IGNORED

United States Congress

Ali

Yeah, this is the way to speak to your constituents: "‘You, sir, shut up!’: Republican congressman shouts down a constituent at tense town hall"

A Republican congressman from Texas is caught in a firestorm after he told a constituent to “shut up.”

Rep. Joe Barton (R-Tex.) was speaking Saturday at a town hall event in Frost, a small town not far from Arlington, when he said he opposed federal legislation protecting women from violence, because it is a state issue. The crowd erupted over Barton’s remarks, and the moment was captured on video.

“Violence against women — that’s a national issue!” an attendee shouted. “That is an issue that impacts everyone, everywhere — not only in this country but everywhere.”

That comment spurred more loud reactions from the crowd, with one man in particular prompting this from the congressman:

“You, sir, shut up.”

The crowd responded with a combination of apparent anger and applause, with one attendee screaming: “What is that? You don’t tell anybody to shut up! You work for us!”

“I appreciate the interest and participation at every town hall meeting I host,” Barton said in a statement. “These are unscripted live meetings. Over the weekend in Frost, one gentlemen continued to speak over myself and many others who were seeking recognition in orderly fashion.

“I did, however, return to him for the last question of the meeting and allow him the opportunity to voice his concerns.”

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

Well this is interesting: 

Wow. So, let me get this straight: Elizabeth Warren is told to basically sit down and shut up because she dared to say something Bitch McConnell didn't like about another Senator, but McCain can say that another Senator is working for Putin? I mean, really? It could be true, since it seems that a scary number of Repubs are in Putin's pocket, but I'll bet Bitch didn't tell him to shut up.

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Barton's the guy who apologized to BP after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

10 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Barton's the guy who apologized to BP after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

What a piece of work.

Wow, I guess Ryan has taken a drink of reality tea: "Ryan: Health care plan must change to pass the House"

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan said Wednesday that his health-care proposal must change to pass the House, marking a significant retreat from his earlier position that the carefully crafted legislation would fail if altered.

Ryan acknowledged that changes would be made two days after an analysis issued by the Congressional Budget Office prompted a fresh round of criticism of his proposal. Among the report’s projections was that 14 million fewer Americans would be insured after one year under the Republican plan.

Speaking after a private meeting of GOP lawmakers, Ryan said leaders would “incorporate feedback” from the rank-and-file in response to the CBO findings. He did not repeat his previous comments calling support for the bill a “binary choice” for Republican lawmakers.

“Now that we have our score ... we can make some necessary improvements and refinements to the bill,” he said, referring to the CBO’s estimate of the impact on the number of those covered by health insurance and what the GOP proposal would cost.

Ryan did not detail what changes are under consideration to his plan.

I hope there are significant changes. As written, it sucks beyond belief.

I loved, loved, loved this opinion piece on Ryan: "And Jesus Said Unto Paul of Ryan ..." Here's a sample:

A woman who had been bleeding for 12 years came up behind Jesus and touched his clothes in hope of a cure. Jesus turned to her and said: “Fear not. Because of your faith, you are now healed.”

Then spoke Pious Paul of Ryan: “But teacher, is that wise? When you cure her, she learns dependency. Then the poor won’t take care of themselves, knowing that you’ll always bail them out! You must teach them personal responsibility!”

They were interrupted by 10 lepers who stood at a distance and shouted, “Jesus, have pity on us.”

“NO!” shouted Pious Paul. “Jesus! You don’t have time. We have a cocktail party fund-raiser in the temple. And don’t worry about them — they’ve already got health care access.”

Jesus turned to Pious Paul, puzzled.

“Why, they can pray for a cure,” Pious Paul explained. “I call that universal health care access.”

Jesus turned to Pious Paul on his left and said: “Be gone! For I was hungry and you gave me no food; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; and I was sick, and you did not help me.”

“But, Lord,” protested Pious Paul of Ryan, “when did I see you hungry or thirsty or sick and refuse to help you? I drop your name everywhere. And I’m pro-life!”

“Truly, I say to you,” Jesus responded, “as you did not help the homeless, the sick — as you did not help the least of these, you did not help me.”

The sad thing is: even though this is framed as satire, it seems to be true of Ryan and the rest of the chest-thumping uber-religious Repubs.

@GreyhoundFanIf Ryan is a true Christian, I'm a yellow spotted chimpanzee. He seems never to have read most of the scripture he espouses - only the bits that reinforce his world view (and usually misinterpreted then).

