IGNORED

American Alt-Right Agenda

Howl

7 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

One of my senators is wonderful and called Trump for Bannon as soon as possible, my other one hurts my soul and first thing tomorrow I will call the headache one. I feel like I should know this but besides publicly disapproving him, can senators do anything? Like hold a session on it?

I'm not entirely sure. I don't think this is a position that requires a confirmation hearing. If so, then I don't think they can do much officially.

But it's still important for more of them to speak up. It sends a strong message that hate has no place in the White House and that the constituents that person serves stand strongly against Bannon. If nothing else, it will help show the nation and world that many Americans flat out reject white supremacy and misogyny.

51 minutes ago, GeoBQn said:

Is there a good script I can use for calling my senators and representatives about Bannon?

When I called I basically just stated my name, my town, and that I was calling to "strongly urge the Senator/Representative to publicly condemn the appointment of Steve Bannon to a high ranking White House position."

Write down a few points about why he's such a shit choice. They likely won't ask - because it's so clear why he's a bad choice - but it's good to be prepared in case.

They'll likely just ask for your name, town or zip code, and possibly a phone number in case you need a call back. At least that's how it went for me. I live in  blue state though, so it may not go as smoothly for people in red states or with Republican Reps. I've seen at least one story on Pantsuit Nation talking about how a staffer for a Republican official tried arguing with her during a call she made. She shut him up by saying she wasn't aware it was his job to argue with constituents and she was not interested in his personal opinions. 

16 minutes ago, MyMilkshake said:

I hate how they are calling themselves Alt-Right. Don't pretty it up, people. Call yourselves fascists because that's what you are.

They asked a writer at Breitbart what the difference was between the alt-right and skinheads and he said "intelligence"

They are skinheads with degrees who learned how to speak and persuade white working class Americans into thinking they are being oppressed. It's terrifying. To say it's appalling doesn't seem strong enough. It's disgusting. They should be labelled a hate group- end of story.

The article @Geechee Girl posted about Derek Black is a good read. I wish he would come forward now and work with leaders like Shaun King to bring his dad and others like him down for good. His flight from white nationalism means very little to me if he doesn't use his power, privilege, and notoriety to do anything about it. 

@VelociRapture Thanks for the info about your phone call with your rep. I checked and unsurprisingly my representative has said nothing about Bannon or the hate against minorities. He is too busy complaining about Hillary's emails and pushing the witch hunt. I have another thing on my list to address. I will call later today if my baby lets me. He is extra crabby today because he had a vaccination and is sleeping in my arms.

Okay, because we all need a little laugh (or cry), The Washington Post had a good op-ed about Steve Bannon. Lots of sarcasm...

Listen, what proof do you have that this dead lizard wrapped in the Confederate flag will not make an excellent chief strategist and senior counselor to the president of the United States?

I, for one, believe that everyone deserves a chance.

You’re not wrong that this appears to be a pig’s head slowly rotting on a stake, grotesque insinuations pouring from its mouth as flies buzz around it in the island heat, but I would need to learn more about it, honestly. I’m no expert.

You say that this man just painted a swastika on a church but — couldn’t it be a plus sign? We don’t know. Some people are better at drawing plus signs than others. I wouldn’t read anything into it. Maybe he just loves churches.

Yes, okay, this rabid opossum bit me on the ankle, then handed me an Islamophobic pamphlet, but we have no proof it wrote the pamphlet. This is America, where we give the benefit of the doubt.

You say, “potato enthusiastically supported by the Ku Klux Klan’s David Duke”; I say, “controversial potato.”

Just because something attracts anti-Semites and racists doesn’t mean that it, itself, is either of those things. It doesn’t mean that it supports their views. Who knows why anyone is attracted to anything? Weird coincidences happen all the time.

Listen, when we need to denounce an actual racist, anti-Semite, white supremacist, Islamophobe, you name it, I will be there. I promise. I will not hesitate to do that, when the time comes, clearly and appropriately labeled. I have yet to see one, but when I do, boy, I will light into him! It will be something to see.

This is not that.

I have no doubt that a real racist sexist chauvinist white supremacist will be easy to spot. “I am coming for minorities now,” he will say. “I am an actual racist. I am, literally, Hitler, or at the very least Goebbels.”

In fact, I recently read an article that pointed out, quite astutely, that we are not talking about LITERAL JOSEPH GOEBBELS here, and it reassured me a great deal. (When I think of positive things to say about people, the first place I go to is negative comparisons to Hitler’s inner circle. That was what I said at my best friend’s wedding during the maid-of-honor speech. “We don’t know for a fact,” I said, “that Emily is one of history’s greatest monsters.” If that is not a resounding endorsement of someone’s character, I can’t think what is.)

So I say, as many courageous members of Congress have said with me, what evidence do we have that Breitbart’s Steve Bannon will be anything but a fine chief strategist and counselor to President Donald Trump?

We have no proof that he is threatening, other than his words and actions, the voices that he has given a platform to, and the ugly philosophy he has allowed to spread. We cannot possibly know what is in his heart. So, you know. Who knows.

There is no need to denounce him. We should wait and see. Hear him out.

But when something really counts, you bet I’ll stand up and say something.

Dead lizard wrapped in the confederate flag. Yeah, that just about sums it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived