IGNORED

State Houses Thread

47of74

Watch him squirm.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 5

On 5/10/2023 at 2:33 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

Wow

Bit late to this but OK - start with the roads outside Florida lawmakers houses, outside their children's schools, and around their workplace.  

12 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Watch him squirm.

They need more like her - men and women standing up and saying it over, and over and over again until they get the idea that their political aspirations are doomed if the keep going. One woman is unfortunately too easy to dismiss as just a woke outlier, and besides, all the guys agree - right?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Bit late to this but OK - start with the roads outside Florida lawmakers houses, outside their children's schools, and around their workplace.  

The reality is that this WILL probably happen.  I have a relative who works for the state highway department and I've heard lots of stories about how lawmakers and friends of state lawmakers get roads and driveways paved first.  We can only hope that it holds true for Florida.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

You can’t make this stuff up.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this about how districts around Iowa are trying to retain teachers and other employees. 

Different schools can struggle with different obstacles when it comes to filling staff. Over the past several years, one thing almost all districts can relate to is keeping the teachers they already have.

University of Iowa Professor Mark McDermott says a teacher’s college experience could make the difference.

“Our philosophy is we want to try to keep teaching and preparing teachers in a way that not only are we getting them licensed, but we are hopefully preparing them in a way that they will be retained in the field,” said McDermott.

He also acknowledges that different schools can tend to have different incentives to retain teachers. Iowa City Community School District leaders say they pride themselves on being a ‘destination school district’.

It would really help if the Branch Trumpvidian GQP governments allowed teachers to teach instead of trying to impose their nazified agenda on teachers and schools.  Idiots like Ron deSatan and Covid Kim should not be surprised if teachers and other school employees say fuck this when it comes to GQP bullshit and leave the field altogehter. 

• Upvote 4

• 4 months later...

This asshole probably brags about being a Christian. 

• Disgust 3
  • WTF 4

Indiana legislature shots, “Hey, don’t forget about us; we’re as hateful as Texas, Florida, and Missouri.”

• Angry 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Thank You 4

What a nasty woman.

• Disgust 1
  • WTF 4

Good news!

• Upvote 7

Republican blatantly stating the truth.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 4

Wut?

• Angry 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 8

4 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Wut?

I thought "surely this is a quote out of context and this man cannot possibly be THAT clueless and cruel."  I could not imagine what that context could possibly be, but I've been caught out before viewing short clips without the full picture, so I went A-Googling.  And yeah - he is just that big a vile, entitled asshole.  In fact, he doubled down and stands by his stance when questioned.  Nobody could possibly be hungry in MN because nobody has told him that they, personally, don't have enough to eat. The legislation he objects to would provide free breakfast and lunch to all public school students.  I bet he identifies himself as a good Christian man, as well.  What a disgrace.  😠

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Wut?

That would be my angry reaction and imbeciles like this make me livid. I work as a substitute teacher and I run into hungry kids every day. I run into kids who are reliant on the school breakfast and lunches through no fault of their own. What does he expect a kindergartener to do? Go out and get a job? I know some of the parents in our district leave their children hungry because the parent is addicted, I know we have grandparents raising grandchildren; grandparents whose social security check and food stamps don't always stretch enough to leave the grandchildren they're raising with a full belly. I've seen hungry kids and how quickly they clean their tray in the cafeteria. Just because privileged Minnesota idiot doesn't run in the same circles I do does not mean that hunger doesn't exist. I'm guessing he probably goes to some prosperity Gospel kind of church which doesn't really attract the very hungry and many people who are hungry do their absolute best to hide it.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Why I wouldn't want to live in Florida, reason #8,332,101

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 6

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Why I wouldn't want to live in Florida, reason #8,332,101

DeSantis just vowed to veto that bill.  I love when they turn on each other.

• Upvote 6

The Iowa House is pretty much completely Nazified at this point

A new bill in the Iowa House of Representatives would make it a legal requirement for public school students and teachers in grades 1-12 to sing the national anthem.

The proposed bill passed the subcommittee in a 2-1 vote. The bill would mandate students to sing the anthem at least once a day and for social studies classes to teach about the meaning and history of the national anthem. Physically able students would need to “stand at attention” and “remove any headdress that is not being worn for religious purposes.”

Any teacher or student who chooses not to sing the anthem would be required to maintain a “respectful silence” and stand at attention.

If a teacher refused to lead the students in the singing of the national anthem, then the school would need to “select another suitable person to lead the teacher’s class in the singing of the national anthem.”

Fuck you, Iowa Republicans.  I sure as hell won't sing the National Anthem anymore. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1

Why am I not surprised?

image.png.274eab880f2a24b0cd9797933e1e9f4b.png

• Disgust 1
  • Thank You 4

14 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Why am I not surprised?

image.png.274eab880f2a24b0cd9797933e1e9f4b.png

I'm not surprised. Florida likes to hand out guns like Oprah used to hang out cars. Because freedom and right to life.

• Upvote 4

Next they’ll require said prayers include language praising their orange Jesus. 
image.png.557f785fef0c1bc63d5e570975e48404.png

• WTF 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Next they’ll require said prayers include language praising their orange Jesus. 
image.png.557f785fef0c1bc63d5e570975e48404.png

Not quite as bad as this tweet makes it sound.  It requires a minute of silence at the beginning of the school day, and personnel are not permitted to tell students what to do with that time. Parents are encouraged to talk to their kids about what to do with that moment.  Apparently KY law already permits a moment of silence - this law would require it.  I know the sponsor of the bill means it to have the kids pray, and it is overreach, but not as alarming as " requirement to pray in school."  It's also pretty unnecessary, and grandstanding by lawmakers.  Kids can already pray in school if they wish, without a mandated minute for it. 

• Thank You 6

Good news!

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

Iowa's Branch Trumpvidian legislature is at it again

A proposed bill would ban public displays of Satan worship in Iowa.

It stems from the display of a pagan idol that was put up late last year at the Statehouse in Des Moines.

The statue was brought to the Capitol by the Satanic Temple of Iowa under state rules allowing religious displays in the building during the holidays. The move drew strong criticism from state and national leaders, including Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds and Florida Gov. and presidential candidate Ron DeSantis, both Republicans.

On Dec. 14, the figure depicting the horned deity Baphomet was “destroyed beyond repair,” according to the group, and the man accused of destroying it has been charged with a hate crime.

• Upvote 4

Now the Iowa's BT legislature is denying press credentials to a journalist for a liberal media outlet

On Friday, a federal lawsuit was filed against the Iowa House of Representatives Chief Clerk after they allegedly denied press credentials for a political reporter repeatedly for arbitrary reasons.

According to the lawsuit, Laura Belin who runs the online political commentary site Bleeding Heartland and is the Statehouse reporter for KHOI Radio in Ames, has sought press credentials before every legislative session since January 2019. The lawsuit states that Belin has been denied credentials repeatedly, first for being “not media”, then for being “nontraditional” media” and most recently without any explanations.

“Laura Belin is undeniably a journalist by any meaningful definition of the word. She is a skilled political reporter who has earned a seat alongside her colleagues in the House press box,” said Institute for Free Speech Senior Attorney Charles “Chip” Miller.

The lawsuit claims the repeated denial by the Chief Clerk of the Iowa House infringes on her First and Fourteenth Amendment rights, saying that the vague criteria for press credentials violate her right to free speech and press, as well as due process.

• Upvote 4

You couldn't make this up:

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

The thought of Nashville not having cold beer seemed impossible to me, so I read more details of the bill.  The sponsor was injured by a drunk driver, so his idea is that by not selling refrigerated beer at gas stations, convenience stores, and grocery stores, people might not be as likely to start drinking in the parking lot and then drive drunk.  The bill went nowhere, of course. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 2