IGNORED

180: If you support abortion access, you're like Hitler

Burris

Guest Anonymous

I watched the whole thing last night as I was falling asleep.

I noticed the same thing others have pointed out -- that the supposedly dramatic reversals of opinion involved people who seemed pretty ambivalent about their opinion in the first place, and who had not thought deeply about the issues before. I doubt their supposedly new-found anti-choice convictions are particularly solid.

I also got the distinct impression that a lot of these people didn't really know how to deal with an impromptu debate so they just went along with whatever Ray Comfort wanted to hear. They said the magic words so that Ray Comfort would go away but they didn't seem actually convinced. In particular, the woman who had had an abortion didn't seem particularly repentant even when she was agreeing with Ray in the end. She was smiling and the whole vibe was, "Yeah, whatever, I agree with you."

Lastly, I wouldn't put it past Ray to have some plants in the group. In particular, I found the neo-Nazi with the Mohawk hard to believe. In the beginning he is saying that the Bible is a lie invented by Jews to control people. Then he undergoes Ray's "good person" test and he's all sweet and cuddlly and saying, "Oh, yeah, I'll definitely go home and read my Bible now."

According to Ray Comfort 'Hitler hated Christianity'

Wasn't Hitler a Roman Catholic? and didn't he had written on the belt of his soldiers 'God's with us' or am I missing something?

Guest Anonymous
According to Ray Comfort 'Hitler hated Christianity'

Wasn't Hitler a Roman Catholic? and didn't he had written on the belt of his soldiers 'God's with us' or am I missing something?

Hitler was brought up as a Roman Catholic. However, he turned against Catholicism, and all other brands of Christianity as he got older. He and a number of other Nazi officials practiced a form of pseudo-paganism which preached that abandoning the old gods for Christianity had made weaklings out of the German people.

For "Aryan" women only.

Google "Lebensborn homes" sometimes if you want to get an idea of what they were trying to do.

Yes, I'd heard and read about the Lebensborn programs; "Have a baby for Der Fuerer.." Yeesh!

It really annoys me when people bring Hitler into an arguement. If that's all you (general) have, then you're not very good at making your point.

Especially this argument, considering Hitler punished "Aryan" types for having abortions. In fact, he was kinda quiverfull about the whole thing. He gave out medals to women who had boatloads of kids, for pity's sake!

...just like someone else said above me. *blush*

Oh my. Guess who is jumping on the Hitler bandwagon? Just when you think Kelly @ GC couldn't get any more annoying, she pulls this out of her back door parts:

http://www.generationcedar.com/main/201 ... lions.html

Jessica is doing her part to try to be a voice for the millions of people being slaughtered each day in the ironically twisted name of “women’s rightsâ€; to defend that basic, constitutional right that every human is entitled to. Just as we would rise up against a dictator like Hitler who believed he had a right to destroy life based on his perceived value of that life, so should we–regardless of race, religion or political view–rise up against the atrocities taking place around us silently.

I just don't understand these people. Who do they think is going to take care of these unwanted womb-fruits? Just throw them on their pile of 24 kids and counting, is that it? Do they really think that outlawing abortion ENDS abortion? Do they want women who have abortions to be imprisoned for murder? I just can't. AND STOP COMPARING IT TO HITLER!

I did love this uber confused response - because saving the panthers means that no one saves the BAAAAAAAYBIES! LOL.

Amen!! and…I really do like animals..but when we value the life of an animal..endagered or whatever..more then we do a person..it makes my heart sick.We live in Florida and their is so much hype over saving the panther and the money spent to save them..it makes me sick because of the way abortion is just so readily accepted! My husband and I went to a wedding on the other coast last month and passed a HUGE Sanctuary devoted to saving Panthers and all I could do was cry over the fact that babies..you know..PEOPLE..old and young are so more important!! okay..off my soapbox…for now..

Um..what?

This "You are like Hitler if..." is an extremely annoying tactic in a discussion that doesn't work at all.

Because you are like Hitler if ...

...you like sheepdogs

...dislike lipstick

....are a vegetarian

....have a live-in girlfriend that you hide from the public eye

:doh:

Starting a war, killing whole populations, installing dictatorships...I hope these things are considered evils in themselves, not "because Hitler did it". *argh

I agree it annoying tactic. I have seen other pro-life people use Hitler in their arugments. Ray isn't the first. On "you are like Hitler list" I would add if you are a painter to the list.

Oh my. Guess who is jumping on the Hitler bandwagon? Just when you think Kelly @ GC couldn't get any more annoying, she pulls this out of her back door parts:

http://www.generationcedar.com/main/201 ... lions.html

I noticed that too. What bothers me most of all is that Kelly seems to give a damn about the starving children which are already here on this earth... Instead she complains about fetuses which could have been children. Fuck you, Kelly. Fuck you very much.

This "You are like Hitler if..." is an extremely annoying tactic in a discussion that doesn't work at all.

Because you are like Hitler if ...

...you like sheepdogs

...dislike lipstick

....are a vegetarian

....have a live-in girlfriend that you hide from the public eye

TVTropes calls this the "Hitler Ate Sugar" fallacy. (It's named after the moment on Daria when some children's she's babysitting make this statement in order to prove that sugar is bad.) Mass murder isn't bad because Hitler did it. Hitler is bad because he committed mass murder.

If Ray Comfort is going to start off his anti-abortion movie by saying "I am Jewish" and frame his whole argument in terms of the worst thing to ever happen to the Jews, he might want to do a bit of research on the Jewish view of abortion. Specifically, that Jewish law doesn't consider a fetus to have the same legal status as a person, and therefore abortion isn't murder. (I think his head would explode if he found out the Jewish law that if a pregnancy is threatening a woman's life, physically or mentally, abortion is actually required.) If the actual people you are exploiting don't agree with your comparison, you fail.

I think that was a typo. The brain does most of its developing before 20 weeks. Important stuff happens beyond that point, but at 20 weeks the fetus has a for-the-most-part functioning brain.

eta: reflexes are a product of your parasympathetic nervous system which, if I recall correctly, is not directly controlled by your brain. Or am I remembering that wrong?

Yes, reflexes aren't controlled by your brain- they aren't necessarily parasympathetics though. (We just learned about this in one of my grad classes).

Archived