IGNORED

Maxwells conference fall 2011

Feberin

The Maxwells look like a walking ad for Under Armour in their latest blog post.

So much so, that I Googled the company, fully expecting to find it has conservative Christian ties, much like Chick-Fil-A.

The only religious affiliation I could find was that the founder was listed as an alumnus of note from a Catholic(!!!) high school.

Any ideas why the Maxwells seem to favor Under Armour so much? I mean even two of the girls have on an Under Armour visor in a picture.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They apparently run good specials; I know a lot of frugal people who like it because the quality is good and you can get a good deal on it. I also know folks who like their stuff because a lot of it is made in the USA (I think at a factory in Ohio).

Aw, crap. My boys love Under Armour. But I'm sure there's an acceptable alternative. Off to google. . .

I'm confused. Why would you need an alternative? The Maxwells wear it but they don't seem to be fundie.

I have noticed the Maxwells wearing Under Armour stuff. I first noticed a few months back during the Colorado trip that one of the sons was wearing UA when they were rafting. I'm looking at their recent posting and in some pics they pretty much look like they are in UA ads. The founder being an alumnus of Catholic high school might not mean anything. It could be possible that Maxwells really don't much about the founder of UA or maybe they do but ignore that fact.

UA's products are pretty good and high quality. Some of their shirts are great for workouts or runs because the material is designed to keep cool and dry during exercising. Under Armour's rise popularity started more when it was used as product placement in the Friday Night Lights movie and TV show. Nike has has similar product line with the Dri-Fit shirts. I have a Nike Dri-Fit and UA shirts but are good for workouts.

I love Under Armour. We have found it in good shape at thrift stores, and I am really impressed with its function and how long it holds up.

Guest Anonymous

I'm confused. Why would you need an alternative? The Maxwells wear it but they don't seem to be fundie.

I think the thread title is a bit misleading. I haven't seen any evidence that the Maxwells are doing anything to endorse UA clothing except by wearing it - so no more than they are endorsing Joanns haberdashery fabric by making frumpers from their sale cotton prints.

I think the Maxwells generally lack imagination and when they find a brand/method/foodstuff that suits them, they stick to it monotonously.

The Chik-Fil-A was a bit different because they let slip they were getting free food all week (and we cut and pasted it here before they deleted it :D ) before making a couple of long winded comments about what a great company they are.

They apparently run good specials; I know a lot of frugal people who like it because the quality is good and you can get a good deal on it. I also know folks who like their stuff because a lot of it is made in the USA (I think at a factory in Ohio).

I'm glad to know about that. I try to buy USA- , Canadian- or Mexican-made when I can. Call me a North American xenophobe, if there's food involved, I'll come runnin'!!!

I still chuckle that if indeed there is a method to Maxwell's Underarmour madness, it's for a product worn often by Gene Simmons. About as un-Maxwellian a person as you can find, other than that he loves his wife (!) and children and mom and siblings dearly.

Come to think of it, Gene's set up his mom in high style and visits her way more than twice a year ....

;)

I'm glad to know about that. I try to buy USA- , Canadian- or Mexican-made when I can. Call me a North American xenophobe, if there's food involved, I'll come runnin'!!!

I still chuckle that if indeed there is a method to Maxwell's Underarmour madness, it's for a product worn often by Gene Simmons. About as un-Maxwellian a person as you can find, other than that he loves his wife (!) and children and mom and siblings dearly.

Come to think of it, Gene's set up his mom in high style and visits her way more than twice a year ....

;)

Maybe the Maxwells will find out about Gene Simmons wearing UA.

I do not purchase products from any company that claims any particular religious affiliation. My wallet, my choice. I don't hate religion, but I do hate it when people use religion to sell.

That "the Maxwells" wear it means nothing to me. I couldn't pick a Maxwell out of a police lineup.

Guest Anonymous

I do not purchase products from any company that claims any particular religious affiliation. My wallet, my choice. I don't hate religion, but I do hate it when people use religion to sell.

That "the Maxwells" wear it means nothing to me. I couldn't pick a Maxwell out of a police lineup.

Can you clarify what the religious affiliation is? There is nothing on the website that I can see. If the only affiliation is that the CEO happened to go to Catholic High School (which would have been her/his parents' choice), then what is the problem with the company?

Oh, okay. Well, from what I'm seeing it just looks like the owner of UA went to a Catholic high school(per a Washington Post article). The company's materials don't mention any religious affiliation and all their charitable affiliations look pretty mainstream (Cal Ripken foundation, Ronald McDonald House, various sports foundations).

Do you think this, coupled with their recent dress improvements are attempts by the Maxwells to 'modern up' like the Duggars did?

Business has been slow from what we can gather, do you think they are noticing how far out of touch they are and are trying to revamp their image to appeal to more sheeple?

Sorry, I read the initial post wrong. If some fundie family is wearing something, I don't care, but from the post title, I took it to be that Under Armour has a religious affiliation like Chik-Fil-A does. That's what I get for skimming.

I don't think Under Armour claims any religious affiliation. I think they just happen to be Catholic.

That's right.

I'm the OP, and sorry if I didn't make it clear, but there does not appear to be any religious affiliation for Under Armour.

I was almost expecting one because the Maxwells are wearing so freaking much of it in their most recent blog post.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any reason why the Maxwells, who would seem to shy away from advertising brand names, are wearing so much of it. If I saw them on the street looking like that, I'd think I'd assume one of them worked there and got the stuff free.

I just wondered if there was some religious affiliation that I wasn't aware of, which is why I put a ? in the title.

Did Gene and his gf finally get married? I don't have cable, so I can't watch the show anymore.

Yes they are now married. The ceremony was a 2 hour special. The officiant never said God or any diety during the vows, ring exchange or anything. At the end though, he had the kids and Gene and Shannon all together and offered up a blessing and he did say Amen.

I know Gene is nominally Jewish but I have no idea what Shannon is. I didn't realize that Gene didn't do drugs, drink or smoke. Basically his only vice was sex and he's pledged to be with Shannon and her alone.

I'm glad to know about that. I try to buy USA- , Canadian- or Mexican-made when I can.
 Possibly off the main topic, but if you ever like to wear plain cotton sweatshirts (as I do in fall/winter) there's a place http://www.justsweatshirts.com that sells plain colored (lots of colors too) cotton sweatshirts with absolutely no logo or marking, made in Canada. It's good to wear plain or else as a base to put your own silkscreen art on or sew patches, etc. And Canadian :)

It's not the absolute cheapest but the stuff lasts a very long time. I am satisfied.

UA is actually based out of Baltimore. Depending where the CEO lived he might have gone to Catholic high school because the city schools are horrible and there aren't many secular private schools especially back when the CEO would have been attending them.

I have an Under Armour jacket on right now and it the tag says it was made in Honduras. The stuff does wear pretty well. The Cold Gear fabric doesn't pill or get less soft after its been washed a lot. I can see it being passed down from kid to kid and still holding up. My jackets and running leggings have taken a serious beating.

titus2.com/conferences/Locations/savannah-ga-11/Savannah-GA.pdf

I was reading the flyer for one of their conferences. What do you suppose some of these "sessions" are about?

Experiencing the Joy of Young Womanhood

for young ladies* by Sarah, 29

What does she know about being a woman? She lives at home, doesn't have a job, and her Daddy dictates her every move....

The Keys to Unlocking Your Future

for young ladies* by Sarah, 29, Anna,

18, and Mary, 14

aahhhh, sit at home, do chores, wait for "prince charming" to drop out of the sky and hope Daddy will let you marry.....

Dwelling Together in Unity

for young people* by John and Anna

What does this mean??? No sibling "fights"????

A Necessary Skill for Life

for young people* by Joseph and Anna

?????????

Loving Your Husband

for ladies by Teri

If you need a "class" on this, then you are in real trouble.....

Archived