IGNORED

Trump 24: Fiddling, er, Tweeting While Rome Burns

Destiny

Continued from here:

Sorry this one is a bit late, I've been distracted by Puerto Rico, and not sleeping much. 

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great title, @Destiny. I hope you hear from your BFF soon. I've been keeping my fingers crossed.

A good one from Chris Cilizza: "The dark racial sentiment in Trump's NBA and NFL criticism'

Spoiler

Washington (CNN)In the last 24 hours, President Donald Trump has criticized NFL players who refuse to stand for the national anthem and NBA superstar Steph Curry for expressing ambivalence about whether or not to attend the traditional White House celebration for champions in professional sports.

On Friday night in Alabama, Trump condemned football players who either sit or protest in some other way during the national anthem -- and chastised the NFL owners for not coming down harder on them.

"Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. He is fired. He's fired!" Trump said to considerable applause from the overwhelmingly white crowd. "Total disrespect of our heritage, a total disrespect of everything that we stand for. Everything that we stand for."

Then, on Saturday morning, Trump tweeted this about Curry: "Going to the White House is considered a great honor for a championship team. Stephen Curry is hesitating, therefore invitation is withdrawn!"

He followed it up with two more tweets -- both focused, again, on the NFL. "If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL, or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU'RE FIRED. Find something else to do!"

On one level, this is classic Trump. He feels as though he is being disrespected -- whether by NFL players not standing for the national anthem or by Curry saying if it was up to him, the Golden State Warriors would not visit the White House. (The Warriors, in a statement Saturday afternoon, said they would come to Washington and do events to promote diversity and inclusiveness rather than meet with Trump.)

They hit him, so he hit back.

But, there's something far more pernicious here. Both the NFL and the NBA are sports in which the vast majority of the players are black and the vast majority of owners are white. In the NFL, there are 0 black owners of the 32 teams. In the NBA, Michael Jordan is the lone black owner of a team.

Consider that in the context of what Trump said both Friday night and Saturday.

In Alabama, Trump called the players who refuse to stand for the anthem "sons of bitches" and insisted that any owner worth his or her salt should fire them immediately.

That got a lot of attention -- and rightly so. But it's what Trump said next that's really telling. "Total disrespect of our heritage, a total disrespect of everything that we stand for," he said --- adding for emphasis: "Everything that we stand for."

Notice the use of "our heritage" and "we" in those two sentences above.

But wait, there's more. In both his Curry tweet and his two NFL tweets, Trump expressed frustration that these lucky athletes felt the need to be ungrateful.

Trump noted the "great honor" of going to the White House and the "privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL." You should just be thankful for what you have and not be making any trouble, Trump is telling these players.

Here's the thing: Even if we lived in a color-blind society, that would be a dangerous sentiment. After all, freedom of expression is right there in the First Amendment. And our brave soldiers didn't fight and die so that everyone stood during the national anthem. They fought so people could have the right to make a choice about whether or not they wanted to stand. That's the whole damn point of the First Amendment.

The thing is: We don't live in a color-blind society. Slavery sits at the founding roots of America. The goal of racial equality remains a goal, not an achievement. To pretend otherwise is to willfully blind yourself to hundreds years of history.

Even more context darkens the picture for Trump. He played at racially coded language throughout his presidential campaign. He also displayed a stunningly simplistic view of the black community.

"You're living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs, 58% of your youth is unemployed -- what the hell do you have to lose?" Trump said of African-Americans in a speech to a largely white audience in Michigan during the campaign. When NBA star Dwyane Wade's cousin was shot in Chicago, Trump tweeted: "Dwayne Wade's cousin was just shot and killed walking her baby in Chicago. Just what I have been saying. African-Americans will VOTE TRUMP!"" He took an inordinate amount of time to condemn former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke. And so on.

As President, Trump has done little too ease concerns about his racial views -- and, in fact, has heightened them. His handling of the Charlottesville, Virginia, protests -- in which white supremacists and neo-Nazis marched in protest of the removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee -- was particularly alarming.

Even as the protests turned violent -- one woman was killed -- Trump claimed that there were violent factions "on many sides" to be blamed. Days later, he doubled down on that false premise; "I watched those very closely, much more closely than you people watched it," Trump said. "And you have -- you had a group on one side that was bad, and you had a group on the other side that was also very violent, and nobody wants to say that, but I'll say it right now."

