IGNORED

Trump 9: RESIST!

Destiny

On that note: https://medium.com/@jakefuentes/the-immigration-ban-is-a-headfake-and-were-falling-for-it-b8910e78f0c5#.qs5r0ukre
It's rather hard to tell the difference between real incompetence and fake incompetence (or maybe someone using real incompetence), so I dunno.

I have had it up to here with the "you suckers are worried about A when you should be worried about B" posts, columns and memes. We are not all incapable of being concerned about more than one thing at a time. And nothing anyone is expressing concern about is invalid. And by tomorrow someone will be telling us that we are idiots for being concerned about B because C is their personal agenda. How about we let adults protest and resist as they see fit?

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

Yes I saw that, and indeed said patron saint hit the nail right on the goddamn head.  I see she didn't waste no time in shutting down one of the "shut up and sing" types who came on to her feed to attack her for attacking Orange Fornicate Face.

I tried to tweet back to "Mr. America" who was so brilliantly shut down by Ms. Rowling to remind him of the old saying, "never bring a peashooter to a gunfight," or something of that nature, but Mr. America has apparently gone into hiding! 

With all the crazy going on with the president, I wonder if this is one of the main reasons Melania chose to stay in New York and maybe plot her escape from her husband?

Resistance comes in many forms! Aparently someone bought the domain name 'alternative facts' and created a website, that redirects to an article by Psychology Today:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/alternative-facts-website-redirects-kellyanne-conway-donald-trump-sean-spicer-psychology-today-gas-a7554926.html

Psychology Today describes it as a “tactic in which a person or entity, in order to gain more power, makes a victim question their reality” and says it is a “common technique of abusers, dictators, narcissists and cult leaders”.

Fair warning before you click on the link though! It contains a rather large photo of der Trumpenführer and Conjob in which it looks like he's about to lick her hand.... :puke-right:

Anyone else feel that with each passing day, each firing of a top government official, each executive order, we get closer and closer to a full blown riot state or civil war type situation?

..OMG all of everything appears to be falling apart at the seams..

41 minutes ago, AuntK said:

I tried to tweet back to "Mr. America" who was so brilliantly shut down by Ms. Rowling to remind him of the old saying, "never bring a peashooter to a gunfight," or something of that nature, but Mr. America has apparently gone into hiding! 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I love this woman so much.

4 minutes ago, SpurgeonSquarepants said:

Anyone else feel that with each passing day, each firing of a top government official, each executive order, we get closer and closer to a full blown riot state or civil war type situation?

..OMG all of everything appears to be falling apart at the seams..

I just feel like democracy is eroding, no matter how many protests occur because Trump won't change what he's doing. He's too bull headed and stupid.

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

I have had it up to here with the "you suckers are worried about A when you should be worried about B" posts, columns and memes. We are not all incapable of being concerned about more than one thing at a time. And nothing anyone is expressing concern about is invalid. And by tomorrow someone will be telling us that we are idiots for being concerned about B because C is their personal agenda. How about we let adults protest and resist as they see fit?

I agree. It's difficult and overwhelming right now because Trump and his allies are doing one repulsive, illegal thing after another - but they're all things that are worthy of concern. And I don't see people ignoring any of it. People are writing, calling, emailing, faxing their senators and marching for a wide variety of topics all at once. 

Some information regarding trying to reach your elected rep. either Senate or House-the phone lines have been over run for the 10 time since "The Donald" has been sworn in, so try calling their local offices many Senators have more than one so try all of them. If that does not work email them and don't do it just once a day do it a couple times-flood their in- boxes, not only on the Refugees but on Steve Bannon sitting on National Security Council he needs extreme vetting he is more dangerous that the refugees. We need to protect our democracy.

Here is a great article about one of "The Donald's" leg jumper. Sean when are you going to learn the left loves this country just like the fools that watch or listen to you. I want to know who to send my receipts to?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sean-hannity-twitter-question_us_58903d4fe4b02772c4e9017b?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Senate Democrats boycott vote on two of Trumps cabinet picks: 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/senate-democrats-boycott_us_5890ae26e4b0c90eff001c3c?

