband's ex girlfriend. From what I've heard, he was kind of on a bad path in life, and she helped him sort his life out. If it weren't for her, he wouldn't be the man I'm with today.

So while I was at school 3-4 years ago, EVERYONE felt that they were authors and wrote on the Odyssey. There were so many doozy's that I was like are you actually serious?!

I pity her, but it seems like a logical, if extreme, result of purity teaching.  If you're taught that, you may indeed feel jealous of anyone who shared anything with your fiance or spouse, at any point in the past.  I hope she can make peace with all of it, and be OK with her present life, or it's going to harm her marriage.  

Ohhhhh, honey. Time to sit down with kindly old Aunt Hane, who is old enough to be your grandma.

Yes, he dated someone else in high school. Didn’t you? Even if you didn’t, GET THE FUCK OVER IT. 

Hey, I got married at 20, as a college student, too. Like you, I thought I was mature enough to. I FUCKING WASN’T, and neither are you. Conservative families tend to conflate good behavior, good intentions, and hard work with maturity. THEY’RE NOT THE SAME THING. Life experience and a period of independence are absolutely invaluable.

Now, finish your tea and have a piece of pound cake.

I saw this all over Twitter too. Are the pieces on this site edited at all? Can anyone post? I feel like somebody needs to have a sit-down with a lot of college writers about the difference between a publishable piece for your portfolio and something that might be better suited for your private tumblr. I mean, I wrote some (relatively) dumb crap for my campus paper, but at least I had an editor who could hit the brakes if I turned in something truly embarrassing.

As soon as i read that blog, I remembered that song that was referenced... WTH difference does it make? His prior experiences made him the man he is today, and if that is the man that caught her eye, she should be happy he's gotten those experiences. Perhaps if she had gone to the prom with him (sleeveless dress! dancing! scandal!) she'd have been so clingy and judgnemtal that he'd have taken her home early and gone drinking with his buddies... poof~ end of that relationship.

I hope her poor fiancé has good pals who can talk some sense into him so he has time to call off the wedding sooner rather than later, UNLESS he loves her jealousy because he is do insecure that she makes him feel REALLY wanted!!!

Well this is a marriage that's likely to struggle, assuming it goes ahead. Run away fiance, run away!! Don't be the starter husband she obviously is going to have while she grows up!

She sure sounds fun. I married young (20) and haven't regretted it or changed my mind. Our anniversaries are now numbered in the teens. However, I don't think I really understood exactly what marriage was (and wasn't) when we made the decision to marry.

I have never thought about my hubs high school girlfriend and I've never given a fudge that he had one. 

This girl seems like a young teen writing about what she thinks it will feel like when she is engaged. 

The hell? Prom? I get that she's really young, so I guess maybe prom is more present in her mind, but still... what?

I'm trying to view this from the other side. If I were engaged to some guy who was hung up on who I went to prom with, or the fact that he wasn't the first man I'd kissed, or whatever, I would run very fast in the other direction.

The guy I went to prom with was best man in our wedding, and still nearly 30yrs later we are all still friends. My husband dated my sister before we went out. It was a small town, out options were limited, lol. 

Sometimes I have issues with jealousy

I have just one word for her fiance: RUUUUUUN!

Archived