IGNORED

Free Gospel Bible Institute

Knight of Ni

19 hours ago, MByo2013 said:

Yeah, there is a lot of rule-breaking for the piddly things. Like staying up late and hiding in a closet on your phone or laptop. Or keeping your phone with you in classes. The punishment they use is called "campusing" which... just means you're not allowed to go off campus a day or two... or a week if it's really bad. I would say about 85% of the students try to obey the rules though because it leads to extra privileges. Every semester the faculty meet and grade the behavior of each student. It's called "conduct and adaptability" In order to make Dean's List, you have to have Excellent/Excellent conduct and adaptibility. So... if you are repeatedly breaking rules, and you've been approached about it several times without correcting it, you won't get the Excellent/Excellent and you won't get Dean's List, and... consequently... you blow your shot at extra privileges like staying up later, getting to leave campus more often, not having to attend things that are mandatory for other students, etc. 

When I was in college, I had a professor (a real blowhard, in my opinion) who had a rule that all cell phones must turned off. Not just silent, but OFF. It was so annoying because this one fellow student got into a big argument with him about it, because she said she had kids and needed to be reachable by their caregivers. I just wanted to tell them both to shut the hell up. Teacher, stop being such an inflexible dick. Classmate, stop being argumentative for no real reason. Put your phone on silent and just shut up, like the rest of us.

What is my point? I don't know, I'm just sharing!

But we were all adults there. I just can't really fathom the level of control that some of these schools, like yours, have over their students.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

When I was in college, I had a professor (a real blowhard, in my opinion) who had a rule that all cell phones must turned off. Not just silent, but OFF. It was so annoying because this one fellow student got into a big argument with him about it, because she said she had kids and needed to be reachable by their caregivers. I just wanted to tell them both to shut the hell up. Teacher, stop being such an inflexible dick. Classmate, stop being argumentative for no real reason. Put your phone on silent and just shut up, like the rest of us.

What is my point? I don't know, I'm just sharing!

But we were all adults there. I just can't really fathom the level of control that some of these schools, like yours, have over their students.

I think in this day and age it's good to make some of these kids take a break from their phones. It's come to a point where it invokes tremendous anxiety in a person when they are separated from their devices for even a brief bit of time. We see it in the workforce with kids all the time. It's the end of the world if they can't have their phone. BUT... that being said... I do think a parent should definitely be allowed to keep their phone on them. I would probably insist on it myself. I wouldn't make a big argumentative scene by any means... but I might just keep it on me without saying anything. 

Archived