3 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

@GreyhoundFanIf Ryan is a true Christian, I'm a yellow spotted chimpanzee. He seems never to have read most of the scripture he espouses - only the bits that reinforce his world view (and usually misinterpreted then).

I agree. I don't know if you've heard the term RINO (Republican In Name Only). Well, he's a CINO (Christian In Name Only).

"This is what it’s like answering all those phone calls to Congress". The whole article is interesting, but here are two sections:

It’s not even noon, and I’ve already answered dozens of phone calls from angry constituents. A single mother demanded answers as to where her family could turn for health-care services when Republicans repeal the Affordable Care Act. An older gentleman had to take a breath as he used some choice words to describe House Speaker Paul D. Ryan’s proposals that could cut Medicare benefits. The resentment and anger are palpable. Seconds after I hang up, the phone rings again. And again. And again.

As a communications director for Rep. Gwen Moore (D-Wis.), answering constituent calls is not usually in my job description; in most offices on Capitol Hill, staff assistants and interns pick up. But with phones ringing off the hook since Donald Trump became the 45th president, the policy experts and I have been pitching in — and all of us have been on the receiving end of a nonstop barrage of indignation and frustration from constituents, many of whom who have never been in touch before.

So I have something to say to the hordes of furious callers who continue to bombard our office on a daily basis: Thank you.

Democratic and Republican congressional offices have been inundated with calls, letters, tweets, posts and visits from impassioned people upset and outraged by the president’s actions, Cabinet nominations and executive orders. Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer’s office reported an average of 1.5 million daily calls to the Senate in the first week of February alone. Phone lines are so gridlocked that lawmakers are nervously taking to social media to apologize that constituents can’t get through and reassure them that we hear them on Capitol Hill.

Before Trump’s inauguration, our Washington office received anywhere from 120 to 200 calls in a given week. Those numbers have more than doubled this year. With some callers, ire drips from their every word, especially in relation to Republican efforts to dismantle Obamacare. With others, it’s easy to recognize the regret and disappointment in their voices, as if they’re angry with themselves for somehow allowing such a man to assume the most powerful office in the world. We rarely receive phone calls backing Trump; our district has been a Democratic stronghold for generations.

Despite claims by administration officials that opposition efforts are being led by paid operatives, these calls do not sound scripted or prompted by professional activists. We hear from people who live in our district, and from residents of elsewhere in Wisconsin and throughout the Midwest, some who are contacting us for the first time. (We don’t put calls from people outside the district into our constituent database, but otherwise, we handle all the calls the same way.) Their authenticity is impossible to mistake. Their sentiments come from a genuine place of sincerity and alarm. And at the end of each week, when we convey their fears and frustrations to our boss, we discuss what we can do as public servants to address their concerns and change the atmosphere of uncertainty that has been cultivated by this administration and its policies. 

Contrary to popular belief, politics isn’t about power but about connection. Each time a constituent calls and shares their story, my colleagues and I become a part of that story. In many cases, their concerns are our concerns. Their calls remind us of the posts our friends make on Facebook and the conversations across the dinner table with our families. For me, that shared candor provides warmth in a world that too many people find cold and lonely since the election.

For a Democratic staffer on Capitol Hill in the age of Trump, the struggle for justice can feel disheartening, if not demoralizing. But with every phone call from a concerned constituent, every tweet in support of our shared resistance, every protest sign held by someone who demands dignity for all, I feel a renewed confidence in the resilience of our democracy. Their activism gives me hope. Their resolve gives me strength. And hopefully, hearing a live voice on the other end of the phone rather than a voice-mail message does a little of the same for them.

I know this could have gone in the "Resistance" thread, but figured it is about Congress.

If you think about it, Christians - and their Repuglican Party - should be the party of feeding the poor, clothing the naked, helping the sick. Jebus, where did it all go wrong? Which Bible did they get their policies from?

34 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I read an article a few years ago about how Paul Ryan made all of his staff read Ayn Rand's books as a condition of employment. I have no idea if he still does that, but it speaks volumes about where his heart is. :pb_sad:

22 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

If you think about it, Christians - and their Repuglican Party - should be the party of feeding the poor, clothing the naked, helping the sick. Jebus, where did it all go wrong? Which Bible did they get their policies from?

Please remember, many of the self professed Christians that are the most vocal about the Republican Party also believe in the Gospel of Prosperity. They believe you will be happy, healthy, and rich as part of God's plan. Therefore, the ones who are sick, unhappy, and un/underemployed need to find their brand of God. Mainline Christians are the ones who truly care for the needy, and many aren't Republicans.

