IGNORED

Help! Need tofu marinade

HerNameIsBuffy

I found a recipe that appeals to my very finicky vegetarian man child.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/45688/coconut-curry-tofu/

At least he thinks so, he's never had curry and I have my doubts since I haaaaaate curry - but want to encourage his venturing out beyond veggie burgers.

(I love him so much I'm willing to curry up my kitchen.  Where is my mother of the year award?)

this recipe doesn't call for a tofu marinade and I know from the lovely and brilliant @Destiny one must marinate tofu.

after pressing it idk what kind of marinade to use.  Any suggestions?  

I usually marinade it but I'd make the recipe as is. Then leave the house because curry is poison. *gag. Report the news on the tofu bites though - I may have a go.

I usually bake or sauté mine with veggies, so I haven't done a ton of experimentation. 

20 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I usually marinade it but I'd make the recipe as is. Then leave the house because curry is poison. *gag. Report the news on the tofu bites though - I may have a go.

I usually bake or sauté mine with veggies, so I haven't done a ton of experimentation. 

Thanks!  I will be blogging my adventures in tofu on feed jinger.  Whether they come out good enough to feed anyone remains to me seen.

3 hours ago, Destiny said:

Being able to wing something like this impresses me.  I always need a plan.

@HerNameIsBuffy We love this marinade for grilled tofu- I've also used it on chicken.  

½ cup fresh lime juice

⅓ cup maple syrup

¼ cup low-sodium tamari or soy sauce (we use soy sauce)

2 tsp. chili paste with garlic (I substitute hot sauce because we don't have chili paste on hand)

3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)

¼ tsp. ground black pepper

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/spicy-grilled-tofu

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My 13 year old is refusing meat more and more.  We have to get some healthy protein into and she asked for tofu. She has had it before at when we go out for Chinese. I told her she needed to cook it (grill, bake, broil) with some kind of sauce.  Did she listen? No. She just microwaved a big chunk, declared it 'disgusting', and tossed it in the trash.  We are trying again with a bottle of Thai peanut sauce.  This time I'll walk her through marinading and frying or broiling it.

Probably one the best, non threatening tofu "gateway" recipes is baked tofu cubes. They're very firm and have a mild flavor.

Anyway, cut a block of extra firm tofu into 4 slabs, then lay the slabs out on a towel with something heavy in it (glass baking dish, pizza stone, whatevs) and leave it half hour or so. 

Cut each slab into 12 cubes, gently toss the cubes with seasoning (Goya adobo and McCormick rotisserie seasoning are my favorites). Put the cubes on a baking sheet (greased, parchment papered, or Silpat), give them a quick blast of cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. 

At that point, the cubes will be a nice golden brown. You can eat them right away, but letting them sit overnight in the fridge makes them even better. Toss them in a salad, or in a stir fry or something. Very tasty and not at all mushy or beans tasting. 

Silken tofu also makes a damn fine egg-like breakfast. It tastes like hardboiled egg whites when you pan-fry and sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper. Especially if you can get your mitts on some black salt, which has sort of an eggy taste to it.,

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, Denim Jumper said:

Probably one the best, non threatening tofu "gateway" recipes is baked tofu cubes. They're very firm and have a mild flavor.

Anyway, cut a block of extra firm tofu into 4 slabs, then lay the slabs out on a towel with something heavy in it (glass baking dish, pizza stone, whatevs) and leave it half hour or so. 

Cut each slab into 12 cubes, gently toss the cubes with seasoning (Goya adobo and McCormick rotisserie seasoning are my favorites). Put the cubes on a baking sheet (greased, parchment papered, or Silpat), give them a quick blast of cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. 

At that point, the cubes will be a nice golden brown. You can eat them right away, but letting them sit overnight in the fridge makes them even better. Toss them in a salad, or in a stir fry or something. Very tasty and not at all mushy or beans tasting. 

Silken tofu also makes a damn fine egg-like breakfast. It tastes like hardboiled egg whites when you pan-fry and sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper. Especially if you can get your mitts on some black salt, which has sort of an eggy taste to it.,

These do sound quite tasty. You could probably dip the cubes into something (ie, like mozzarella sticks into melba sauce), right?

• 4 months later...

What sort of tofu are you using?  

Extra firm is good marinated in a mixture of soy sauce and sugar and garlic.  That's my go-to - just a tablespoon or two of soy sauce, a teaspoon of sugar, and a teaspoon of sugar for a quarter-block of pressed/patted down tofu.  Put it in a ziploc and leave it overnight.  

Inari sushi marinade is also very nice if you live near a good Asian grocery.  It's a sweet-salty mix of of soy sauce, sugar, mirin, sake and dashi.  It tastes good on regular tofu as well as tofu skins.  

I used to do a lot more western-style tofu... like marinated in BBQ sauce, or rubbed down with chili powder, but IMO it just doesn't taste right with western flavours.  Honestly, anything you put on chicken, you could put on firm tofu and it'll work even if it tastes a bit different.  

Tofu puffs (spongy-inside fried tofu bits) work good with any thicker sauce - curry, thicker teriyaki, thai spicy basil, in a soup.  They taste a lot better than tofu bricks.  

My picky boyfriend likes a lightly breaded tofu, enough so that he'll make it himself for lunch these days. Follow @Denim Jumper's advice for cubing and draining, but toss with a little flour, salt and pepper instead. Then heat up enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a pan and fry until they are browned on each side. No marinating necessary. Nicely crunchy in a rice dish or salad.

• 5 weeks later...

If you  like burritos or burrito bowls, sofritas tofu is delicious! We do tofu at least once a week, usually sauced up, in curry, stir fry or soup (hot and sour or tofu goes great in chowder). 

Sofritas - I skipped the poblano (not ripe) and agave since I was using sweet corn. We do it with black beans, rice and guac. 

I also marinate it with greek dressing and fresh mint and blend it with feta, garlic, oregano and a bit of oil for a creamy sauce to serve with greek style pasta salad (orzo, chick peas, red onions, fresh green beans or snap peas).

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

If you go to an Indian grocery store, look for Chutney powder. You can also look up a recipe. It's great on tofu. I use it as a coating, then bake or saute. Sprinkle some on top when done. It has a slightly hot/sweet/savory flavor. It also adds texture.

Archived