IGNORED

WBC at my school!

QueenNocturne

http://www.miamistudent.net/news/miami- ... -1.2598853

So, my undergrad is hosting Shirley Phelps-Roper to come in and speak to comparative religion students. Needless to say, my fellow alumni and friends who are current students are up in arms.

To be honest, I'm still trying to get over the whole "WBC at my school" to have a coherent opinion at the moment. Any thoughts from my fellow FJ-ians?

http://www.miamistudent.net/news/miami-to-host-westboro-baptist-church-1.2598853

So, my undergrad is hosting Shirley Phelps-Roper to come in and speak to comparative religion students. Needless to say, my fellow alumni and friends who are current students are up in arms.

To be honest, I'm still trying to get over the whole "WBC at my school" to have a coherent opinion at the moment. Any thoughts from my fellow FJ-ians?

I understand having controversial people but why Shirley? The WBC is like a less violent extension of the Klan. They hate everyone except themselves.

Do you get to ask her questions? That might be interesting.

I graduated from Miami in 2010, and only the Religion 102 class will get to ask her questions, so no. :/

Though I'm really considering coming down that day to either sneak into that class or counter-protest.

I graduated from Miami in 2010, and only the Religion 102 class will get to ask her questions, so no. :/

Though I'm really considering coming down that day to either sneak into that class or counter-protest.

I can't imagine how well she would react if asked thoughtful, intelligent questions. Being forced to answer such questions would probably be more harmful to her than all the counter protests. It's surprising that she agreed to this.

The religion professor sounds ignorant.

"Westboro Baptist Church spokeswoman Shirley Phelps-Roper will be the only campus visitor, comparative religion professor Liz Wilson said. Westboro Baptist Church could not be immediately reached for comment. The church has already notified the university, however, of plans to picket an unspecified event in Cincinnati during their stay in Ohio. Wilson said Phelps-Roper has given the university "her word" that WBC will not picket Miami or Oxford. Wilson hopes the university community will learn more about the family and followers of Westboro Baptist Church because of the visit. "The intellectual discourse in our country, everyday, everyone is screaming at each other," Wilson said. "It behooves us to listen to the screaming (and) try to engage it as human being-to-human being."

On the one hand, as a free speech advocate, I don't have a problem with this.

On the other hand, we know what these people are about, they've only shoved themselves in our faces for nearly 20 years now. (Why yes, back in 1993, one Benjamin Phelps made an absolute nuisance of himself on email distribution lists, preaching the Phelpsian message of hate.)

And, on the third hand, I don't trust Shirley Phelps as far as I could throw her. I think they're going to picket Miami of Ohio and Oxford anyway. Tell her to go away.

I can't imagine how well she would react if asked thoughtful, intelligent questions. Being forced to answer such questions would probably be more harmful to her than all the counter protests. It's surprising that she agreed to this.

She'll react the same way Lauren Drain's parents reacted when they were interviewed. Chris Cuomo had more sense than the religion professor. He spotlighted their crazy. The professor thinks she can rationalize with their crazy.

That is what I wonder too, how would she respond to various questions. I agree it is surprising she would do this. I wonder if this will cause more anger and outrage than when Snooki from Jersey Shore spoke at Rutgers.

On the other hand, we know what these people are about, they've only shoved themselves in our faces for nearly 20 years now. (Why yes, back in 1993, one Benjamin Phelps made an absolute nuisance of himself on email distribution lists, preaching the Phelpsian message of hate.)

Oh God, I'm getting old. I remember him on the email lists.

That is what I wonder too, how would she respond to various questions. I agree it is surprising she would do this. I wonder if this will cause more anger and outrage than when Snooki from Jersey Shore spoke at Rutgers.

I don't find it surprising. The Phelps family lights up at the prospect of bringing attention to themselves. They're being fed exactly what they crave. They're extremists with a need for attention.

I'm guessing this professor wants to show how her intellectual arguments can overcome this woman and her church's beliefs. The thing is they can't. These people love it when there are counter-protests to their protests. They believe that being persecuted brings them closer to God and the persecuters closer to Judgement day. Honestly the best thing we can do is ignore them while making sure our own beliefs are well communicated.

WBC was invited to talk with a class at my school, once. The school did horribly in letting any of us know what was going on, so we all just assumed that WBC's event list said that they were going to picket the ebil state university. Of course, I was pissed off. The hell they will protest my school! I hated how they were hateful toward Catholics (which I am) and GLBTQ. So I and some friends organized a short-noticed impromptu counter protest. Nothing directly against WBC, but we made up a bunch of serious and not so serious signs. "God hates f*gs, but he loves pipes and cigars." "Ceiling Cat Luvs U" and all sorts of things. We circulated two collection cans--one for a group that works hard to combat hate against gays, and one for a Catholic charity. (I got complaints from both sides--"why support the Catholics? they hate gays!" and "Why are you supporting gay rights? It's immoral!")

Anyway, even though they never showed up to protest, we had a great time there. Some people passed around flowers, we danced, and had a lot of fun. We deliberately sought to make it a non-protest counter-protest. Basically, it was a love-in.

So I don't know if you might be able to do something similar. They thrive on true counter-protests and the hate toward them--so show up, but don't pay attention to them. Just have a love-in with similarly nonsense signs to combat their nonsense signs. But you might need permission from the events coordinator or something like that--so make sure you know where your boundaries are.

Other campus protests have played the Rick Roll loudly on a boombox, others threw hamburgers at them (not advised, but still hilarious). Check YouTube for some videos.

The religion professor sounds ignorant.

"Westboro Baptist Church spokeswoman Shirley Phelps-Roper will be the only campus visitor, comparative religion professor Liz Wilson said. Westboro Baptist Church could not be immediately reached for comment. The church has already notified the university, however, of plans to picket an unspecified event in Cincinnati during their stay in Ohio. Wilson said Phelps-Roper has given the university "her word" that WBC will not picket Miami or Oxford. Wilson hopes the university community will learn more about the family and followers of Westboro Baptist Church because of the visit. "The intellectual discourse in our country, everyday, everyone is screaming at each other," Wilson said. "It behooves us to listen to the screaming (and) try to engage it as human being-to-human being."

I've had Professor Wilson before and she's very, very decidedly non-ignorant. However, she's also very much for having people of different beliefs and backgrounds come together and learn from each other. I can absolutely see where she's coming from, but the problem is that Shirley Phelps-Roper might not be as interested in having a mature, intelligent discussion as Professor Wilson would like.

QueenNocturne wrote:

I've had Professor Wilson before and she's very, very decidedly non-ignorant. However, she's also very much for having people of different beliefs and backgrounds come together and learn from each other. I can absolutely see where she's coming from, but the problem is that Shirley Phelps-Roper might not be as interested in having a mature, intelligent discussion as Professor Wilson would like.

I don't know Professor Wilson but even if Shirley behaves in her usual loud-mouthed, intractably abrasive manner, it will provide the audience with a nearly infinite number of teachable moments. "What can we say of a faith that effectively refuses to engage in dialog?" and "Where did her beliefs align with mere Christianity, where did they run counter to Jesus and His teachings, where did they diverge into something completely different?"

I hope the prof is able to maintain order and dignity and a true spirit of inquiry and discovery among the students in the lecture hall. I'm not at all against counter-protests, but I pray (ok, just once, but I did pray about it!) that those are held to another time and space than the class presentation!!!

WBC was invited to talk with a class at my school, once. The school did horribly in letting any of us know what was going on, so we all just assumed that WBC's event list said that they were going to picket the ebil state university. Of course, I was pissed off. The hell they will protest my school! I hated how they were hateful toward Catholics (which I am) and GLBTQ. So I and some friends organized a short-noticed impromptu counter protest. Nothing directly against WBC, but we made up a bunch of serious and not so serious signs. "God hates f*gs, but he loves pipes and cigars." "Ceiling Cat Luvs U" and all sorts of things. We circulated two collection cans--one for a group that works hard to combat hate against gays, and one for a Catholic charity. (I got complaints from both sides--"why support the Catholics? they hate gays!" and "Why are you supporting gay rights? It's immoral!")

Anyway, even though they never showed up to protest, we had a great time there. Some people passed around flowers, we danced, and had a lot of fun. We deliberately sought to make it a non-protest counter-protest. Basically, it was a love-in.

So I don't know if you might be able to do something similar. They thrive on true counter-protests and the hate toward them--so show up, but don't pay attention to them. Just have a love-in with similarly nonsense signs to combat their nonsense signs. But you might need permission from the events coordinator or something like that--so make sure you know where your boundaries are.

Other campus protests have played the Rick Roll loudly on a boombox, others threw hamburgers at them (not advised, but still hilarious). Check YouTube for some videos.

I heard about a school did a similar thing as part of the counter protest to the WBC. I can't remember where this happened, it was an incident in which a high school put on a production of The Laramie Project and the WBC picketed the event and people actually pleaded to donate money anytime one of the WBC members said something over a bullhorn. The money that was collected was donated to GLTB organization.

I think it was right to collect for a gay charity and a Catholic charity. Catholics can face discrimination quite for various reasons.

It looks as if Prof Wilson is tenured so she doesn't have to worry about her job. I think what she's doing is really gutsy, though for the life of me, I can't figure out why she'd want to do this.

And OP: Miami is beautiful, especially in the fall. I envy your going there. Too bad Shirley's god won't let her appreciate it.

After reading this, she sounds even more ignorant. Shirley Phelps is not going to come together and learn from anyone. I've been following Fred Phelps since you were probably a baby. The people of WBC are extremists. They are crazy.

I thought they were going to protest your school. They protested my high school in either 2009 or 2010, I can't remember which year now. Yeah, they can be quite a nuisance.

Shirley is a smart cookie. It's a racket, she knows it. They've profited from it for years. This will provide more income for the WBC. I doubt the Prof will get any satisfaction. These guys are hostage takers and shouldn't be engaged at all. I don't for a minute think that Shirley and Fred believe any of it. The others don't strike me as very smart and they probably do believe all the crap they spew, but for Fred and Shirl, I think they just see the lawsuit angle and they're just out there grinding out a living.

I hate to give them the attention and the legitimate pulpit. I REALLY hate that she's likely being paid for the honor. That being said, I'd totally go. Teh krayzee is fun to watch!

The best counter protest sign I ever saw was a pic on the internet a few years ago when they were protesting a soldiers funeral. It said "I was going to accept jesus as my savior but then I saw you and want no part!"

Shirley is a smart cookie. It's a racket, she knows it. They've profited from it for years. This will provide more income for the WBC. I doubt the Prof will get any satisfaction. These guys are hostage takers and shouldn't be engaged at all. I don't for a minute think that Shirley and Fred believe any of it. The others don't strike me as very smart and they probably do believe all the crap they spew, but for Fred and Shirl, I think they just see the lawsuit angle and they're just out there grinding out a living.

I have wondered the same things about Shirley and her father. When the Phelps children were young, Fred would make the kids pick up dirt and rub it all over their faces to look poor. Then he'd make them sell candy. This all could be a racket to make money. But then I have also followed everything that Nate Phelps has ever said, and I lean towards Fred and his daughter being delusional crackpots.

It looks as if Prof Wilson is tenured so she doesn't have to worry about her job. I think what she's doing is really gutsy, though for the life of me, I can't figure out why she'd want to do this.

Maybe she doesn't know the level of this family's crazy, and only knows what she reads about their picketing. There's so much more. Fred Phelps brutally abused his kids and also beat his wife. Once he chopped off his wife's hair because she wasn't submissive enough. His wife did leave him once but she couldn't support all the kids on her own.

I heard about a school did a similar thing as part of the counter protest to the WBC. I can't remember where this happened, it was an incident in which a high school put on a production of The Laramie Project and the WBC picketed the event and people actually pleaded to donate money anytime one of the WBC members said something over a bullhorn. The money that was collected was donated to GLTB organization.

I think it was right to collect for a gay charity and a Catholic charity. Catholics can face discrimination quite for various reasons.

Ol' Fred makes a point to picket anywhere anybody is putting on the Laramie Project--he's practically one of the props by this point.

And yep--the WBC spews a lot of anti-Catholic rhetoric. Not anywhere near as much or as badly as he hates on the gays, but the hate is definitely there. I figured that if they show up, the longer they protest the more money we could make for the two charities WBC would detest.

Archived