@Audrey2 Can they show me where in the New Testament - which as Christians should be their text for living - ( the Jewish people get the Old Testament - didn't Jebus say he came to give new behaviours - no eye for an eye, but turn the other cheek etc?) there is ANYTHING that could give rise to a Gospel of Prosperity?

I'm not good on the OT, but I know my gospels. Nothing about riches on this earth there. All about the next world.

And I do NOT give a great deal of credence to Paul - who,after all, never met Jebus - I think he was a misogynist little creep who needed to put women down because, after all, Jebus first appeared to women after he rose again - and they were not worthy! Sorry, but I see him as the guy everyone avoided at parties, and he had to make himself important......and get back at the women who turned him down.:my_confused:

ETA In fact, if you look at the Sermon on the Mount, they are helping those they oppress into heaven, and hindering themselves!

ETA2 Sorry, I should not have said Christians when I meant the Paul Ryan/fundamentalist/ extreme brand. But - hey  - I used 'Christian' as they often use 'Muslim' - and without an apology later.....

3 hours ago, sawasdee said:

Why, 'The Art of the Deal' of course...

@sawasdee, these so called Christians love the sign that says, "Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite." I saw it in a store once and was repulsed by it.

I know I've talked about it before, but many mainline churches use the lectionary, a three year rotation of Bible passages that include readings from the Old and New Testament, as well as Psalms and Epistle (letter in the New Testament reading). Those who attend these churches are exposed to a greater range of the Bible, including the help the poor passages. Most of the prosperity gospel churches don't, so the pastor picks and chooses the parts of the Bible that support his biases (these pastors are overwhelmingly male). As a result, these congregants don't get into the help the poor passages as much, and when they do, it's more superficial, like a Duggar mission trip. They'd hand out religious coloring books and maybe some crayons, then pat themselves on the back for helping the less fortunate. 

If these churches would have anything to do with a soup kitchen, they'd make the guests listen to a sermon before eating, if not meeting with someone to dedicate their life to Christ.

Can you tell how snarly these prosperity gospel churches make me? 

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

@sawasdee, these so called Christians love the sign that says, "Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite." I saw it in a store once and was repulsed by it.

I know I've talked about it before, but many mainline churches use the lectionary, a three year rotation of Bible passages that include readings from the Old and New Testament, as well as Psalms and Epistle (letter in the New Testament reading). Those who attend these churches are exposed to a greater range of the Bible, including the help the poor passages. Most of the prosperity gospel churches don't, so the pastor picks and chooses the parts of the Bible that support his biases (these pastors are overwhelmingly male). As a result, these congregants don't get into the help the poor passages as much, and when they do, it's more superficial, like a Duggar mission trip. They'd hand out religious coloring books and maybe some crayons, then pat themselves on the back for helping the less fortunate. 

If these churches would have anything to do with a soup kitchen, they'd make the guests listen to a sermon before eating, if not meeting with someone to dedicate their life to Christ.

Can you tell how snarly these prosperity gospel churches make me? 

Just wanted to add to @Audrey2's comment, that many of the radio, television, and internet based ministries in the United States are the Prosperity Gospel folks. It's really hard for the mainline denominations to compete with people who are promising everyday that their flavor of Christianity will make you rich, when the mainline view is that spending the afterlife in the company of God, after a lifetime of serving humanity, is the best reward of all. 

Here's an older story about a Prosperity Gospel preacher trying to get his donors to pony up enough money to buy him a very expensive airplane:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/13/televangelist-jet_n_6864732.html

3 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I think you are on to something here. Many Christians are biblicially illiterate and have never read through the entire bible. Very few pastors in evangelical churches make an effort to go through the entire bible in sermons because to do it properly requires a great deal of work and study. Many devotionals Christians use are very superficial. They might refer to one verse or a short passage. There is no context or deep study.

I love this cartoonist's take on Chappass:

chaffetz2.JPG

8 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

Wonderful news: 

Wow, it would be wonderful to get Steve King and his white sheet out of power.

Okay, this is about missteps by Agent Orange, Pence, and Ryan, so it could go in multiple threads, but here we go: "Trump’s questionable Irish proverb, Paul Ryan’s ‘despicable’ pint and other St. Patrick’s Day mishaps"

The day began with a cringe-worthy, mildly offensive Irish cliche in front of a room-full of Irish people, and it all went downhill from there.

“Top of the morning,” said Vice President Pence, as he hosted Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny at his residence for breakfast Thursday.

Really? The reaction by Irish on social media was palpable.

“Literally just shouted ‘NOBODY SAYS THAT’ at the TV,” a journalist in Ireland tweeted. “I’ve literally only ever heard that said by Americans,” another person said.

“How do all the Irish people not just go, ‘Nope,’ and leave the room?” tweeted another.

Ryan introduced both Trump and Kenny at the luncheon, praising the United States’ relationship with Ireland and lauding the nation for “all she has given us.”

One of his statements caused a fair bit of head-scratching: “Americans, especially American Irish, are always try to endear ourselves to the Irish. Think about it. We went from a president who plays a lot of golf to a president who owns a lot of golf courses,” Ryan said. “That is about the closest thing you can get to royalty in Ireland.”

Trump, indeed, owns a golf course in Ireland, and has golfed in various courses at least nine times since taking office. And he recently played 18 holes with pro golfer Rory McIlroy, who is from Northern Ireland. But aside from that connection, some Irish people questioned the reference to royalty and golf, a sport that originated in Scotland.

But perhaps the most “appalling” moment of the day for some came as Ryan offered a toast, in honor of Ireland’s visit.

While addressing the luncheon, Ryan suddenly pulled out a pre-poured pint of Guinness beer from under the podium.

“To what our forefathers have started and our children will continue, may the light always shine upon them. Sláinte.”

The speaker may have used the correct word for the toast, but all Irish Guinness enthusiasts could focus on was that “despicable pint.” Anyone who has lived in or traveled to Ireland knows the law of the land: a dark, Irish beer should always be topped with a creamy, white, thick foam.

One person tweeted she would be “ashamed” to be seen holding that pint. It looked like a pint “you find in the smoking area at the end of the night, its owner stumbled home long ago,” said another.

The Irish news website the Journal summed it up this way: “Some questionable Guinness pouring going on in Washington by the looks of Paul D. Ryan’s pint.”

The article is an interesting read, especially the tangerine toddler's "Irish proverb" that turns out to be from a poem by a Nigerian author. You couldn't make this up.

The above article is why it is dangerous to cut the state department budget. It is amazing how these people make me want to laugh and throw something at the same time. I will have to settle for laughing at the moment since I am currently nursing my son.

8 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

The day began with a cringe-worthy, mildly offensive Irish cliche in front of a room-full of Irish people, and it all went downhill from there.

“Top of the morning,” said Vice President Pence, as he hosted Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny at his residence for breakfast Thursday.

I'm surprised he didn't walk out dressed like a leprechaun with an opened box of Lucky Charms.

8 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

I can't decide which one I would rather see him challenge: 

McMullin's politics are different than mine, but I think the Democrats can work with him. Hatch has been in office since the meeting of the transcontinental  railroad in Promtory Point. 

15 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I'm surprised he didn't walk out dressed like a leprechaun with an opened box of Lucky Charms.

It was before sundown so his daughter was there to nix it. Yea Lucy Charms because he is magically psychotic. 

On 3/15/2017 at 5:54 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

My Congress rep is having a town hall next week to discuss health care. Jamie (oh so dreamy) Raskin is on our side and does listen.  I went to one of his last month. I don't think I'll be able to make it this time. Sigh.

I got an obviously form letter email from Cardin this week. Even though he sent the same thing out to everybody on his e-mail  list, it had bite.  Oh that man really hates orange boy and is doing everything he can to push back.

Sometimes I feel it sounds like gloating when I talk about my reps on the Hill.  Not my intention.  I just wish everybody had what we have.

I liked this article about Al Franken. One quote really stood out to me:

But celebrity is a tricky thing in the Senate chamber, a place already well stocked with ego and ambition.

Franken said he found an early mentor in Tamera Luzzatto, who was Hillary Clinton’s Senate chief of staff at the time. Luzzatto had previously worked for Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), another famous name.

Luzzatto advised Franken to keep a low profile, take care of his state and always show up well prepared.

“What we really talked about is, there is still an opportunity in the Senate to get to know each other, and impress one another with your work ethic,” Luzzatto recalled. “The way one handles fame as an elected official — senators in particular — can help or harm you.”

Gee, what a concept: "Keep a low profile, take care of <your> state, and always show up well prepared.". It's too bad more members of Congress don't live by that plan.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived