IGNORED

American Alt-Right Agenda

Howl

Just read a long article on HuffPo Highline ("Stories that stay with you"):  My Journey to the Center of the Alt-right by Luke O'Brien

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/alt-right/

FJ explained to me the terms alt-right edge lord, cucking, 4chan, so thanks for that background.  This article goes deeply into white identity politics and lays out how how Trump is enabling and promoting, white identity politics.  

As noted above, this is a long article and scary as crap.  Luke O'Brien visited many leaders of the alt-right and has obviously done his research on the movement.   He's a smart guy who writes well.  Take your time to read the whole thing.  

Here are a few paragraphs from throughout the article to whet your appetite.  

Experts who track hate groups lament that the alt-right is just old white nationalism rebranded. And it is. But it’s more than that, too. It is also a grassroots movement that coalesced online, in the primordial ooze of chat forums and message boards like 4chan, 8chan and Reddit. Most alt-righters are digital natives, and they have weaponized social media. 

“I don’t think that Donald Trump set out to inspire the alt-right, but we’ve been thrown into the same boat by our shared enemies, so he’s become an alt-right god,” Spencer told me. “If you wear a Trump hat in many places, you might as well be wearing a swastika.”

And in Trump, the troll army found an even greater purpose and a megaphone. Not only does the Republican nominee seem to share certain character traits with many alt-righters—he is deliberately offensive, he clearly enjoys trolling people on Twitter—he also circulates their rhetoric and imagery.

Trump had gone well beyond playing footsie with the alt-right. “This man is 88% woke,” wrote a columnist on The Daily Stormer.

The hard tack toward outright white nationalism was no accident. It was set in motion in August, when Trump placed Stephen Bannon, Breitbart’s executive chairman, at the head of his campaign. Thanks to Bannon—who helped write the Palm Beach speech—the alt-right, incredibly, now had an ideological thruway to the campaign itself.

I learned two new-to-me words in this article:

sigil: an inscribed or painted symbol considered to have magical power

bricolage:  (in art or literature) construction or creation from a diverse range of available things.

Interesting article, thank you. That the Cheeto panders to racists didn't come as a surprise, and it's only logical that once a presidential candidate has spewed hateful rhetoric without a major backlash, the far right would see its chance. But it's scary to have it all confirmed so clearly in their own words.

On a side-note: Marcus Epstein, the half Korean, half Jewish white supremacist? Mate, whatever you're smoking, stop! These people are not your friends, okay? If they ever achieve what they want, do you think they'll give a shit about you?!? You're a mascot for as long as you serve your purpose. These people hate your very existence!

5 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

Investigative journalist, Luke O'Brien, documents the the behind the scenes look at the rise of a new brand of white supremacy in  American politics. I posted this in Election Night, but I feel this info would be lost there.

"My Journey to the Center of the Alt-Right"

That was equal parts informative and horrifying.  Thank you, @Geechee Girl, for posting this.  Knowing there are Neo-Nazi/white supremacists groups out there are very different from reading all the ways they've infiltrated mainstream politics, even so far as to being deeply involved in our President-elect's campaign.  I shouldn't be surprised, maybe I'm just so saddened and angry I've gone numb.

I'm saving this to read when I have a bit more energy and hope. This was the one thing that I just could not believe how he could continue on such a white supremacist-heavy campaign. As a friend of mine on Facebook said: America really took off its hood tonight.

Super scary stuff.

5 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

I'm saving this to read when I have a bit more energy and hope. This was the one thing that I just could not believe how he could continue on such a white supremacist-heavy campaign. As a friend of mine on Facebook said: America really took off its hood tonight.

Super scary stuff.

Yeah, I had to stop reading for a bit, go hug my kid and come back to it.  I think it is important to educate ourselves, but after yesterday?  Yep, it's bleak.

“Honestly, it’s better for us as a movement if [Clinton] wins,” Anglin wrote. “Everyone is going to be extremely angry and looking for answers and they will come directly to us.”

It's my bit of hope right now. That Trump's victory proves these people that world is not controlled by Invisible Forces of Evil and they CAN vote anyone in White House, they just shouldn't. 

21 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

Investigative journalist, Luke O'Brien, documents the the behind the scenes look at the rise of a new brand of white supremacy in  American politics. I posted this in Election Night, but I feel this info would be lost there.

"My Journey to the Center of the Alt-Right"

HOLY SHIT!!!!!  (I know I said I would clean up my language after the election, but. . .) This is terrifying! 

On a related topic - I've always considered myself Caucasian, white, whatever, white parents , grandparents, I'm fair-skinned, blond, blue-eyed, pretty much the whitest white person you ever saw.  I sent off my DNA for analysis about a year ago, expecting to see a result of 95+% Northern European and something else sprinkled in for interest.  Well, much to my surprise, it came back only a bit over 80% Northern European, the remaining 20% was Native American, Asian, and Sub-Saharan African (the largest)!  I was dumbfounded at first, and then delighted, finding my background SO MUCH more interesting than I imagined.  I started checking my ethnicity as "Other" on forms and searching my family tree for answers. My siblings are not so happy and would like me to shut up.  

After reading this article, I'm wondering what would some of these alt-rights consider me, (not that I care), but it's a bit frightening.  Looks are deceiving. I expect there may be a lot of people like me, who might be very surprised at their DNA, including some of these neanderthals in the alt-right movement. 

I'm really hoping to find the African bloodline originated on my maternal grandfather's line.  Family legend says he was KKK, and I think that would be the ultimate irony and kick in the pants for dear old Grandaddy! (May he RIP)

I know it's a lengthy read, thanks for sticking with it. I've been sending it to all my contacts. As @violynn mentioned, it's a whole nother ballgame to see how these creeps infiltrate politics. This ain't the Klan of old gathering around a burning cross, or gangs of roving skinhead thugs. This type of white supremacy has evolved. They're educated, sophisticated, and way more subversive. 

The Washington Post had an excellent article about the alt-right as well about a kid who was raised in the system, and considered rising royalty. His road is also an interesting read.

"The white flight of Derek Black" 

On 11/4/2016 at 9:24 AM, samurai_sarah said:

Interesting article, thank you. That the Cheeto panders to racists didn't come as a surprise, and it's only logical that once a presidential candidate has spewed hateful rhetoric without a major backlash, the far right would see its chance. But it's scary to have it all confirmed so clearly in their own words.

On a side-note: Marcus Epstein, the half Korean, half Jewish white supremacist? Mate, whatever you're smoking, stop! These people are not your friends, okay? If they ever achieve what they want, do you think they'll give a shit about you?!? You're a mascot for as long as you serve your purpose. These people hate your very existence!

When I saw what you wrote about Epstein my first reaction was to laugh. Because I immediately thought of this:

Its a phenomenal skit from Dave Chappelle's show. Basic premise is Clayton Bigsby is a blind black man who was raised to think he was white and is a member of the KKK. 

But then I stopped laughing. Because Epstein is a real person. And that's just disturbing and horrifying.

Steve Bannon is officially in Trump's administration now. *puke* 

this is the world he comes from and this is what he will be feeding Trump's ear: 

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2016/08/17/breitbart-news-worst-headlines/212467

http://wonkette.com/605845/new-democratic-ad-is-just-people-reading-gross-breitbart-headlines-because-breitbart-is-gross

I just came here to post this, @AmazonGrace.  I can't even wrap my head around it.  Hopefully, the people who voted for Trump are now understanding what it means to make a deal with the devil.  

A family member,  25-year Army veteran,  public education retiree, and lifelong thoughful conservative, send me a post-election meme saying "Never underestimate the ability of large groups of people to make stupid decisions."  He is viscerally disgusted by Trump.  

Trump has no filter to judge another person's character other than to access their utility to him and at this point, he thinks these people will serve his purpose by pandering to his right-most base.  Things WILL get worse.   If Sarah Palin is selected to head the EPA......

