IGNORED

Free Gospel Bible Institute

Knight of Ni

22 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Can you say what things no longer apply? Do they still police what clothing women can sleep in and have rules about cutting hair? Not even IBLP was that crazy strict! 

Sure. So... someone had a question about policing the use of utilities. There is no policing. I think they just hope that by mentioning it, people will be considerate because the finances of the entire school are covered by donation. They do have a "lights out" time. I would say this is mainly a courtesy to the others sharing your room, but it is enforced. A dean comes around and makes sure all the lights are off. The sleepwear, I think was adopted in recent years because girls were lounging around the dorm all day on Saturdays in their sleep pants and someone felt that was wrong. Most people I know in this denomination, or that even attend there, do not have a problem with sleep pants. Hair can't be cut. That's taken from the Bible. You are removed from ministry activities if you cut your hair because you represent the school. They no longer bother with the "cell phone must not connect to the internet" It may still be in the agreement, but it's not enforced. The jumpers are a uniform- they only have to wear them to classes. You can wear your usual attire outside of classes and church, as long as it is still modest according to the guidelines.  The schedule looks really tight, but it's not really. In recent years they really have eased up on mandatory things, even cutting out some classroom hours. Study hall used to be mandatory- it's not anymore. The half hour of "social time" is simply when the cafe is open in the evening and you can go there to be with your significant other. They can sit together at meals, see each other between classes, etc, go on "social outtings" etc. I've never heard anything about roller skating not being allowed... there was a girl who roller skated for exercise every afternoon I was there so... not sure about that one. And I know groups of students went ice-skating. The car restrictions I think are based on the fact that it is a small community and everyone knows a FGBI student when they see one and if they drive like maniacs, people come to complain. One year a student drove right into a neighbors barn so.... lol. And some of the other stuff mentioned comes from OBI and not FGBI. 

16 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

I know, I did read the info. It's definitely inexpensive as far as college goes, but I did find it a bit strange that they champion it as being free when it's not really free. They can call the fees whatever they want, but you still have to pay money to go.

But it's not "inequality" in quotes, it's actual inequality. You don't agree?

It's not an intentional preference for the men, no. There was actually talk of giving the women the newer dorm for a while, but it came down to the women preferring the location of the old dorm building. 

When you say "free" are you referring to the title of the college? 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

They kind of make it seem like they want their money.

And if you rent books from them:

Am I missing the part where they say you can take the books/classes on faith and if you can't pay it isn't a big deal? I searched but couldn't find a part about letting folks come for free. 

Edited, I finally found it in their handbook, but saying we run on faith and then making students agree to stuff like that rather makes it seem like they will go after you if you can't pay. 

Also:

Well, you are absolutely right. They have certain things in place to get what is owed to them, but they never deny you from coming, if you cannot pay. Like... you are still invoiced, you still have to pay a minimum, you still have to establish a payment plan, etc.... but you are not kicked out or hindered from returning if you haven't paid a cent. Some things aren't issued without payment. Like books- they can borrow their books if need be, but the school won't issue books that aren't paid for. And you don't get to have a fridge/microwave/car if you don't pay the entrance fee because those are extras. You won't get your diploma unless your bill is satisfied... etc. But they won't turn it over to collections or anything like that. 

6 minutes ago, MByo2013 said:

It's not an intentional preference for the men, no. There was actually talk of giving the women the newer dorm for a while, but it came down to the women preferring the location of the old dorm building. 

When you say "free" are you referring to the title of the college? 

But you don't think they do actually give men preference? Not necessarily about the microwaves, but just in general? Because that's kind of patriarchy's whole thing. I'm not trying to be combative with you, I'm just curious what your story is. Are you still involved in this religion?

I don't know if the name of the college means free in a financial sense or in some other sense, but they seem to be pretty big on saying they don't charge tuition.

7 minutes ago, MByo2013 said:

Well, you are absolutely right. They have certain things in place to get what is owed to them, but they never deny you from coming, if you cannot pay. Like... you are still invoiced, you still have to pay a minimum, you still have to establish a payment plan, etc.... but you are not kicked out or hindered from returning if you haven't paid a cent. Some things aren't issued without payment. Like books- they can borrow their books if need be, but the school won't issue books that aren't paid for. And you don't get to have a fridge/microwave/car if you don't pay the entrance fee because those are extras. You won't get your diploma unless your bill is satisfied... etc. But they won't turn it over to collections or anything like that. 

Well this is a heck of a lot different than going by faith and not denying people just because you can't pay. They make you pay a minimum and then they won't let you graduate if you don't have the money to give them. And if you can't pay for the books you can't attend classes(they make that very clear), so they are effectively kicking you out if financially you can't pay for books.  

1 minute ago, Coy Koi said:

But you don't think they do actually give men preference? Not necessarily about the microwaves, but just in general? Because that's kind of patriarchy's whole thing. I'm not trying to be combative with you, I'm just curious what your story is. Are you still involved in this religion?

I don't know if the name of the college means free in a financial sense or in some other sense, but they seem to be pretty big on saying they don't charge tuition.

Nah, I don't think you are being combative at all. I'm no longer associated with this school, but it's not because of the school. It's because of the leadership. The school itself really is a great place and was very instrumental in my life. The leadership was not.  I don't feel comfortable sharing the 'story' in a public forum though. It's one of those things, like... I'm not bitter, but... I'm wiser...  I am still a Pentecostal and still wear skirts and don't cut my hair as a personal choice. Those are things I feel like I can find in the Bible. But I've carefully thought through a lot of other things and dropped anything I am certain has no Biblical backing. For instance, when it's made out to be a great big sin when a man has a beard.... Jesus Himself had a beard, so... I don't see how anyone can be sinning if they have a beard. You know... stuff like that. 

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Well this is a heck of a lot different than going by faith and not denying people just because you can't pay. They make you pay a minimum and then they won't let you graduate if you don't have the money to give them. And if you can't pay for the books you can't attend classes(they make that very clear), so they are effectively kicking you out if financially you can't pay for books.  

Not really. When they have a graduation ceremony, everyone gets a "decoy" diploma, so no one knows who has or hasn't paid. You come to the office for your real one afterwards. Books can be borrowed. I mean it's like the school has to have faith that people will pay their bills, but the students also have to have faith that God will provide for their own bills. I mean, the most likely thing to happen if a student doesn't get their hands on some books, is that a faculty member will cover the cost. But even if every single student paid their bill in 100% it is still a fraction of what it costs to run the place. If every student paid their fees completely, the school would get MAYBE $40,000. It costs a quarter of a million a year to run the school each year, so.... it's a drop in the bucket. 

21 minutes ago, MByo2013 said:

Nah, I don't think you are being combative at all. I'm no longer associated with this school, but it's not because of the school. It's because of the leadership. The school itself really is a great place and was very instrumental in my life. The leadership was not.  I don't feel comfortable sharing the 'story' in a public forum though. It's one of those things, like... I'm not bitter, but... I'm wiser...  I am still a Pentecostal and still wear skirts and don't cut my hair as a personal choice. Those are things I feel like I can find in the Bible. But I've carefully thought through a lot of other things and dropped anything I am certain has no Biblical backing. For instance, when it's made out to be a great big sin when a man has a beard.... Jesus Himself had a beard, so... I don't see how anyone can be sinning if they have a beard. You know... stuff like that. 

I don't cut my hair either, but that's just because I've been really lazy about it. Now my stupid hair is so long that my sister said I look like a mermaid. I thought that was a weird thing to say, but she's right: mermaids do always have very long hair. Why is that?

Anyway, here's a question for you: do students generally try to find ways to get around the restrictive rules at all, or are they just happy to follow them? And does rule-breaking become a frequent issue that has to be dealt with?

1 minute ago, Coy Koi said:

Anyway, here's a question for you: do students generally try to find ways to get around the restrictive rules at all, or are they just happy to follow them? And does rule-breaking become a frequent issue that has to be dealt with?

Yeah, there is a lot of rule-breaking for the piddly things. Like staying up late and hiding in a closet on your phone or laptop. Or keeping your phone with you in classes. The punishment they use is called "campusing" which... just means you're not allowed to go off campus a day or two... or a week if it's really bad. I would say about 85% of the students try to obey the rules though because it leads to extra privileges. Every semester the faculty meet and grade the behavior of each student. It's called "conduct and adaptability" In order to make Dean's List, you have to have Excellent/Excellent conduct and adaptibility. So... if you are repeatedly breaking rules, and you've been approached about it several times without correcting it, you won't get the Excellent/Excellent and you won't get Dean's List, and... consequently... you blow your shot at extra privileges like staying up later, getting to leave campus more often, not having to attend things that are mandatory for other students, etc. 

1 hour ago, MByo2013 said:

I think was adopted in recent years because girls were lounging around the dorm all day on Saturdays in their sleep pants and someone felt that was wrong.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a rule that you have to put on clothing after getting up? IBLP didn't micro-manage what you wore while you slept, but they did say that you couldn't come out of your room in pajamas or pants. 

What can one actually do with a degree from this place? Sure it isn't a ton of money, but that is still a good bit if you graduate. Can you go get a job and support yourself with one of these degrees? 

How did you find this thread? Have you been a long time FJ lurker?

Just now, formergothardite said:

What can one actually do with a degree from this place? Sure it isn't a ton of money, but that is still a good bit if you graduate. Can you go get a job and support yourself with one of these degrees? 

Not really. It's actually just a diploma. No degree. With their diploma, you can teach in Christian schools or colleges, and that's about it. They talked about transitioning into a degree-issuing school, and started implementing some of the necessary steps to become one, but there's a lot involved in the process.  Mainly it was supposed to be a place to train people in ministry... to teach ethics, and the importance of prayer and studying the Bible...  Going was mostly for the experience. When I went, I was actually running away from home. I was 16 and being sexually abused by a man who my pastor was covering for... it was a huge ugly mess... but I knew they accepted you if you couldn't pay and I went. I graduated, then worked there, and was fiercely loyal... I had been taught to never question authority and obey without question... and eventually, of course it all backfired. But I am forever grateful for it's place in my history if that makes sense. I met and married my husband there.... the man that got me out. :) He's the one that saw through all of the things I pretended not to see.

On 4.12.2017 at 10:02 PM, Terrie said:

Wow, and I thought the fundie Lutheran college my cousin went to was nutty. I mean, it is, just in a very different way.  A few highlights from their student handbook:

• The student president must be male
  • You are not allowed to cut across the grass. You must use the sidewalk.
  • Mix tapes are an illegal copyright violation and not allowed
  • Students may not have laser pointers
  • Do not go looking for bears

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_STpgnMDbKg0KHFTx1v3QPeGL-5Som_xAcIJu0f6258/edit

In more standard fundie terms, no dancing, but students 21 or older can drink, and you can hold hands. 

Thou shalt not play piano four-handed or accompany a singer, for musical co-operation is an abomination unto the Lord. Dueteronomy 1:1

duet.PNG.926e1ebe6fd5f82056c3db1e05f2db73.PNG

19 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

How did you find this thread? Have you been a long time FJ lurker?

No. I searched the school in google and was intrigued that it showed up on the renowned "Free Jinger". Lol. It's such a small school I was impressed that you all discovered it. 

14 minutes ago, MByo2013 said:

No. I searched the school in google and was intrigued that it showed up on the renowned "Free Jinger". Lol. It's such a small school I was impressed that you all discovered it. 

And now we just need to get you to stay and join us in marveling at the woman who locks her babies in literal cages and claims that is godly and John Shrader: The World's Most Awful Missionary. :my_smile: 

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

And now we just need to get you to stay and join us in marveling at the woman who locks her babies in literal cages and claims that is godly and John Shrader: The World's Most Awful Missionary. :my_smile: 

LOL. I'm definitely not up to speed on all of this, but it sounds awful! 

25 minutes ago, MByo2013 said:

When I went, I was actually running away from home. I was 16 and being sexually abused by a man who my pastor was covering for... it was a huge ugly mess... but I knew they accepted you if you couldn't pay and I went. I graduated, then worked there, and was fiercely loyal... I had been taught to never question authority and obey without question... and eventually, of course it all backfired. But I am forever grateful for it's place in my history if that makes sense. I met and married my husband there.... the man that got me out. :) He's the one that saw through all of the things I pretended not to see.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. But I'm happy that things are better now!

2 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. But I'm happy that things are better now!

Thank you! It's been a bit of a road, trying to sift through what was and wasn't Biblical and almost unlearning over a decade of ingrained teaching. Things I thought were a Biblical given like "never questioning authority" turning out to be complete and utter hogwash... I thought I was such a good Christian for being so devoted and loyal to the leader...  I still love the Lord and want to serve Him, but I have major trust issues with preachers. I shut down and don't hear another word if they make something a sin that isn't, or flippantly rebuke people for something that is merely a personal pet peeve of theirs. My husband and I found a church with a Pastor who is so gentle and humble. I wonder what he must think sometimes when he comes to greet us and fear flashes across my face because I am expecting a rebuke that never comes. 

2 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Why aren't they able to accept Western Union payments? 

I'm not sure. That happened after I left. My guess was that either Western Unions fees went up and they don't want to foot the extra expense anymore.... or.... there was a financial mess caused by the person who handles them and the answer was to just cut them out. I tend to believe that more.