Although his administration tried desperately to move on from his remarks, it was made clear recently that Trump meant exactly what he said. The day after meeting at the White House with South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott -- the lone black Republican in the Senate -- Trump was quick to note that he had been right in his initial comments after Charlottesville.

"I think especially in light of the advent of Antifa, if you look at what's going on there, you have some pretty bad dudes on the other side also, and essentially that's what I said," Trump told reporters.

And now, this.

I've long believed that Trump is simply saying whatever comes to mind, that there is no broader strategy to his comments. But it's impossible to conclude that after Charlottesville, Trump is totally ignorant of the racial context in which his remarks on the NFL and NBA land. No one is that oblivious.

When, given all the water under the bridge -- both in terms of our country's history and the more narrow history of Trump's campaign -- you make comments about how the athletes in predominantly black pro sports leagues should just be happy with what they have and not complain, you aren't doing it by accident. You really believe it.

Play football or basketball so we can be entertained, Trump seems to be telling these athletes. No one wants to hear your lack of gratitude for what you've been given.

There's so many things wrong with that view.

First of all, no one gave these players anything. They worked for it.

Second, just because you are a professional athlete doesn't mean you don't get to be a citizen, too. We don't tell accountants, for example, that they can't express their opinions on politics and the culture more broadly, right? So why should we be in the business of telling professional athletes? And would Trump feel the same way if the majority of those protesting the anthem were white?

Trump defenders will note that Trump didn't name names -- other than Curry -- when he blasted professional athletes. That "we" are adding color to it, not him.

But that doesn't fly. As I noted above, both the NFL and NBA are majority black. And those refusing to stand during the national anthem are, with one exception, also all black.

Trump knows this. He is an avid consumer of TV and culture. Which means that he is purposely playing at and with racial animus here. That is a dark thing to do as the leader of the United States. And something he deserves to be condemned for.

He is the most embarrassing world "leader" we have ever had. I keep wanting to wake from this nightmare only to find it's reality after all.

A couple of tweets about the presidunce's attacks on atheletes.

In conclusion, I would say: "Diversion tactic completed".

Hardly anyone is talking about the Russian hacking of 21 states anymore. 

Ya know, I used to call Namibia "Nambia"......

WHEN I WAS 10. Omg, Trump needs to go away. Now. I'm hungry for impeachment. :peach: :peach::peach::tw_peach:

9 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Fuck this orange shithole who is a white supermacist.

Say it everyday, girlfriend!

I'm adding this: Anyone who still supports this disgusting lunatic, you are persona non grata to me. I will not sink to your level by insulting you directly or specifically in public or on social media, but given the choice, I will not engage you or tolerate you in my presence.

If there is an option of not needing products made by companies who support this cretin, I will pass on these products. If there is an option to choose a company that does not support him when I must purchase necessities, I will happily choose that company. I will not verbally or financially support companies that support Trump.

This NBA/NFL situation has brought to the forefront how dangerously close this man is to Hitler in his beliefs. We have to confront this, he is essentially saying "If I summon you, you better come, I will define what being an American is, and if you don't do what I say, I will attempt to destroy you." There is nothing presidential in this behavior.

I don't like football and don't follow it.  Hell I wouldn't recognize any these men from Adam. I support them 100% though. Quiet and strong protest which hurts nobody but gets the point across.

Defend the KKK who run over people on the street, but attack a man who crime is to kneel.  Remember the Olympics last year?  I do.  I remember many white American players who didn't put their hands on their hearts or sing the anthem.  Where was the outrage? 

Fuck face's statements about the NFL generated this backlash

The NFL and NFLPA showed support for players and players' rights following remarks from President Donald Trump, who while speaking at a political rally on Friday, said NFL fans should boycott games and team owners should fire players who fail to stand for the national anthem prior to games.

"The NFL and our players are at our best when we help create a sense of unity in our country and our culture," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement released Saturday morning. "There is no better example than the amazing response from our clubs and players to the terrible natural disasters we've experienced over the last month. Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities."

NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith released this statement Saturday morning:

"The peaceful demonstrations by some of our players have generated a wide array of responses. Those opinions are protected speech and freedom that has been paid for by the sacrifice of men and women throughout history. This expression of speech has generated thoughtful discussion in our locker rooms and in board rooms.

My team didn't take a knee BUT I'm not really upset about it just because I know how many of the players do a lot of work in the city to strengthen relations with the police. I just hope that others who did have done or are beginning to do work to help with the injustice/ a big eff you to fuckface.

