IGNORED

Here’s why right-wing Christians think they are America’s most persecuted

47of74

On 23/09/2017 at 11:04 PM, Fun Undies said:

However here's the difference of religious persecution vs what they're experiencing  (in case any fundies read this - I'll sum it up quick) . . .

CHRISTIANS: "I believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ, and try to live my life by his testament and words."

SOMEONE: "You can go suck balls."

CHRISTIANS: "I'm being persecuted for my religious beliefs!"

That's not even really religious persecution though.  Religious persecution is "We confiscate your building" or "Your pastor goes to jail for a few years" or "You're not allowed to have any job".

On the subject of moral objections to anything: the reasoning "I can't do a thing because it's morally wrong" only works in a world where morals are essentially universal.  If morals can be individual and arbitrary and can trump the law, then the law means nothing.  If morals are to be something that has any weight, they can't be subjective.  If you have your own morals which say 'racism is okay', well those 'morals' are invalid with no moral weight.  Saying you have a personal belief that racism is right for you cannot actually make it right for you.  Wrong is wrong.  Sure you may have a right to express that opinion, but that doesn't make it valid or good.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good perspective on protest, anthems, and why everyone is so uncomfortable, by Charles Pierce, an excellent columnist:

The inclusion of a national anthem—any national anthem—in a sporting event necessarily politicizes that event. Historically, this is best demonstrated by protests at the Olympic Games. Everyone remembers Tommie Smith and John Carlos in Mexico City in 1968. But few remember Czechoslovakian gymnast Vera Caslavska, who bowed her head and looked away from the Soviet flag while sharing the top spot on the medal podium with the U.S.S.R.'s Larisa Petrik at the same Games, only two months after Soviet tanks crushed the Prague Spring revolt of 1968. When Caslavska got home, she was investigated by the new government and forbidden to travel or compete for several years.

I'm old enough to remember the 1968 Mexico City Olympics with Smith & Carlos raising their clenched fists. 

13 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

@Beermeet, there were many non-blacks marching for civil rights back in the sixties, including Bernie Sanders. Lots of Catholic religious too. Often, the non-blacks were more villified than blacks for participating in civil rights activities, hence the reprehensible term "ni*@er lover". 

Dang, I haven't heard that one in while!  Been called it few times too in HS and college.  I would reply "yep, I'm a lover not a hater."   I guess my point was I see more people sticking up for one another, Bernie has always been awesome.  

@hoipolloi Was alive for Mexico City but not old enough to have seen or remember.  I do remember 72.   

And lately I have had flashes back to my school years and the films/videos we were shown (during the cold war) with stuff from the USSR and all the little girls with the giant bows in their ponytails and the 'patriotism' and such those kids showed and have been mentally comparing it to the blind following in this country of late (and not until I typed it in this window to post did the giant bow bit hit me when thinking of fundies)

According to this article the Supreme Court will be looking at if bakeries can discriminate against gay couple this term.

http://fortune.com/2017/10/02/supreme-court-business-cases/

It has implications for businesses of all sorts whose owners could conceivably invoke their religious beliefs to deny gay people a wide variety of services. As The Economist notes, "If the court finds for [the baker] Mr Phillips, calligraphers, florists, photographers and tailors who reject gay marriage may earn a licence to discriminate as well."

Where does is stop? If businesses can use their religion to discriminate against gay people, why can't they use their religion to discriminate against other groups? 

Archived