IGNORED

17 Year Old Sent to 'Pray Away the Gay' Camp

iweartanktops

22 hours ago, Howl said:

That sounds kinda Catholic, but I'm betting the boarding school in East Texas is Baptist.  Off to see if i can find the name of the boarding facility. 

And this guy seems like a real shitbag (Mr. Patrick VonDolen, the guy representing this family association in the news report).

I really resent that he implies gay people's family values are somehow lesser than his vaunted Christian ones.

This poor young woman. I am so glad she has family members who are willing to step up for her. 17 is almost an adult, and her parents have no right to have her locked up.

4 hours ago, Iamhispurity said:

These are their warning signs...

image.png

Most of this sounds like *just being a fucking teenager*! I shudder to think that fundie and fundie-light parents are locking their kids up not only for being gay, but for just exhibiting behaviors that are part of normal adolescence.

Their desire for control and instant obedience and a cheerful demeanor 24/7 is pathological.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Texas.  Living up to its reputation.  Just secede and leave the rest of us alone.  Take Mississippi, Alabama and the rest of those shitholes with you.  I hope Sarah's okay, that poor young woman.  If I find any additional information I'll post it here. 

What we need is to unite and fight for change. I love the beauty that is Alabama. I refuse to see it go to these theocrats without a fight.

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

https://www.heartlightministries.org/2016/02/teen-girls-and-sexual-identity-2/

Sure sounds like they think they can pray away the bad gay

Agree.  This guy has ostensibly "counseled" many, many girls and he can't bring himself to face the fact that most or all of them have deep same sex attraction?  It isn't a fad, or loneliness, or identity or acting out -- it's who they are.  Although he counsels parents to maintain lines of communication and love their daughters, there's an unspoken bottom line there that the girls will "come around" to be a good heterosexual Christian daughters. 

3 hours ago, paganbaby said:

A few years ago, there was a similar case. A teen posted on My Space (as I said, a few years ago) that he was being sent to such a place. His friends showed up at the "ministry" and stood across the street with signs encouraging him to stay strong and reminding him he wasn't alone. The story went viral. The ministry no longer exists, and the guy who ran it now admits it was misguided. Googling isn't pulling up the story for me yet.

ETA: It was "Love in Action":

http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/2016/05/29/72715

This is a great story.  Thanks for sharing.  The update regarding the Executive Director is not surprising to me; "those that doth protest too much" and all, but really wish there was an update on Zach and how he's doing.

2 hours ago, 19TrollsandCounting said:

I also wouldnt be surprised If Gothard and IBLP are associated with them

Don't know my Texas geography at all but is Heartland anywhere near Big Sandy?

8 hours ago, Iamhispurity said:

"no longer veiling their feelings"..The fact that these people think young adults should not be expressing their needs and wants is highly worrying to me..

9 hours ago, Iamhispurity said:

image.png

"...threats of suicide, or self-mutilation/cutting..." 

Ostracizing them and sending them off to an isolated camp is the absolute WORST way to handle someone already struggling like this emotionally :( 

32 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Interestingly yes, they are a little less than 30 miles apart; both on Highway 80.

39 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

@Tim-Tom Biblethumper, you nailed it.  But remember, this is part of the Bible Belt; there are churches, church camps and similar everywhere.  Also, I can't find a statement of faith on the Heartlight Web site.  I wouldn't think they have any Gothard influence.  

10 minutes ago, Howl said:

@Tim-Tom Biblethumper, you nailed it.  But remember, this is part of the Bible Belt; there are churches, church camps and similar everywhere.  Also, I can't find a statement of faith on the Heartlight Web site.  I wouldn't think they have any Gothard influence.  

True dat!  I noticed there's a Methodist and Pentecostal church on either side of Heartlight too.

59 minutes ago, Othello said:

Ostracizing them and sending them off to an isolated camp is the absolute WORST way to handle someone already struggling like this emotionally :( 

I  missed that..my sister cut herself I doubt she would have stopped by being sent away and being under those sorts of conditions..

Cutters can and will find ways to release their pain....

My paper reports that the girl is home with her family now.  There's a possibility that she didn't know any of this media storm was going on; communications and computer access were restricted at Heartlight.  Really hoping this all turns out well for her in the end, although it can't be fun at home. Too bad this family can't get real counseling, and not the bible based counseling approach I'm sure her parents believe in. 

11 hours ago, Othello said:

Instead of, you know, getting them MEDICAL help.

4 hours ago, smittykins said:

Instead of, you know, getting them MEDICAL help.

***GASP!!!*** Like the stuff that Big Pharma pushes, to better mind-control people and make it easier to establish the New World Order?:pb_rollseyes:

On June 8, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Destiny said:

Poor thing. If I had any money, I would send it.

Why are these "facilities" not illegal?

Because in this country, religious beliefs (if they are of the right type) are sacrosanct.  So, boarding school/therapy camp/ and other bs like that are not interfered with until someone dies or is severely injured.  No one wants to interfere with religion.

8 hours ago, Howl said:

My paper reports that the girl is home with her family now.  There's a possibility that she didn't know any of this media storm was going on; communications and computer access were restricted at Heartlight.  Really hoping this all turns out well for her in the end, although it can't be fun at home. Too bad this family can't get real counseling, and not the bible based counseling approach I'm sure her parents believe in. 

That scares me as much as the prayawaycamp. Her 'family' wants to make her into someone she is not.  How long til she's 18 y'all?

Entertainment Weekly is also reporting that she's back with the parents because of the controversy. (They picked up on it because of Jeremy Jordan.)

I'm sure this story got so much traction and attention because of his celebrity, which is such a good thing. Even if she's back with the parents which has got to suck, I'm glad she's at least out of that place.

Someone who apparently went there wrote a statement on his FB and shared it on the executive directors page

https://www.facebook.com/mark.gregston?fref=ts

"I would just like to say that it deeply saddens me that media chooses to bash a facility that changed my life for the best--maybe even saved it. As someone who ACTUALLY KNOWS what the Heartlight is like I can say with confidence that its goal is not to "fix" who you are. Though personal experience, Heartlight Ministries' provides all of its residents with a safe environment to work through any emotional damages they may have. They also work with the residents' families in order to build healthy and understanding relationships to return home to. Yes, this is a very emotional and difficult time for the teens that have been taken out of their comfort zones-- away from friends and family-- but the lifelong relationships and skills I learned through my time there was well worth it. For someone to suggest that this program aims to alter her sexuality is unbelievable. It is even more sad that she will not receive to help her loved ones believed she needed. It is truly a missed opportunity on her part... "

I looked carefully for a Statement of Faith on the Heartlight Ministries Web site, and found nothing specific.  HOWEVER, there is a Young Life component to this set up. From the history page, 

Heartlight is a combination of a camp atmosphere in the intensity of therapy that is immersed in relationships. Young Life’s influence can be felt in all activities.

I googled 'Young Life + critical reviews' and came up with a lot of comments from concerned parents whose children were caught up in Young Life on college campuses, and were becoming alienated from their families. However, a lot of reviews for the high school Young Life clubs sound as though they are non denominational and didn't really push the religious aspect.  (Students who were atheists attended and enjoyed the activities, and just ignored the 10 or so minutes of religious focus at the end).  If you want to check out Young Life, the link is here: https://www.younglife.org

It sounds as though Young Life gives kids something to do out of school in small towns.  After driving from Central Texas to Colorado, through parts of northwest Texas and New Mexico, you have to wonder what the heck kids are up to in these very small, isolated towns.  

The teen version that is equivalent to the 'counseling center' Joshie went to. A place for 'good Christian families' to send those who do not fit in their mold and threaten their image.

So called Christians being duped by other so called Christians, at a steep price, so they can all pretend they're doing good for someone. 

Archived