IGNORED

Books about fundamentalism?

alysee

not sure what you are looking for, there are many subsets of fundie. A few that I think give a decent overview:

Quiverfull: inside the Christian Patriarchy movement, Kathryn Joyce

-discusses many of our favorite characters.

Mine Eyes Have seen the Glory: a journey into the evangelical subculture of America, Randall Balmer

On the Backroad to Heaven: Old Order Hutterites, Mennonites, Amish, and Brethren, Donald Kraybill (the godfather of books on the Plain anabaptists, anything by him is pretty good)

Well again, it's all Christian fundamentalism, but if you want something like a critical look at the vision Forum crowd and the stuff we snark on here, then read the Quiverfull book.

Quiverfull: Inside the Christian Patriarchy Movement by Joyce is a must-read for anyone interested in Christian fundamentalism as it exists in today's world. I first heard about it when I lurked on this forum. Being foreign and having never lived in the USA, I have extra difficulties understanding these Jesus-based fundie trends. This book was everything I needed to know to get a comprehensive and in-depth look at this particular and very pecular world.

So I fully second this recommendation!

Edited for clarity's sake.

I recommend Kevin Roose's The Unlikely Disciple. Kevin was a liberal, agnostic Brown University student who decided to attend Liberty University undercover for a semester. The results are both insightful and amusing. I also recommend Frank Schaeffer's Crazy for God. Frank's dad, Francis Schaeffer, was one of the architects of the Religious Right, and he grew up as fundie royalty. He later left fundamentalism altogether, but his book will give you a lot of insight into the movement. There are some fun and interesting tidbits about Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, James Dobson, and other "leaders" as well.

• 2 years later...

I just finished reading "Out of the Cocoon: A Young Woman's Courageous Flight from the Grip of a Religious Cult." The author, Brenda Lee, grew up in a Jehovah's Witness family. The book is about her life and eventual escape from her family and church.

I am about to purchase "The Unlikely Disciple."

Edited to fix spelling.

I recommend reading "Under the Banner of Heaven" which gives an in depth look at the Morman church, its history, and the fundamental sects therein.

One that's on my reading list is I Fired God: My Life Inside--and Escape From--the Secret World of the Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Cult by Jocelyn Zichterman. A friend of mine just finished it and said it was excellent and infuriating (she should probably become an FJer!); I'm really looking forward to reading it soon. Has anyone else read this one yet?

I haven't read that one yet Lizziesmom. Thanks for sharing. Have you read the "Witness Wore Red?"

I had a polygamy / FLDS "season" a few months ago. :) I read "Stolen Innocence," "Escape,""Church of Lies," "Fifty Years in Polygamy: Big Secrets and Little White Lies,"and "Daughters of Zion: My Family's Conversions to Polygamy."

Also, I would like to recommend "Fake Someone Happy: The true story of the damaged daughters of American patriarchy and their emotional abuse." Which has its own thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18502 .

I would like to learn more about the Jewish religion. So if anyone has a recommendation please post it? :) I recently read "Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots."

I am always looking for new books to read!

mrs: I have not read Witness Wore Red. Right now I have a boatload of books I got for Christmas (mostly non fiction) to work through before I return to the fundamentalist subject. I will share with you that it made me very, very, angry when I read it.

It sounds like you have read quite a few books on fundies. I would also recommend "American Fascists" by Chris Hedges if you haven't read it. It's pretty chilling to see his predictions coming true in parts of our country.

One that's on my reading list is I Fired God: My Life Inside--and Escape From--the Secret World of the Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Cult by Jocelyn Zichterman. A friend of mine just finished it and said it was excellent and infuriating (she should probably become an FJer!); I'm really looking forward to reading it soon. Has anyone else read this one yet?

I will be adding this to my list as well as "American Fascists."

You should invite her to FJ!

IMHO the best book about the founding of the Mormon church is "No Man Knows My History" published in the 1940's by former member Fawn Brodie. It's well researched and foot-noted. A real eye opener.

I just finished reading "Out of the Cocoon: A Young Woman's Courageous Flight from the Grip of a Religious Cult." The author, Brenda Lee, grew up in a Jehovah's Witness family. The book is about her life and eventual escape from her family and church.

I am about to purchase "The Unlikely Disciple."

Edited to fix spelling.

Interesting to see you're reading about JWs - I also am, I'm reading a book 「ドアã®å‘ã“ã†ã®ã‚«ãƒ«ãƒˆã€("the cult at the door") by ä½è—¤å…¸é›… (Sato Norimasa). It's a Japanese book, ordinarily I wouldn't mention it here but...

...interesting thing about it is so much of it takes place in the US.

There are JWs in Japan, and yes, they go door to door and they pass out their pamphlets and the whole bit (the main magazine is 「もã®ã¿ã®å¡”ã€("monomi no tou" which just means "watch tower")).

But this guy, his dad was a banker at the international division of a Japanese bank and so the family lives in California in the 80's. Specifically they move to the Los Angeles area. Where Mom gets sucked into the JWs, but...

...it's JAPANESE JWs. Yep, apparently there were enough JWs in LA in the 80's for them to have a whole organization of specifically Japanese-speaking Japanese-system JWs. They would go through the phone book looking up Japanese names to try to find victims.

Anyway, halfway off topic surely but that just kinda boggled my mind! :pink-shock:

I never let those people in (in Japan OR here!) and so now reading this book I'm actually finding out some of just what they believe.

Archived