IGNORED

Today's vote about a tax reduction programme for companies: Please think of my country!

Smash!

Dear FJers

Please think of my small European country and wish the best for the vote today. Among others there's a national vote called "Corporate Tax Reform III". Actually it was meant to close the tax loopholes for European companies which the EU doesn't tolerate anymore. But instead our lovely parliament designed a huge tax reduction programme for companies! They created more tax loopholes, just different ones (my English is unfortunately too bad to explain it in detail). So the state will loose a big amount on money and will have to even more save costs... for education, schools, health care. And will have to raise taxes for people with normal income. You get the picture. The scandal is, they don't even mention this in the voters pamphlet. I can't even tell you how sickening this is.

Unfortunately there's a neck-on-neck race. Today morning is the last opportunity to vote and sometime during the day the results are available. I haven't been able to eat and I don't know how to get through the day. But I guess it's just like it was in the US: People think it won't get that bad... oh yes it will!

I would have loved to provide some sources, but unfortunately it's only in German (or French).

Thanks for reading my rant.

I'm sorry. :pb_sad: It seems this crap goes on everywhere.

Here in Texas, we have what are called propositions on our ballot, with a brief description of what the proposition is supposed to do. If you don't read about the propositions from objective sources before you go to vote, or believe that you can rely on advertising to thoroughly explain both sides of the argument, you can easily end up voting against an issue you normally support or vice versa, out of confusion or ignorance. 

After every election here, you run into folks who really didn't understand what proposition X or Y was all about, but someone on the TV, radio, or internet said it was good, so they voted for it. :doh:

Please let us know how the vote turned out for your country.

Good news: There was a big NO against the proposition :) I can't tell you how relieved I am. There is still some common sense among the people (sometimes I doubt it). But now the initiators of the proposition blame the campain for their defeat, it's just ridiculous considering what the proposition was!

For me it was a wake-up call. Even in our paradise country with (yet affordable) good healthcare and a social net, we have now a shitty parliament. Someone needs to tell them to work for us and not for a small elite of rich people :pb_evil:  So I'm looking forI opportunities to engage myself there.

@Smash! I think this may be an unlooked for, unexpected and very welcome side effect of The Orange Shitgibbon's election - voters in other countries horrified at what has happened in America, and not only examining more closely what they are voting for, but also engaging more in politics at ground level. Please FSM it is so!

Archived