Senate Democrats deployed a dramatic eleventh-hour maneuver to deny committee votes to two of President Donald Trump’s Cabinet picks Tuesday, arguing that those nominees had lied to them.

Senators on the Finance Committee were set to vote on Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.) to lead the Department of Health and Human Services and Steve Mnuchin to lead the Treasury Department. But on Tuesday morning, they simply didn’t show up for the votes, denying Republicans the quorum they needed to move forward to confirmation. At least one Democrat needs to be present for the vote to happen.

YES! This is the kind of action I want to see from the Democrats in the Senate. I'm so glad they're finally starting to stand up to the Republicans. 

And, predictably, the Republicans are responding like total hypocrites: 

With their plans to quickly confirm Trump’s nominees upended, Senate Republicans were outraged, suggesting even that they’d consider changing committee rules to eliminate the need for a minority member to be present.

“This is one of the most alarming things I’ve seen in my 40 years in the U.S. Senate,” Finance Committee Chair Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said in the hearing Tuesday. “There isn’t a fellow on the other side I do not care for. Normally they’re very honorable and decent people. That’s why it’s so shocking to me that they’re not here when we’ve given them every opportunity to be here. ... That’s not only ridiculous, it’s offensive.”

“I think they ought to stop posturing and acting like idiots,” he added. “Stop holding news conferences and come here and express yourself here and vote one way or the other.” 

No, Orrin, this is not one of the most socking things that's happened in the senate in 40 years. The most shocking thing I've witnessed was Republicans refusing to hold a confirmation hearing for Merrick Garland. So take your phony outrage and shove it where the sun don't shine. 

I hope every Democrat with a twitter or facebook page tweets and posts  a reminded of Merrick Garland to Orrin Hatch today.

Fucking hypocrite. 

Okay I don't get this whole thing about why artists/writers/actors etc should "stay out of politics" because "you only exist to entertain us."

Should factory workers only exist to work in factories and are therefore not allowed to talk about their political opinions?

I'm confused. 

I have a couple of questions.
How is Trump banning people from certain countries legal? Even if it doesn't go against the constitution, isn't it a violation of international human rights? Last year there was a huge debate between the European countries regarding which country had to take in how many refugees, and refusing to take in refugees was not an option under any circumstance, because that would violate all kinds of international human rights treaties. So how is it that Trump can just do this? (I mean, Obama was hindered every step of the way regardless of the content of the policies or decrees, and Trump goes dictator just like that. It makes no sense to me)

Additionally, aren't there other senators or ministers who have to approve decisions like this, precisely to prevent the possibility of a dictator taking over the country? And if not senators or ministers, isn't there separation of the juridical and legislative branches to prevent exactly this? (I'm sorry if my questions might come of as criticism, my questions are genuine. My knowledge of the functioning of the US government isn't perfect, and my guesses of how I think it works are mainly based on how most European governments function.)

As I understand it, if Trump were to be impeached, Pence would become president. Is there any way that this could be circumvented/prevented? Any way that would lead to new elections?

5 minutes ago, Marly said:

As I understand it, if Trump were to be impeached, Pence would become president. Is there any way that this could be circumvented/prevented? Any way that would lead to new elections?

We'd have to get back a House Majority in 2018, then impeach them both in 2019 and then Nancy Pelosi would be president in the interim, if she's still around. This is a Hail Mary, unfortunately. And if we did it too soon we'd make Paul Ryan president. 

13 minutes ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

Okay I don't get this whole thing about why artists/writers/actors etc should "stay out of politics" because "you only exist to entertain us."

Should factory workers only exist to work in factories and are therefore not allowed to talk about their political opinions?

I'm confused. 

Is the White House telling us that Trump didn't entertain us every week via our televisions?

(I've never seen an episode of The Apprentice, so no, he didn't entertain me)

3 minutes ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

We'd have to get back a House Majority in 2018, then impeach them both in 2019 and then Nancy Pelosi would be president in the interim, if she's still around. This is a Hail Mary, unfortunately. And if we did it too soon we'd make Paul Ryan president. 

Thanks for the answer!
So this means that the world is stuck with someone awful anyway, and at least for two years :( 
I dislike both Pence and Paul Ryan, and I don't think they'd make the world a better place. Ugh, this sucks.

I have a couple of questions.
How is Trump banning people from certain countries legal? Even if it doesn't go against the constitution, isn't it a violation of international human rights? Last year there was a huge debate between the European countries regarding which country had to take in how many refugees, and refusing to take in refugees was not an option under any circumstance, because that would violate all kinds of international human rights treaties. So how is it that Trump can just do this? (I mean, Obama was hindered every step of the way regardless of the content of the policies or decrees, and Trump goes dictator just like that. It makes no sense to me)

Additionally, aren't there other senators or ministers who have to approve decisions like this, precisely to prevent the possibility of a dictator taking over the country? And if not senators or ministers, isn't there separation of the juridical and legislative branches to prevent exactly this? (I'm sorry if my questions might come of as criticism, my questions are genuine. My knowledge of the functioning of the US government isn't perfect, and my guesses of how I think it works are mainly based on how most European governments function.)

The main checks on the executive are by Congress. Since they are the same party they are this far not doing it.

Pence would have to resign or be impeached prior to Trump to keep him out were Trump removed. The 25th Amendment provides for replacing a VP.

There is no way to have another election until 2020. The Constitution only allows presidential elections at set times.

20 minutes ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

I'm confused. 

Trump supporters are only saying that because most artists/writers/actors are Democrats. If they were Republicans, and speaking in support of Trump, they would be completely okay with them speaking out. 

2 hours ago, Howl said:

This is definitely beyond scary.  And what else is beyond scary is there is no experienced hand on the tiller at Sec. of State.   Remind me again,  how does Rex Tillerson fit in with all of this -- a man totally inexperienced in his new role and with Exxon's nose up Putin's.......

Screenshot 2017-01-31 at 8.16.22 AM.png

:clap: Fess up, how long have you been waiting to use that one? 

11 minutes ago, LeftCoastLurker said:

Devos  just cleared committee!

I instinctively reached for the downvote button when I read this. Hell. :(

13 minutes ago, LeftCoastLurker said:

Devos  just cleared committee!

That's horrifying, but there is still the full senate vote. So everyone keep calling your senators. Be relentless. 

29 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

The main checks on the executive are by Congress. Since they are the same party they are this far not doing it.

Pence would have to resign or be impeached prior to Trump to keep him out were Trump removed. The 25th Amendment provides for replacing a VP.

There is no way to have another election until 2020. The Constitution only allows presidential elections at set times.

And if Pence steps down or is impeached, Paul Ryan (Speaker of the House) becomes president.  It really is a no-win situation.

The disquieting truth and where things might be heading real soon...

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/donald-trump-supreme-court-steve-bannon-muslim-travel-ban-congress-senate-representatives-doctor-who-a7555626.html

If Trump and Bannon continue on this path, law enforcers will face a choice between obeying a judge or their President. If they side with the latter, horrendous civil unrest would follow. The integrity of American civil society would be in peril.

Trump has released a statement:

The White House said in a statement, “President Donald J. Trump is determined to protect the rights of all Americans, including the LGBTQ community. President Trump continues to be respectful and supportive of LGBTQ rights, just as he was throughout the election. The President is proud to have been the first ever GOP nominee to mention the LGBTQ community in his nomination acceptance speech, pledging then to protect the community from violence and oppression. The executive order signed in 2014, which protects employees from anti-LGBTQ workplace discrimination while working for federal contractors, will remain intact at the direction of President Donald J. Trump”

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/01/31/trump-caves-public-backlash-drops-lgbt-executive-order.html

This is a temporary reprieve. We all know how Pence and the nutters feel about the LGBTQ community.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived