IGNORED

Trump 24: Fiddling, er, Tweeting While Rome Burns

Destiny

I'm pretty sure Trump doesn't view Puerto Rico as part of America, so he doesn't understand why he needs to care or why they expect help. Expecting your country to help our when the entire area is destroyed isn't wanting everything done for you. 

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I'm pretty sure Trump doesn't view Puerto Rico as part of America, so he doesn't understand why he needs to care or why they expect help. Expecting your country to help our when the entire area is destroyed isn't wanting everything done for you. 

There’s actually a really interesting article in Washington Post about this by David Farenthold. It’s an interesting look into his mind. I can’t quote any because phone but read it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/lost-weekend-how-trumps-time-at-his-golf-club-hurt-the-response-to-maria/2017/09/29/ce92ed0a-a522-11e7-8c37-e1d99ad6aa22_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_trumpmaria-835pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Thank you for posting the link to the Washington Post, @Destiny. This paragraph hit me so hard that I had to copy it here:

“The Trump administration was slow off the mark,” said Rep. Darren Soto (D), the first Florida lawmaker of Puerto Rican descent elected to Congress. “. . . We’ve invaded small countries faster than we’ve been helping American citizens in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.”

Also, thank you to the person who gave us the disgust button! I love it, and I think I'll use it often here in the Politics area. 

(Putting a large IOU in the swear jar).

Fuck face strikes again.  A real President - even a Republican - would have done a lot better with his response instead of sitting on his fucking thumbs for a week whining about the NFL.  Jesus Fucking Christ.  American citizens are facing a humanitarian disaster and all this fucker wants to do is whine and spew twitter diarrhea and hope the people in Puerto Rico do him the service of dropping dead.  

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

Oh my god. What the fuck did I just wake up to? Fuck you you fucking fuck! The mayor of San Juan is a fucking badass and you aren’t fit to shine the floodwaters out of her fucking shoes you Orange Shitgibbon.

Yep.  I wonder what new low I'm going to wake up to every single morning.  This is among the lowest of the low. The mayor is doing her best to cope with immediate life or death emergencies going on all around her, and Trump is adding to the misery by scold-tweeting from his luxury golf course.  I'm making another donation to the disaster fund in the mayor's honor.  She is truly badass, and I hope she'll get some results from her pleas.

(I'm wondering if he's going to make an appearance at the President's Cup golf tournament being held just down the road.  Bush, Clinton and Obama showed up and have been pushing for disaster relief, so we'll see.)

yep, from his luxury golf course, he insults the people of Puerto Rico while they try to survive after a massive natural disaster. Classy guy. He's losing people again, according to very unofficial research. Angry about PR and twitter.

13 minutes ago, GrumpyGran said:

yep, from his luxury golf course, he insults the people of Puerto Rico while they try to survive after a massive natural disaster. Classy guy. He's losing people again, according to very unofficial research. Angry about PR and twitter.

His die hard base won't budge. All they see on Fox Spews is that the brown people of PR were 'mean to Trump'. The horrific conditions in PR is 'fake news'. That Puerto Rico won't work and wants everything done for them.  Yea, because Texas and Florida didn't need massive amounts of help, and if they did it wasn't their fault.  PR on the other hand are the takers. Not the makers.

The whole talking about himself in the third person and kicking up a tantrum when he gets the tiny bit of criticism makes me sick. How please tell me HOW can people still support and excuse this guy? 

I shudder at what Hannity is going to say. He will praise Trump for aid to  Texas and his Trump's ass for NOT helping Puerto Rico, cuz you know..brown people.:kitty-cussing:

Yeah it was definitely not the smartest move to read twitter this morning, his words have made me so emotional while again people are suffering. The POS also deleted them but forgets that internet last forever. Someone randomly tweeted that could he be doing this on purpose? To get enough of the island so he and his asshole buddies could make it into some type of business venture? It made me ill but I would not be surprised.

Also this

Spoiler

So many repugs snowflakes have been tweeting how horrible of a woman she is, just for saying that fuckface sucks. Which is fact. Some men are just so sensitive to a woman's power.

2 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

The POS also deleted them but forgets that internet last forever.

Holy shit, he went on a fucking delete SPREE! Too bad politico archives all your tweets motherfucker. The internet is forever. What a disgusting piece of human god damned trash. 

What. The. ACTUAL. Fucking. FUCK. Is. This. BULLSHIT?????

THEY CAN'T WATCH THE FUCKING "FAKE NEWS" BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO FUCKING POWER YOU ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!