10 minutes ago, MByo2013 said:

Thank you! It's been a bit of a road, trying to sift through what was and wasn't Biblical and almost unlearning over a decade of ingrained teaching. Things I thought were a Biblical given like "never questioning authority" turning out to be complete and utter hogwash... I thought I was such a good Christian for being so devoted and loyal to the leader...  I still love the Lord and want to serve Him, but I have major trust issues with preachers. I shut down and don't hear another word if they make something a sin that isn't, or flippantly rebuke people for something that is merely a personal pet peeve of theirs. My husband and I found a church with a Pastor who is so gentle and humble. I wonder what he must think sometimes when he comes to greet us and fear flashes across my face because I am expecting a rebuke that never comes. 

That had to be unbelievably difficult to have your trust betrayed in such a horrific manner. Maybe your pastor understands why someone might instinctively react in fear to him, even though he personally hasn't done anything wrong. He has to know that some people have faced abuse at the hands of religious leaders. I'm glad that he's gentle and kind to you!

You sound like a thoughtful person and I hope you'll stick around here.

56 minutes ago, MByo2013 said:

No. I searched the school in google and was intrigued that it showed up on the renowned "Free Jinger".

Are you sure you didn't mean "infamous." ;)

And welcome to Free Jinger.  I encourage you to stay around and read some more.  We have plenty of people here who have questioned the leadership of their religious faith and decided only to retain the parts they believe to be good.

It looks as though the Handbook rules for the school have been relaxed in practice but I'm would be willing to bet they are pointed to and used when the leadership wants yo kick someone out.

A trivial question, but I must ask:

On 11/30/2017 at 5:31 AM, Coy Koi said:

obi7.PNG.fd1aae83b618d0b7d9baa286c83b5240.PNG

Women not being allowed to cut their hair makes sense in a Pentecostal educational environment.  However, how many women have set fire to or chewed off their hair to require this sort of specificity in the rules?  My mind boggles!

56 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Are you sure you didn't mean "infamous." ;)

And welcome to Free Jinger.  I encourage you to stay around and read some more.  We have plenty of people here who have questioned the leadership of their religious faith and decided only to retain the parts they believe to be good.

It looks as though the Handbook rules for the school have been relaxed in practice but I'm would be willing to bet they are pointed to and used when the leadership wants yo kick someone out.

A trivial question, but I must ask:

Women not being allowed to cut their hair makes sense in a Pentecostal educational environment.  However, how many women have set fire to or chewed off their hair to require this sort of specificity in the rules?  My mind boggles!

BAHHHAAA. So.... that's OBIs handbook.  They are actually considered the more liberal of the two schools. I don't know of anyone personally who has gone to such lengths, but apparently someone was looking for a way around the cutting rule. I always thought the reference to "burning your hair off" when I've heard people talking about that, was curling it so much that it eventually got shorter and shorter. I know of several who have done that... though not intentionally. 

Can we please talk about rule 2.e. - maybe it is just me, and I know the terms are gender inclusive: but still: men dating men. How can a fundie type such phrases and not realize how funny this wording in their ideology is. I love it. 

The whole brochure reads like satire.

On 11/30/2017 at 5:55 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

Daily, I ask myself, “is my general deportment above reproach?”

Yeah me too. 

Some of the rules listed made me think of the rules for nurses from 1887.

Particularly this one;

Any nurse who smokes, uses liquor in any form, gets her hair done at a beauty shop or frequents dance halls will give the director of nurses good reason to suspect her worth, intentions and integrity.

Of course a director of nurses from 1887 is probably too liberal for these fundies.

@MByo2013, thanks for joining us and sharing your experiences.  I'm glad the Bible college was truly a place of refuge for you in what must have been an incredibly difficult time in your life.  

29 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

But even if every single student paid their bill in 100% it is still a fraction of what it costs to run the place. If every student paid their fees completely, the school would get MAYBE $40,000. It costs a quarter of a million a year to run the school each year, so.... it's a drop in the bucket. 

Are alumni expected to contribute to the school, to keep the finances afloat?  Or does the school receive lots of donations from random people who are interested in supporting a Godly institution?

3 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Are alumni expected to contribute to the school, to keep the finances afloat?  Or does the school receive lots of donations from random people who are interested in supporting a Godly institution?

There is an alumni association and technically, there are "dues". It's like $15 for an individual, $25 for a couple. But almost no one actually pays them. What they do glean from them supports special projects, like maybe a new piano, or a new pulpit or something. The majority of the school's income is from donations, yes. There are churches and individuals that support the school, the school sends "Ministry Teams" to churches and they bring back offerings that the churches gave, and they send out groups that perform plays across the country during the Christmas season, and offerings are taken up for those as well. 

Archived