Trump tweeted that the Pittsburgh Penguins, who won the Stanley Cup *, would be visiting the White House.  Wouldn't it be ironic if they decided not to go??? 

*Stanley Cup --> ice hockey championship, for all the non-American FJers

Trump predicts Republicans will ‘eventually’ win on health care but says his primary focus is on taxes

He said The Affordable Healthcare Act would be over turned on 'day one'. He keeps rewriting his own revisionist dialogue. Kind of like going for 'Mexico will pay for the wall' to 'Mexico will pay us back for the wall' to 'Mexico will eventually pay for the wall'. Now it is going to be a see through wall. Errr that is either a fence or maybe hell it is going to be made of plexiglass.  Sigh.

Now of course his number one thing is going to be a tax reform for the middle class  huge tax cuts for the wealthy.  If  that falls apart, he will change the narrative as well.

Charlottesville, police shootings, travel ban, Sessions, Bannon I'm really getting outrage fatigue. Maybe that is their goal. Keep hitting us and we will just give up.

MORRISTOWN, N.J. — President Trump on Sunday left open the possibility that the latest Republican effort to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act might not be successful despite likely plans to vote on the GOP proposal this week.

“Eventually we’ll win, whether it’s now or later,” Trump said as he prepared to board Air Force One to return to Washington after spending the weekend at his golf resort in Bedminster, N.J.

Trump noted also that his first priority has always been on overhauling the tax code, and he told reporters that the tax plan he and lawmakers will propose has been “totally finalized.”

“My primary focus, I must tell you — and has been from the beginning as you can imagine — is taxes,” Trump continued. “I believe we will be successful in the largest tax cut in our country’s history.

Trump's comments come at a moment of uncertainty for the Republican health-care bill. Republicans still do not appear to have enough votes for the measure to pass, and Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) indicated Sunday that she was unlikely to vote in favor of it. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) announced Friday that he would not vote in favor. And the proposal has faced opposition from Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who says it does not do enough to repeal and replace Obamacare.

Two other Republican senators, Ted Cruz (Tex.) and Mike Lee (Utah), indicated that they also may not support the bill.

Trump lamented that Republicans still have reservations even though the bill “happens to be particularly good” for their states.

“I’ve been watching for seven years as the Republicans have been saying repeal and replace,” he said.

On taxes, Trump said he “hoped” any proposal will include a 15 percent corporate tax rate and an individual tax rate of 10 to 12 percent.

“This is a plan for the middle class and for companies so they can bring back jobs,” he said.

What's his focus on taxes? More ways to make sure the middle class disappears? Just going to go out on a limb here, but I'm sure it won't help me.  I'm pretty sure I'll never see reduced taxes  get screwed by his tax plan. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will help him and his cronies.

I'll add this.  We hear about and argue over tax cuts for the middle class, corporations, the wealthy but when does anybody talk about tax cuts for the poor? When does the white middle class, of which I suppose I am, call for that?

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I can't quote the article here because there are pictures and tweets galore, but it's worth a read, if you need a laugh. "The Pizza Served At Trump Tower Appears Online--And For All The Wrong Reasons"

That's probably the way he likes his pizza, so everyone must have pizza that same way.

And it looks like fuck face violated Federal law with his NFL related tweets;

When Donald Trump tweeted for a boycott of the NFL if team owners didn’t fire players for protesting racism, Trump may have broken a law that is punishable by a fine, jail time or both – and Trump may have further disqualified himself from serving in public office.

If one accepts that Trump as the Republican Party’s leader has repeatedly defended racists, while repeatedly condemning opponents of racism, then there is a basis to conclude that Trump’s tweet was partisan.

Moreover, given Trump’s history, one can infer from his tweet that he is calling on his supporters to boycott the NFL if they don’t fire football players who peacefully protest racism. That would qualify as a partisan activity, wouldn’t it?

Usually, I post Seth Abramson's twitter-threads in the Russian thread. This powerful one belongs here. It's not as lenghty as his usual ones, but it packs a punch.

In the comments, someone is calling for a general strike on November 8. Seems like a good idea.

This seems like an innocuous account of someone who protested against the presidunce. But it is actually scary, frightening and definitely alarming.

I was detained for protesting Trump. Here’s what the Secret Service asked me.

I haven't bolded anything, as I would have ended up bolding the whole article.

Spoiler

Like many events that end up with a person in handcuffs, my story begins in a bar. I was in Atlanta earlier this month for Netroots Nation, the annual meeting of progressive organizers and writers, when I overheard friends discussing how to resist President Trump’s first visit to Trump Tower. I jumped into the conversation: “Well, you call me, of course.” Twenty minutes later, we had a rough plan that we would unfurl a banner inside Trump Tower the following week. I have been to many protests since the inauguration, and I was proud to do my part.

Together with Ultraviolet and the Working Families Party, we commissioned a painted banner that simply read “Women Resist White Supremacy.” Through sheer luck, not only would Trump be in Trump Tower during my act of resistance, but he would be giving a news conference about 3:30 p.m. I knew from my previous work as a campaign advancer that the Secret Service would begin sweeps to clear the space about an hour before he spoke, so the best possible time for the action was 2 p.m.

Unlike previous presidents, Trump’s home is in a public space. You don’t have to sneak into Trump Tower. You enter via an atrium next to a Nike store. Then you pass through airport-style security run by the Secret Service. I wore my banner as a slip of sorts under my flowy dress. It was made of fabric, so it didn’t set off the metal detector.

Like every good political operative — I worked for Sen. Bernie Sanders’s (I-Vt.) 2016 campaign and then the MoveOn super PAC supporting Hillary Clinton’s campaign — I run on coffee. Conveniently, the Starbucks inside Trump Tower is located on the second floor and overlooks an atrium — exactly where I’d want to hang the banner. I sipped a flat white and waited for the right moment, when uniformed NYPD wouldn’t be nearby. Then I unfurled the banner. A security officer grabbed it almost immediately. I ended up on the ground.

Since Starbucks is a public place and I was a paying guest, I knew I hadn’t violated any laws. At worst, I could be banned from the building. I expected from past protest actions that I’d be given a warning and a request to leave. I clearly and politely explained to the NYPD officers who detained me that the protest was done and I was heading out.

They had other ideas.

A detective grabbed my wrist and cuffed me. A gaggle of officers from multiple law enforcement agencies escorted me to a room near the atrium. A few chairs had Trump campaign materials plastered on them. Inside the room with me were more than 10 officers from the NYPD and the Secret Service.

Then the questions began, and they were bananas. A young woman from the Secret Service began the questioning; male NYPD officers tagged in and out. They never asked me whether I understood my rights, and I wasn’t actually sure at that moment what rights, if any, I had. I was focused on not getting put in a car and being whisked away.

It was clear right away that these officials wouldn’t see me the way I see myself: as a reasonably responsible, skilled nonviolent political operative who works on a mix of electoral and issues campaigns. To them, I was clearly a threat to national security. It felt like an interrogation on “Homeland.” Here are my favorite parts of the conversation, as I remember them.

NYPD: “Why would you come to the president’s home to do this?”

Me: “It was wrong for the president to support white supremacy.”

NYPD: “Don’t you respect the president?”

Me: “I don’t respect people who align with Nazis.”

Secret Service: “Do you have negative feelings toward the president?”

Me: “Yes.”

Secret Service: “Can you elaborate?”

Me: “He should be impeached and should not be president.”

They were concerned with who bought my train ticket, once they saw the receipt on my phone. The NYPD officers didn’t seem to believe me that some organizations work for justice and organize these legal protests. Each time they touched my phone, I said I don’t consent to the search of my phone. (They held my phone during the interview, and I can only hope they didn’t poke around it — alhough they wouldn’t have found much to interest them, unless they like Bernie GIFs.)

Me: “Yes.”

Secret Service: “How many times?”

Me: “Many. I was a volunteer holiday tour guide for the White House Visitors Center.”

Secret Service, eyes wide: “When was the last time you were there?”

Me: “December.” I explained that I probably wouldn’t be invited back until we have a new president.

The officers ran through a raft of predictable questions about firearms. (I don’t own any, and they seemed puzzled by my commitment to nonviolence as a philosophy.) They asked whether I wanted to hurt the president or anyone in his family. Obviously not. Then came the mental health questions.

ecret Service: “Do you have any mental health disorders?”

Me: “No.”

Secret Service: “Have you ever tried to commit suicide?”

Secret Service: “Have you ever had suicidal thoughts?”