Also, I'd say they would call this shit real god damned news because they are FUCKING LIVING IT!

I agree with Trump. The leader of Puerto Rico is doing a terrible job and I think it's time to get rid of the president of Puerto Rico. Impeachment sounds good right now.

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

What. The. ACTUAL. Fucking. FUCK. Is. This. BULLSHIT?????

THEY CAN'T WATCH THE FUCKING "FAKE NEWS" BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO FUCKING POWER YOU ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!

Also, I'd say they would call this shit real god damned news because they are FUCKING LIVING IT!

I think he is trying to cover his ass with the previous tweets by trying to convince people that he didn't really tweet that shit. So stupid, he doesn't realize that people have that those tweets.

Someone was discussing the NFL thing in one of the threads and can't remember if the info was here or not but didn't this hatred begin when Trump bought a team in the USFL in the 80s? He convinced the other team owners to change the schedule to compete with the NFL, thinking, I'm sure, that his league would beat the NFL in ratings. When it didn't happen, the league disbanded. So he was defeated by the NFL.

Then he attempted to buy the Buffalo Bills, who knows with what intention, but was out-bid. So I think this is one of his millions of perceived slights that he carries around, looking for an opportunity to destroy this thing that he couldn't conquer.  

1 hour ago, GrumpyGran said:

Someone was discussing the NFL thing in one of the threads and can't remember if the info was here or not but didn't this hatred begin when Trump bought a team in the USFL in the 80s? He convinced the other team owners to change the schedule to compete with the NFL, thinking, I'm sure, that his league would beat the NFL in ratings. When it didn't happen, the league disbanded. So he was defeated by the NFL.

Then he attempted to buy the Buffalo Bills, who knows with what intention, but was out-bid. So I think this is one of his millions of perceived slights that he carries around, looking for an opportunity to destroy this thing that he couldn't conquer.  

Yeah, he has a history of beef with the NFL. Here's one article about it.

Aaand he's back to tweeting about it.

7 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I shudder at what Hannity is going to say. He will praise Trump for aid to  Texas and his Trump's ass for NOT helping Puerto Rico, cuz you know..brown people.:kitty-cussing:

Hannity didn't even mention PR during last night's show.  He had a friendly chat with Eric Trump and showed a (rather lengthy) part two of a pre-taped interview with Rush Limbaugh.  Hannity also didn't mention the ouster of Tom Price.  Both topics were big news (fake news??) over at CNN and MSNBC.

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

Yeah, he has a history of beef with the NFL. Here's one article about it.

Aaand he's back to tweeting about it.

Rush Limbaugh also tried to buy a team in 2009, and also failed.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4562338

Conservative radio personality Rush Limbaugh lashed out at NFL union leader DeMaurice Smith, activists Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and the media a day after being dropped from a group trying to buy the St. Louis Rams.

On his syndicated show Thursday, Limbaugh said he was approached by St. Louis Blues chairman Dave Checketts earlier this year about participating in a Rams bid. Checketts assured him his involvement as a minority investor had been vetted by the NFL, he said.

"I said to him at this meeting, 'Are you aware of the firestorm?' He said 'We wouldn't have approached you if we hadn't taken care of that,' " said Limbaugh, a conservative favorite who is reviled by many liberals.

Rush Limbaugh is blaming the players union in part for his being dropped from a potential Rams ownership group. 

Limbaugh added that Checketts had told him his involvement had been cleared at the "highest levels of the NFL."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Colts owner Jim Irsay each expressed misgivings this week at a league-wide meeting about Limbaugh's involvement, with Goodell saying Limbaugh had made "polarizing" comments and Irsay vowing to vote against him.

On Wednesday, Checketts said Limbaugh had been dropped from the bid.

"This reflects where we're moving in an ethical nature," said Dan Lebowitz, executive director of the Center for Sports and Society at Northeastern University.

"The league has 78 percent African-American players," Lebowitz said. "Do you bring in someone who has made racist statements to own a team that's largely made up of players the owner has made slurring statements about?"

With Limbaugh out, the Checketts group is sifting through new investors. A person familiar with the process said global financier and philanthropist George Soros is not under consideration to be a part of the Checketts group. Former Rams running back Marshall Faulk could be part of it, a source said.

Checketts is a ways away from reconfiguring the investment group, as the Rams are a ways from being sold at this point.

During a 15-minute counterattack at the start of his show, Limbaugh said he believes he's been made an example by a players' union seeking leverage in talks over a new collective bargaining agreement. What happened to him was an illustration of "Obama's America on full display," the commentator said.

Limbaugh's history hurt his participation in the bid. In 2003, he was forced to resign from ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown" after saying of the Eagles' Donovan McNabb: "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well."

According to transcripts posted on his Web site, in 2007 Limbaugh said: "The NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it."

Limbaugh blamed Smith, executive director of the NFLPA and an "Obama-ite," along with Sharpton and Jackson, whom he referred to as "race hustlers," for Checketts' decision to drop him. He said his sacking was an example of the political clout wielded by President Barack Obama's administration.

"What is happening to the National Football League, what is about to happen to it, has already happened to Wall Street, has already happened to the automobile business," Limbaugh said.

Limbaugh said he was victimized in the media by "misreporting, lying, repeating the lies while also saying 'Limbaugh denies,' repeating the made-up quotes, the blind hatred."

"Believe me, the hatred that exists in this is found in the sportswriter community, it's found in the news business, it's found in the race hustler business," Limbaugh said.

Limbaugh said Checketts telephoned on Tuesday, asking him to withdraw from the group. Limbaugh responded that he wouldn't withdraw and that Checketts would have to "go public and fire me," and thought the news would be made public Thursday morning.

Smith, the NFLPA head, last week voiced his objections to Limbaugh's bid with Goodell, and urged players to speak out. Sharpton and Jackson also attacked Limbaugh's involvement, asserting that Limbaugh's track record on race should exclude him.

Limbaugh said the real reason he's out is the NFLPA's attempt to influence negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement. "It's designed to intimidate the owners, frighten the owners, and say, 'We're running this league now, gang, not you,' " Limbaugh said.

Limbaugh said he's "lost nothing" because of the episode and vowed to continue being the "biggest non-paid promoter of the sport."

The Checketts group is among a reported half-dozen bidders for the Rams, and would keep the team in St. Louis. The children of the late Georgia Frontiere, who inherited the team upon her death in January 2008, announced in June that they had hired the investment firm Goldman Sachs to review assets of the estate, including the football team.

All franchise sales must be approved by 24 of the NFL's 32 teams -- an ownership group that is overwhelmingly white, conservative and focused on the bottom line, which could have suffered if fans or advertisers were angered by Limbaugh.

"There's an argument that says the very principles Rush espouses -- the free market -- are what did him in," said the conservative radio host Michael Smerconish. "This IS the free market. These are private businessmen who made a decision about what was in the best business interest of their thriving venture.

"It's definitely ironic. There's a bit of hypocrisy here as well," Smerconish said, citing a study that showed 70 percent of NFL owners' political contributions went to Republicans. "Through their dollars they are very supportive of the sort of politics that Rush talks."

Said the Rev. Al Sharpton, who was a loud voice of opposition to Limbaugh's bid: "It's remarkable in that he was denied by other powerful whites. At the end of the day, his own peers said, 'You are a liability.' Even the rich and powerful do not want to be identified with racism."

Great opinion piece: "Trump’s the one who should stop disrespecting our flag'

Spoiler

“Chicago Blackhawks fans have a tradition for the playing of our national anthem: They cheer. They holler. They applaud,” explained Yahoo Sports’ Greg Wyshynski. “Their volume at home games can drown out the words and music.” Apparently, this raucous behavior during the rendition of the “The Star-Spangled Banner” has been going on for years.

A Post column in 2012 explored how Baltimore Orioles fans’ habit of shouting “Oh!” during the national anthem has made its way to the pregame ceremonies of the Baltimore Ravens, Washington Capitals and other teams.

Michael Phelps laughed during the playing of the national anthem as he picked up his 20th gold medal last year. He said his “boys from Baltimore were down at the other end,” yelling “Oh.” He said, “Back in Maryland, we all say ‘Oh!’ for the Orioles during that part of the national anthem.”

I am a product of my history. I, like millions of other Americans, was taught to pledge allegiance to the flag in grade school. We stood, placed our right hands over our hearts and repeated the words.

As with millions, I have stood on my feet during the rendition of “The Star-Spangled Banner” in school, at college, during military service and public service, and always when called upon to do so at other events.

But I take my national anthem straight: No cheering, hollering, applauding or talking during the rendition. No adding words like “Oh!” or a team’s name or anything else. Just the words I was taught.

So are Blackhawks fans rude and disrespectful? Is the tradition of adding, changing or twisting words to the national anthem offensive?

Adulterating “The Star-Spangled Banner” is annoying and not for me. However, it’s also not for me to decide whether, when or how fans in the stands or athletes on the football field, basketball court or baseball diamond exercise their constitutional rights.

Enter the killing of unarmed African Americans by police. Enter evidence of the continued presence of white supremacy and racial injustices. Enter NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s refusal to stand during the playing of the national anthem last year. He said he was “not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.” Since then, other black players have chosen to express themselves through Kaepernick’s mode of protest.

Enter bombastic President Trump last week with his racial-politics-driven campaign to ignore the Constitution and see fired any “son of a b----” on the field who protests by taking a knee during the anthem. That attempt at bullying, along with his petulant decision to publicly disinvite NBA champion Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors from the White House, only added fuel to the fire, while further lowering his stature as president.

Last weekend’s protests were in support of Kaepernick and the other athletes who silently and peacefully call attention to America’s unfilled promises. But they were also conducted in defiance and as a rebuke of Trump and his disdain for the Constitution and for the defamatory language he directed against Americans protesting injustice.

Trump tweets that players should “stop disrespecting our Flag & Country.”

Flag and country are not out of my mind.

How could I not think of flag and country when I consider the actions of a hostile foreign power attempting to corrupt our basic American democratic franchise? The thought of Russia interfering in our presidential election to help Trump and defeat Hillary Clinton is as stunning as it is outrageous. But that is what Russian President Vladimir Putin did, according to the U.S. intelligence community. A clear threat to flag and country.

Trump questioned the patriotism of the protesting athletes. How is it patriotic for him and his private-jet-obsessed — and now former — health and human services secretary to take away health insurance from millions of Americans, as would have happened with their support for proposals to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act? What a display of national devotion.

Protect flag and country? By insulting, goading and threatening foreign leaders and international institutions around the globe?

We all sing with gusto: “Land of the free and home of the brave.” But watch as the president’s eyes glaze over at talk of injustice. Watch them light up at any chance to exploit racial and social divisions for political gain.

“ With liberty and justice for all.” Now, achieving that American ideal is worth fighting — and standing up — for. 

Every day I think this orange fuckface can't do anything stupider than the day before. Every day I'm proven wrong. WTF, someone take his phone away, wait, no just take him away, far, far, far away.

Just a reminder that SNL's new season premieres tonight:

Did y'all see that Trump finally broke Lin-Manuel Miranda's unbridled optimism?

Spoiler

This was his per-usual "I'm getting off twitter for the night" post:

mAjY6lO.jpg

This was this morning

m83YTGl.jpg
EZ1nxTk.jpg
WUxK3Nm.jpg

1 hour ago, applejack said:

Did y'all see that Trump finally broke Lin-Manuel Miranda's unbridled optimism?

Who even knew that was fucking POSSIBLE?

56 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Who even knew that was fucking POSSIBLE?

I've been waiting for Trump to go after him all day, to be quite honest. 

And the small part of my brain that will sometimes think about conspiracy theories is sitting here going "What if all this time-wasting and shit-throwing is Trump's retaliation to the "Pence-at-Hamilton" shit from months ago." :/ I know it's NOT, but you can't help but go there sometimes, especially these times. 

15 hours ago, Destiny said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he truly doesn't understand how bad it it is Puerto Rico. He doesn't read stuff that doesn't have his name and this is a place with people who didn't vote for him, so he has no incentive to look into what happened there. I'm sure in his warped mind he thought he could try and tell them that criticism of him was "fake news" without realizing that none of them are watching the news or reading his tweets because they are out looking for food and water without any power. 

Rufus help us he is such an idiot. 

Watching "Meet the Press" (never thought that would be in my must watch tv...), and I can't escape the image/thought of the Mayor of Weaselton (yes a Frozen reference) out of my mind with this treasury secretary.....love Chuck Todd for calling him out.....

New phrase to drop into conversation, "orange Kool aide drinkers. " Seriously the racism this orange freak endorses.......may it cost him and the Republican party dearly ......

I suspect that he cannot conceive of being without power. Really thinks that's an impossibility. Because he doesn't understand how electricity works. 

My feeling about the last week or so is that the handlers have let this all happen, maybe even fed him chum to keep him off of the North Korea situation. There may be real fear that he was about to tweet us into a nuclear war. So just distract him by letting him loose on old slights, those who won't support him and, oh, a political race! He loves those!

Michael Che called him a bitch and a cheap cracker on SNL. :laughing-rolling:

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived