IGNORED

One of these things is not like the others... - Kelly

kaetrin

Kelly at GC is exhorting mothers not to let themselves get carried away with the busy pace of life, but to make sure they have "margin" time. Here is her list of questions to determine if you are over-scheduled:

"Some basic questions to help you assess your life-margins:

Do you feel rushed due to appointments, deadlines or schedules?

Does your husband have clean underwear?

Do you have time for spontaneous walks? Picnics? Conversations? Reading?

Do you have time to sit in the mornings, perhaps reading God’s Word or thinking through your day?

Do you often feel tense or easily irritated?

Do you say “Hurry up†a lot?

Do you cook most meals or order out?"

I'm not opposed to trying to simplify your life as far as possible within the limits of your situation and your goals, but WTF is up with the husband's clean underwear? Is that like some sort of fundie absolute minimum housekeeping standard? Doesn't everyone in the family need clean underwear? What does it remotely have to do with the level of stress and spontaneous flex-time in the schedule? It's petty, I know, but it makes me go "huh??"

In response to Kelly@GC..

Why, yes, I DO feel rushed due to appointments...being a cancer patient is a full-time job!

Well, going back over 20 years ago, if my then-husband DIDN'T put on clean underwear, that's MY fault?

Spontaneous walks (quick runs to 7-11 for snacks okay?) or picnics? Uh, I think through my day DURING my day...

See Question #1, please

Yeah, either when my dog gets in my way or standing in front of the microwave heating up a cup of tea (again).

Well, I usually eat at home more, but what's wrong with a take-out meal occasionally?

Do you feel rushed due to appointments, deadlines or schedules? Yes. In fact, I cannot think of a time in the past year when I did not have a deadline in the near future.

Does your husband have clean underwear? Always. It's not always folded and put away, but he knows how to get it out of the laundry basket.

Do you have time for spontaneous walks? Picnics? Conversations? Reading? Walks and conversations: if they are important enough, then everything else can wait. Picnics are not a priority, and I just don't have a lot of time to go to the library for reading material.

Do you have time to sit in the mornings, perhaps reading God’s Word or thinking through your day? I say Shema while making the bed so probably not!

Do you often feel tense or easily irritated? Most of the time. It's called 'college'.

Do you say “Hurry up†a lot? Nope. Just because it is counter-productive. Kids start tuning you out if you bark at them all the time.

Do you cook most meals or order out? I cook all meals. Takeout for my family would be, I dunno, probably $50 a meal. Fast food would be about $20-25 if I did dollar menu. Otherwise I might be inclined to get Chinese on occasion.

Do you have time to sit in the mornings, perhaps reading God’s Word or thinking through your day?

The only time I feel rushed is when I've stayed up too long and know I wont get enough sleep, and when I get ready for work, because I value my sleep over taking a long time to get ready. And at work.

I don't have a husband, so I guess you'd have to have ESP and know who he will be and then ask him!

Plenty. I am single and work "full time" (35 hrs. a week).

No, I rush from the time I get up. I relax after I get off, or during my lunch break, not in the "morning" (technically I guess it is morning, I stay up until 4 or 5 most days).

Yes, I am a nurse aid. Lifting people who weigh as much or more as you, and trying to navigate conversations with people with Alzheimer's and dementia (and a brain injury or two) can make one tense and irritated.

Only to the cars in front of me when I have somewhere to be. Even then I am more likely to just sigh, accept I'll be late, and continue thinking about stuff, because cars were clearly made to consider life, love, and other mysteries.

Drive through. Not because I am rushed, but because I work half an hour from home and I don't like to bring my lunch because things don't taste the same after they sit in an insulated lunch box with an ice pack. Yes, I recognize that this is immature.

To Kaetrin. I assume the reasoning for husbands specifically, in the fundy world, that if your kids don't have clean underwear, they can put up with dirty ones while you do a load of laundry, but if your husband does not have clean underwear and has to go to a job, that he has to have clean clothes.

Do you cook most meals or order out?

Almost always. Being a working gal, work always has deadlines. And I also value my sleep.

My husband actually helps with the housework and does part of the laundry, so you'd have to ask him.

My schedule is pretty busy for spontaneous walks and picnics.

I wake up too late and only have time to get ready. Again, I value my sleep. :lol:

Always.

Not really.

I prefer cooking only because it's cheaper, but I'll order out if I feel like it.

This is awesome, I've been meaning to test my margins...

1. Of course, and I feel lost if I'm not

2. You'd have to ask him. I don't actually check. I do check that my 6 yo does, though.

3. I walk spontaneously all over the hospital every day. They frown on picnics, though. Talk a lot and read a lot, so yes.

4. Nope, school bus comes at 7:15. No way am I getting up an hour early to think.

5. I'm pretty laid back

6. Only in the mornings, see #4

7. I cook. I like to.

Archived