IGNORED

Free Gospel Bible Institute

Knight of Ni

38 minutes ago, smittykins said:

"When work uniforms require short sleeves, the student should change to maintain the spirit of this guideline."  WTF does this even mean?

Thou shalt not be swolls. Well defined biceps are a stumbling block along with boot cut jeans. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, imokit said:

Hair is not to be cut or trimmed during your three years here.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'm glad they have a nice illustration of how men should wear their hairstyles! So helpful!

God seems very concerned about human hairstyles.  (Note: He's probably hiding from Gwen Shamblin's up-do.) 

Another question, "Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man hath long hair, it is a shame unto him?"  Doth nature really teach us that?  Just curious what this means.

3 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

Lest anyone believe the rule-makers at OBI are out-of-touch, I will remind you that they allow and even encourage students to bring a typewriter or even a, uh...what are those things called again? Oh yes, a COMPUTER!

They also recognize that in these crazy times, technology has been blended to the point where you can't even necessarily separate tech used for work from tech used for play, for example:

obi9.PNG.203774a203769bc8c39ef5198ee3bc6b.PNG

Again, if you have any questions, just send them an electronic telegram at obiwebpage(at)juno.com. They probably won't reply, due to a forgotten password or a malicious computer virus that requests that they update their browser or something, but if you patiently wait for your neighbor to get off the party line, and then ask your telephone operator to put you through to OBI, that should probably work. If not, have your husband walk a handwritten letter to your local post office and request that they summon the Pony Express.

Part of me wants to think that they have to specifically condemn VCRs in case some enterprising student goes to Goodwill and secretly buys used VHS tapes of older movies and claims innocence because tapes were never mentioned as being banned. However, given the kinds of students who are likely to apply to such a school, I doubt they would be this devious.

3 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

(Note: He's probably hiding from Gwen Shamblin's up-do.) 

Are you sure he isn't hiding IN her hair? Because I think he would fit. 

You know your rules are too strict when the Duggar and Bates families won't even follow them.

Wow- that is all rather crazy. I don't know my bible well enough to know the biblical justification but it seems particularly mad to me that a women can't cut her hair but that a man must cut his hair (with specific length sideburns). The blog shared above is also mad- i specifically enjoyed http://operationwife.com/hey-chick-hes-married/ - she must spend her life think that people are trying to steal her husband from her!

9 hours ago, purplepeony said:

Wow- that is all rather crazy. I don't know my bible well enough to know the biblical justification but it seems particularly mad to me that a women can't cut her hair but that a man must cut his hair (with specific length sideburns). The blog shared above is also mad- i specifically enjoyed http://operationwife.com/hey-chick-hes-married/ - she must spend her life think that people are trying to steal her husband from her!

The justification used for the argument comes from these verses:

Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

1 Corinthians 11:14 -15(KJV)

I used King James because it seemed fitting.

Sorry I could figure out how to delete the extra quote box on my tablet.

7 hours ago, purplepeony said:

Thanks for the find!  Wow.  Chill out hun.  It's like some Christian hussy is around every corner!  And, FU lady, she expects it from non-christians?!  As if! 

59 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Thanks for the find!  Wow.  Chill out hun.  It's like some Christian hussy is around every corner!  And, FU lady, she expects it from non-christians?!  As if! 

Right?! Here she what she says: 

"The thing that bothered me the most?

It was a Christian girl.

I expect this kind of behavior out of non-Christian people, but it has not ceased to amaze me that she, along with several others, are playing around with this kind of thing."

^^^I would have guessed the writer of this garbage was 17 at the most. She's incredibly immature and obviously lives in a judgmental little bubble. No wonder she loved that horrid school so much. They could all get together and turn their noses up at all the worldly girls. 

7 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

This blog post covers the reason for long hair with the apostolic/ Pentecostal women. Apparently long doesn't mean a set length, it means uncut. https://www.google.com/amp/s/passionatepentecostal.wordpress.com/2012/06/23/day-10-apostolic-beliefs-our-crowning-glory/amp/

A big ole F YOU to the people who say that. If they want my hair to be lo my so bad they need to come to my house to help me brush it every morning and wipe away my tears from the pain. My hair is above my shoulders and still has to be wet to bed able to be brushed through without extreme pain. It tangles like no one business.

10 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

This blog post covers the reason for long hair with the apostolic/ Pentecostal women. Apparently long doesn't mean a set length, it means uncut. https://www.google.com/amp/s/passionatepentecostal.wordpress.com/2012/06/23/day-10-apostolic-beliefs-our-crowning-glory/amp/

It means uncut to certain churches and denominations. As far as I understand, the Greek word used for long does not mean uncut. However, Jesus spoke in King James English.

Some churches can be strict on the length of hair allowed on men and some have specific guidelines for sideburns.

On 11/29/2017 at 6:33 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

I’m so glad I’m not fundie and dan wear pants to bed. I hate how nightgowns inch up while one sleeps. 

I’m glad I’m not fundie and can sleep in my bra and undies!  And it’s actually for a very practical reason: I tend to sweat a lot at night (especially during those hot Florida summers) and sleeping in just my underwear (along with some good ventilation and/or a fan) helps to keep me cool at night.  Even shorts tend to inch up on me while I sleep, which gets very annoying.  Oh boy, those fundies would hate me.  A 30-year-old single, atheist woman who wears pants and shorts and defrauds at night in the name of comfort! :omg:

On 11/30/2017 at 6:55 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

Daily, I ask myself, “is my general deportment above reproach?”

Can anybody tell me what in the blue hell does that statement even mean?  It sounds like it came out one of those heathen Brontë sisters’ novels! (/sarcasm)

Wow, and I thought the fundie Lutheran college my cousin went to was nutty. I mean, it is, just in a very different way.  A few highlights from their student handbook:

• The student president must be male
  • You are not allowed to cut across the grass. You must use the sidewalk.
  • Mix tapes are an illegal copyright violation and not allowed
  • Students may not have laser pointers
  • Do not go looking for bears

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_STpgnMDbKg0KHFTx1v3QPeGL-5Som_xAcIJu0f6258/edit

In more standard fundie terms, no dancing, but students 21 or older can drink, and you can hold hands. 

2 hours ago, Terrie said:

Wow, and I thought the fundie Lutheran college my cousin went to was nutty. I mean, it is, just in a very different way.  A few highlights from their student handbook:

• The student president must be male
  • You are not allowed to cut across the grass. You must use the sidewalk.
  • Mix tapes are an illegal copyright violation and not allowed
  • Students may not have laser pointers
  • Do not go looking for bears

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_STpgnMDbKg0KHFTx1v3QPeGL-5Som_xAcIJu0f6258/edit

In more standard fundie terms, no dancing, but students 21 or older can drink, and you can hold hands. 

Bears are heathen, unless they are of the SC variety.  Those bears are Episcopal but still suspect.  Seriously, I can understand the reasons why they say don't go looking for bears.  It's the same reason golfers in coastal SC are told to not mess with the gators.  Some idiots don't understand that you don't mess with wild life.  

I do want to know:  How does one avoid ticks?  If you go outdoors in areas where ticks are prevalent, it's not like you can see a cluster of ticks sitting around cavorting and avoid them.   

Oh, I get why they say it, but it's odd that it's in the student handbook. Living in the midwest, you avoid ticks by staying out of long grass and using bug spray.

43 minutes ago, Terrie said:

Oh, I get why they say it, but it's odd that it's in the student handbook. Living in the midwest, you avoid ticks by staying out of long grass and using bug spray.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek.  I was raised in the midwest (Indy and the Chicago 'burbs) and I know about ticks.  I come from a family of hunters.  You also treat your clothes with permethrin and use a DEET based bug spray.  Especially when you go into the woods

Sleepwear -in my fundie family my sister & I couldn't wear PJs until I was 24 and she was 22. until then they were a huge, immodest no no. Then we could wear them but not where our brother and dad could see. That finally changed oh, 3 years ago maybe 4? 

Anyway. My mom always said once you'd get married your husband would prefer nightgowns because you'd look more feminine + he would be able to feel & touch you at night. 

Oh look. She's a little Lori Alexander 

http://operationwife.com/10-reasons-your-man-shouldnt-be-washing-the-dishes/

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 12:21 PM, CTRLZero said:

Are there any alumni who have emerged onto FJ's radar?   I didn't notice any.

I am an alumnus of this college. Some of what is being mentioned is very old information that no longer applies. And some doesn't have to do with religious standards. For instance, the microwaves only allowed in the men's dorm sounds outrageous, but context makes all the difference. The dorms are not set up like you would typically expect in a college setting where each room is almost apartment style. They are more like a hallway of bedrooms, and then bathrooms and lounging areas are shared by all the female or male students in their respective dorm. There are microwaves in these lounging areas in both the men and women's dorms. In the past, the reason why only the men could have microwaves in their individual dorm rooms was because the building was newer and the electricity in that dorm could handle the extra load. In the women's dorm, microwaves were tripping breakers. But in the last decade the ladies' dorm got upgrades so they too could have microwaves without tripping breakers. I'd be happy to answer any other questions anyone has. 

That makes sense, @MByo2013, and I'm not surprised there is some type of explanation for that ridiculous rule about the microwaves, but it still isn't okay. They needed to do whatever was necessary to update their systems in such a way that would allow them to treat male and female students equally. I'd love to hear more about your experience, though! I guess I don't have any specific questions right now, but anything you want to share would be interesting to me.

1 hour ago, MByo2013 said:

Some of what is being mentioned is very old information that no longer applies.

Can you say what things no longer apply? Do they still police what clothing women can sleep in and have rules about cutting hair? Not even IBLP was that crazy strict! 

25 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

That makes sense, @MByo2013, and I'm not surprised there is some type of explanation for that ridiculous rule about the microwaves, but it still isn't okay. They needed to do whatever was necessary to update their systems in such a way that would allow them to treat male and female students equally. I'd love to hear more about your experience, though! I guess I don't have any specific questions right now, but anything you want to share would be interesting to me.

Well, the "inequality" can be explained by the fact that the college is run on "faith". They do not charge students tuition to come. They charge a handful of fees per semester that do not amount to much at all. Like, you pay for your books, any extras like a car, fridge, microwave. You pay a $600 entrance fee. Other than that there isn't much else students pay for. And if a student can't pay, they don't make them. So... all of the money that comes in is mostly from donations from people who support the school. That means, if something needs upgrading, they need to pray for God to provide the need. Upgrading the dorms to a more modern layout, like apartment style is on their radar though.

1 minute ago, MByo2013 said:

Well, the "inequality" can be explained by the fact that the college is run on "faith". They do not charge students tuition to come. They charge a handful of fees per semester that do not amount to much at all. Like, you pay for your books, any extras like a car, fridge, microwave. You pay a $600 entrance fee. Other than that there isn't much else students pay for. And if a student can't pay, they don't make them. So... all of the money that comes in is mostly from donations from people who support the school. That means, if something needs upgrading, they need to pray for God to provide the need. Upgrading the dorms to a more modern layout, like apartment style is on their radar though.

I know, I did read the info. It's definitely inexpensive as far as college goes, but I did find it a bit strange that they champion it as being free when it's not really free. They can call the fees whatever they want, but you still have to pay money to go.

But it's not "inequality" in quotes, it's actual inequality. You don't agree?

24 minutes ago, MByo2013 said:

And if a student can't pay, they don't make them

They kind of make it seem like they want their money.

If you owe an outstanding balance, an invoice has been included with this letter. It is critical that you begin sending payments on a regular basis to cover this debt. (Weekly, bi-weekly or monthly payments are necessary at this time of course, payment in full is always welcome!) Payments maybe made by credit/debit cards, check or money order someone in the office would be more than happy to complete that transaction for you.

And if you rent books from them:

I acknowledge the non-return replacement cost and replacement fee will be 200% of the rental fee.......I authorize FGBI to add this amount to my school bill.

Books are not issued until rental fees are paid. (First paid, First served basis) No books areheld in reserve for unpaid agreements

I agree to pay a 10% cancellation fee for any part of this order that is cancelled

Am I missing the part where they say you can take the books/classes on faith and if you can't pay it isn't a big deal? I searched but couldn't find a part about letting folks come for free. 

Edited, I finally found it in their handbook, but saying we run on faith and then making students agree to stuff like that rather makes it seem like they will go after you if you can't pay. 

Also:

A diploma will not be issued until all school debts are paid and all work has been satisfactorily completed.

Archived