What. 

I'm trying to find other words. Unsuccessfully. 
Few weeks ago I though people comparing Trump to Hitler were over dramatic. And now here I am. Comparing Trump to Hitler. 

Call your Senators and House Rep. Tell them that Bannon is completely unfit for a spot in the new administration and demand that they take s strong stand against it.

Probably won't do any good, but at the very least the uproar over it will be well known. Hopefully it will at least embarrass the Trump Administration a bit (not likely - they feel no shame.)

ETA: Just left messages with staffers for Senators Murphy and Blumenthal, as well as Representative DeLauro asking that they publicly condemn the hiring decision. DeLauro's staffer said they were getting a lot of calls like that, which gave us both a good laugh.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Call your Senators and House Rep. Tell them that Bannon is completely unfit for a spot in the new administration and demand that they take s strong stand against it.

Probably won't do any good, but at the very least the uproar over it will be well known. Hopefully it will at least embarrass the Trump Administration a bit (not likely - they feel no shame.)

ETA: Just left messages with staffers for Senators Murphy and Blumenthal, as well as Representative DeLauro asking that they publicly condemn the hiring decision. DeLauro's staffer said they were getting a lot of calls like that, which gave us both a good laugh.

I called my Senators and Representative. They were all familiar with the issue. Senator Warner's staffer, in particular, said that Senator Warner is already quite aware and is pushing that all members of the new administration believe in an inclusive and fair government. I laughed out loud and said that wouldn't happen if Bannon gets in. She said they've had quite a bit of feedback since the election. I told her to expect lots more.

3 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I called my Senators and Representative. They were all familiar with the issue. Senator Warner's staffer, in particular, said that Senator Warner is already quite aware and is pushing that all members of the new administration believe in an inclusive and fair government. I laughed out loud and said that wouldn't happen if Bannon gets in. She said they've had quite a bit of feedback since the election. I told her to expect lots more.

Excellent job!!!

I'm fortunate to live in a blue state. All my Reps are democrats, except the State Senator for my district. So it's easy enough for me to feel comfortable and relaxed calling their offices.

For anyone with phone anxiety (like me) or who have Republican lawmakers - consider writing your points down ahead of time. That way you know exactly what you want to mention if you get nervous or if the staffer starts acting like an ass on the phone.

And if they do act like an ass, don't feel badly or awkward about cutting them off. They're there to listen to you and your concerns, not argue with you. Get their name and then write a letter to their boss complaining about their unprofessional behavior. If they don't take it seriously (and you feel so inclined) then contact a local news source and try to get them involved if they're interested. Basically, just don't be afraid to make their lives miserable if they're not willing to listen to you.

... God. Republicans should be so fucking grateful I don't live in a red state. I can be so damn annoying when pissed off. :pb_lol:

Reince Priebus continues to normalize the Trump camp.

Far from the white-supremacist, misogynistic portrayal he’s received in the media, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said Monday that incoming White House chief strategist Steve Bannon is actually “very wise and smart” and “was a force for good on this campaign.”

“I like to judge people as I see it as opposed to seeing what other people say and I think most people that are watching know that that's the way to live your life,” Priebus said on Fox News’s “Fox and Friends.” “I'll tell you the Steve Bannon I know is a guy that is really on the same page with a lot of the things — almost everything that I agree with as far as advising president-elect Trump.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/reince-priebus-defends-steve-bannon-231322

I guess Bannon's one of the "good" white supremacists. :roll:

Wow, this whole thing just keeps getting better and better. And by better and better, I mean it fucking sucks. Never in my life did I think the next administration running the government would sink so low, but it looks like it's happening. It seems like a really bad movie. I just don't understand why the news isn't hitting back harder on Bannon's background. There were only a few mentions about Bannon that I heard tonight.

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I also plan on calling/writing my representatives in Congress. Luckily, my senators are Democrats but the House Rep. stayed red. And then my blue-collar state flipped to red which really pisses me off.

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

Reince Priebus continues to normalize the Trump camp.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/reince-priebus-defends-steve-bannon-231322

I guess Bannon's one of the "good" white supremacists. :roll:

I think I need to start buying both Advil and Maalox in the convenient 100,000 dose packages. When I talked to a staffer at the office of one of my Senators, I said the thought of Steve Bannon with any influence over anything more important than the brand of toilet paper being used is terrifying. The staffer said she understood (I don't think she could say she agreed, but it was implied) and that she had heard quite a bit of feedback from constituents. I am going to hound their offices, though they are strong Democrats, plus I am going to continue writing to news outlets. It's appalling that Bannon might have so much official influence. What's next? David Duke for Attorney General? I realize I'm being a little hyperbolic here, but really, what's off the table when you put Bannon in charge?

1 hour ago, HeathenBlondie said:

Wow, this whole thing just keeps getting better and better. And by better and better, I mean it fucking sucks. Never in my life did I think the next administration running the government would sink so low, but it looks like it's happening. It seems like a really bad movie. I just don't understand why the news isn't hitting back harder on Bannon's background. There were only a few mentions about Bannon that I heard tonight.

I also plan on calling/writing my representatives in Congress. Luckily, my senators are Democrats but the House Rep. stayed red. And then my blue-collar state flipped to red which really pisses me off.

Start pestering your local newspapers and TV stations. I live near Washington DC, and The Washington Post has been pretty consistent on hammering Drumpf and his choices, even though they've slipped a few fluff pieces in here and there.

Blumenthal issued a good statement tonight about Bannon. I emailed him to thank him for issuing a statement. I'd encourage everyone to do the same if your Reps spoke out as well. Especially if those Reps are Republicans - they need the positive feedback to know they did the right thing.

Heres what I sent. Feel free to use it as a template:

Dear Senator Blumenthal,

I want to offer my most sincere thanks for your strong statement tonight condemning the appointment of Steve Bannon to a high position in the Trump Administration. It's so important for our elected officials to take a stand against bigotry and hate. Thank you for sending the message that this type of conduct is unacceptable in our public officials.

Sincerely,
VelociRapture

19 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Blumenthal issued a good statement tonight about Bannon. I emailed him to thank him for issuing a statement. I'd encourage everyone to do the same if your Reps spoke out as well. Especially if those Reps are Republicans - they need the positive feedback to know they did the right thing.

Heres what I sent. Feel free to use it as a template:

I heard his statement today on Eyewitness News! Strong statement - I need to get to writing. I hate that my governor is a Drumpf fanboy, can't wait until he is gone.

I'm Muslim and, like many of all walks of life, I feel compelled to do something. I posted before about working for CAIR. The opportunity has actually arisen for me to take a high visibility position and now I've found myself having to think about my personal safety, as well as the safety of my family, in the event that I accept the offer.  This shouldn't even be a realistic concern in a just and fair America.

Had I been pondering this offer a year ago, I might have thought of nasty email or phone messages or someone finding my home and spray painting graffiti, but now I have to think of physical attacks. This country seems to have changed so quickly and so dramatically. It's a total paradigm shift. 

Every day gets worse and worse. Bannon. Seriously? 

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Start pestering your local newspapers and TV stations. I live near Washington DC, and The Washington Post has been pretty consistent on hammering Drumpf and his choices, even though they've slipped a few fluff pieces in here and there.

I'll start in with the local papers and TV tomorrow. I don't live near a big city, but as long as word gets out on how even more extreme these people are the better. All the locals who voted Trump should know what they got us all into right now. Good to hear that The Washington Post isn't letting Trump off easy. Hopefully it will continue with every stupid decision he's made and will make.

One of my senators is wonderful and called Trump for Bannon as soon as possible, my other one hurts my soul and first thing tomorrow I will call the headache one. I feel like I should know this but besides publicly disapproving him, can senators do anything? Like hold a session on it?

Archived