I was trying very hard not to roll my eyes at the repeated questions when an NYPD detective suggested my protest could be charged as a felony. In the next second, the Secret Service agents asked me to sign Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act waivers so they could gather all my medical records. My mind was still focused on the f-word: felony. But I didn’t want to sign the waivers.

I meekly asked whether I should talk to a lawyer. I was told it was my prerogative but also that it might mean I’d be held longer. Being in a room with that many enforcement agents hurt my ability to reason dispassionately, and I was now looking at a criminal record from a basic, even banal, nonviolent protest. I signed the forms.

Trump was about to start his now-famous news conference, and the Secret Service needed to resume patrols. They let me go with just a ban from the building.

When you blinked, America became a banana republic. :pb_sad:

Since there is such an uproar about respecting the flag, this dude decided to look up just exactly what the official American Flag Code states. You'll be surprised. Believe me.

More from Twitler: "Trump praises fans who booed NFL players taking a knee"

Spoiler

President Trump on Monday praised football fans who booed NFL players taking a knee during the national anthem on Sunday, as he continued for a fourth day his campaign to pressure team owners on the issue.

“These are fans who demand respect for our Flag!” Trump said in a series of morning tweets, also asserting that only a “small percentage” of players knelt.

... <tweets from the twit>

The president went on to praise NASCAR supporters and fans, saying they were with him, and denied that his stance has anything to do with race.

“It is about respect for our Country, Flag and National Anthem. NFL must respect this!” Trump said in another tweet.
...<more tweets>

His latest comments on this subject followed a remarkable Sunday during which players at games across the country locked arms, knelt and stayed in the locker room during anthem in a show of solidarity against Trump’s broadside on the issue. Several team owners also participated.

At a political rally in Alabama on Friday, Trump demanded that NFL owners “fire or suspend” players who kneel during the national anthem, using a profane term to describe players who do. He has also called for fans to boycott games if the form of protest continues.

In the first of his Monday tweets, Trump referenced the stance of several owners at a NASCAR event held in New Hampshire. They made clear that drivers and others could be fired if they don’t stand during the national anthem.

“So proud of NASCAR and its supporters and fans,” Trump said on Twitter. “They won't put up with disrespecting our Country or our Flag — they said it loud and clear!”

...<still more tweets>

In another tweet on Monday morning, Trump, who spent the weekend at his private golf club in New Jersey, referenced another issue facing him in Washington.

He wrote: “The White House never looked more beautiful than it did returning last night. Important meetings taking place today. Big tax cuts & reform.”

I wish his phone would fall in the toilet.

5 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

More from Twitler: "Trump praises fans who booed NFL players taking a knee"

Reveal hidden contents

President Trump on Monday praised football fans who booed NFL players taking a knee during the national anthem on Sunday, as he continued for a fourth day his campaign to pressure team owners on the issue.

“These are fans who demand respect for our Flag!” Trump said in a series of morning tweets, also asserting that only a “small percentage” of players knelt.

... <tweets from the twit>

The president went on to praise NASCAR supporters and fans, saying they were with him, and denied that his stance has anything to do with race.

“It is about respect for our Country, Flag and National Anthem. NFL must respect this!” Trump said in another tweet.
...<more tweets>

His latest comments on this subject followed a remarkable Sunday during which players at games across the country locked arms, knelt and stayed in the locker room during anthem in a show of solidarity against Trump’s broadside on the issue. Several team owners also participated.

At a political rally in Alabama on Friday, Trump demanded that NFL owners “fire or suspend” players who kneel during the national anthem, using a profane term to describe players who do. He has also called for fans to boycott games if the form of protest continues.

In the first of his Monday tweets, Trump referenced the stance of several owners at a NASCAR event held in New Hampshire. They made clear that drivers and others could be fired if they don’t stand during the national anthem.

“So proud of NASCAR and its supporters and fans,” Trump said on Twitter. “They won't put up with disrespecting our Country or our Flag — they said it loud and clear!”

...<still more tweets>

In another tweet on Monday morning, Trump, who spent the weekend at his private golf club in New Jersey, referenced another issue facing him in Washington.

He wrote: “The White House never looked more beautiful than it did returning last night. Important meetings taking place today. Big tax cuts & reform.”

I wish his phone would fall in the toilet.

Unfortunately the toilet would spit it out and say hey don't dump garbage down here. 

Even if it did go down the drain he'd probably get one of his enablers advisors to get him a new one where he could tweet to that dried up lump of shit that acts as his heart's content. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived