IGNORED

Scott Brown is worried: "men are finished."

Marian the Librarian

The ebil wimminfolk are winning the power struggle of dominance between the sexes! But never fear, Scott has scheduled a manly father-son retreat to restore the "glorious and beautiful order."

scottbrownonline.com/

Do we really need to hear the same anti-feminist crap for the gazillionth time? *headbanger icon*

I would rather wish that I could be secure in the fact that Scott Brown was finished

Women now earn the majority of college degrees. Men play video games. Women thrive in information-age jobs. Men go to prison. Women hold families together. Men watch football.â€

He is quoting Slate. I am not certain why not playing video games is a mark of adulthood. Who decided video games are bad or childish? I enjoy playing games with my kids, including video games. I also like football. Guess, I'm not a true woman.

If that is what Slate Magazine wrote than it is an overly broad statement that I disagree with.

Society has correctly diagnosed a wide-spread disease in the American culture: boys remaining as boys well into “adulthood.†There appears to be a power struggle for dominance between the sexes (which women seem to have won). However, God is raising up a generation that loves and declares biblical, God-ordained manhood and womanhood – a glorious and beautiful order which is a picture of the gospel

How do men loose if women can compete with them? Are men so fragile that they fall apart if their wives hold jobs or work more than they do?

My guess is that the problem isn't that women outnumber men in college. In the past, some people were able to make a decent living without going to college first. That is changing. In America we need a system to help kids get training in jobs that don't require a degree.

This woman watches football.

I do wish Scott and the men like him would disappear.

Count me in as a football watching woman as well. And I drink beer while doing it... which I'm sure would make Scott's head spin right off his head and explode. Also, I too wonder what the hell the difference is between anaconda hunting and watching football though. I'd much rather my husband watch a couple of hours of football each weekend (with me I might add) then head off on a "manly" trip that serves no purpose.

Scott and his ilk will never understand that men like him ARE the problem!

These types ignore the fact it's not a personality thing, it's a late capitalism thing. You cannot make an argument about the changing roles of men and women without at least factoring in economics.

The manly men jobs in manufacturing etc have gone to countries where we don't have to worry about unions, a living wage or health and safety. That was always going to happen. So men who would have filled these jobs and aren't college material no longer have that option. God has nowt to do with it.

The other side of this is that women in "developed nations", through various gains made, are proving themselves to be as smart and capable as men and not the brainless little dollies they have been made out to be throughout history. Some men feel very threatened by this and pull the God card. Also to do with capitalism, but I am trying not to write an essay here.

I don't get how it is somehow a battle of the sexes. If it was, by every factor women would still be losing. I also seriously doubt women are sat around going "ahahaha, I want my husband to sit around playing video games all day so I can prove to him I win at life by having a job working 12 hour shifts at the Kwik-emart".

Shorter: fundies are daft.

From the article:

Society has correctly diagnosed a wide-spread disease in the American culture: boys remaining as boys well into “adulthood.â€

Oh, you mean like young men living at home with their parents and umpteen siblings and not getting married? Young men who have to meet an unrealistic standard before they're allowed to ask some girl's father for her hand? Young men who aren't expected to do domestic chores like cooking, laundry, etc because that's what their parents have their sisters for?

Or the more general problem of fundie parents keeping their children at home well past the age when others have moved out and had adult lives?

From the article:

Oh, you mean like young men living at home with their parents and umpteen siblings and not getting married? Young men who have to meet an unrealistic standard before they're allowed to ask some girl's father for her hand? Young men who aren't expected to do domestic chores like cooking, laundry, etc because that's what their parents have their sisters for?

Or the more general problem of fundie parents keeping their children at home well past the age when others have moved out and had adult lives?

Oh, snap!

I love football. And I make more $$$ than my husband right now. We compete with eachother and cooperate with eachother. It's good for both of us. As far as I can tell, my success has not caused dh to regress. Quite the opposite. I think we continuously learn from each other, which has helped us both become more successful. I guess I'm a mighty fine helpmeet afterall.

I think fundie gender roles actually keep both men and women in a perpetual child-like state, as desertvixon so snarkily pointed out. The fundie woman plays mommy to an overgrown toddler. Coddling his ego, indulging his whims, cleaning up after him, etc. The fundie man plays daddy to a sheltered, naive, intellectually-stunted little princess. Making decisions for her, thinking for her, keeping her from any personal growth whatsoever. It's all so demented.

Women out number men at colleges because women are more likely to hold a job that requires a college degree. I'm sure that will change in the near future with manufacturing jobs continually going overseas. But, if it doesn't then, so what? Why can't more women get degrees than men? Why can't women earn more money than their husbands? Are men so weak and fragile that they'll just whither on the spot if their wives earn more or have a degree? Why can't people just do what makes them happy in life? Why are we expected to box ourselves into narrow minded gender roles? Every family should do what works best for them.

Right now, I work while my husband stays home and cares for our son and then goes to class in the evening. Once he gets his degree, he'll get a job, but he'll never make as much money as I do because his chosen profession does not pay as much as mine pays. He chose his major because it was a field that interested him. He felt that being happy with his profession was more important than some silly income competition with me. And you know what? I'm glad. He only gets one life. Why spend it being miserable? We do what makes us happy. Scott can kiss my ass.

I am going to spend the afternoon in a BAR, drinking BEER, eating chicken wings and nachos and whatever else looks tasty at any given time, and to watch FOOTBALL. I am going with a friend of mine, who also happens to be a WOMAN. And who, like me, also happens to have a college degree (damn us evil women getting those degrees instead of leaving them to the real men).

And, as he laments more women than men with college degrees, why does he promote stupid shit like College Plus and Dougie internships over actual college educations for his little men in his little world? How many Dougie & Scott Brown boys have attended collegte or received a degree to 'up' those numbers?

The women in the real world are given more respect and trust than the so called men in his world. Real world women are encouraged to attend college to learn to do whatever it is they want to do. Dougie & Scott's boys are encouraged to burrow deeper into the church, insult what is 'worldly' and become manly men. Their choice. I'm glad real world women outnumber their kind of man boys.

I hope men like Scott Brown are finished. Men like him are kept in a childlike state just as much as the women. Maybe because even if they are fortunate enough in that society to be born with a penis, they still can only do what their daddies deem acceptable. More things for fundie men are acceptable than for fundie women, but still, they're not allowed to do as much as then average man.

Women still have to fight and work a bit harder than men just to be taken seriously. It wasn't all that long ago that people of either gender didn't *need* a college degree for a decent job. Women figured out that to get a leg up, they'd better have one, and I don't think men have quite caught up to that yet.

I do understand the criticism of video games, though. My husband plays them, and (usually), they are just another form of entertainment for him that he's able to integrate into his life around the other activities he enjoys. I do know some guys though that are addicts - like gamer-funk, play all the time, no social skills, etc. Those guys make me sad - not because games are so bad, but because their lives are so limited. I think, though, that some of the "video game addicts" are masking other issues in their lives, such as depression. Instead of self-medicating with alcohol, they self-medicate with the games, and that's sad to me.

In a slightly different vein, I do not find the VF/NCFIC vision of "manhood" to be all that attractive. Give me a decent, hard-working, loyal, sports-watching, laundry-doing, beer-drinking man like my husband or my dad or my uncle or my brother-in-law or their buddies any day over some pipsqueak patriarse with a god complex.

I love football. And I make more $$$ than my husband right now. We compete with eachother and cooperate with eachother. It's good for both of us. As far as I can tell, my success has not caused dh to regress. Quite the opposite. I think we continuously learn from each other, which has helped us both become more successful. I guess I'm a mighty fine helpmeet afterall.

I think fundie gender roles actually keep both men and women in a perpetual child-like state, as desertvixon so snarkily pointed out. The fundie woman plays mommy to an overgrown toddler. Coddling his ego, indulging his whims, cleaning up after him, etc. The fundie man plays daddy to a sheltered, naive, intellectually-stunted little princess. Making decisions for her, thinking for her, keeping her from any personal growth whatsoever. It's all so demented.

This. If Scotty & friends would train their boys to actually do something (i.e. get them into a service academy not role play in military costumes, teach them hard science, art, music etc and make them fit for jobs that can change the world) then maybe he would be worth listening to. As it is, he is raising weak indentured servants who are going to be the new Amish in a couple generations (although the Amish at least have useful skills like making cheese and whoopie pie and furniture).

Oh poor oppressed devout white christian men. My heart bleeds for them. :roll:

Women still have to fight and work a bit harder than men just to be taken seriously.

The income gap in this country between men and women in the US is horrible. We are ranked down in like the mid-fifties or sixties. There are 2nd world countries that have smaller income gaps than we do. :oops:

This. If Scotty & friends would train their boys to actually do something (i.e. get them into a service academy not role play in military costumes, teach them hard science, art, music etc and make them fit for jobs that can change the world) then maybe he would be worth listening to. As it is, he is raising weak indentured servants who are going to be the new Amish in a couple generations (although the Amish at least have useful skills like making cheese and whoopie pie and furniture).

WHOOPIE PIES!!!! I prefer shoefly, but only a small piece as its so sweet.MY DH doesn't watch football,but he makes up for it by having season tickets for hockey. He also coached/played hockey,fixed a flat on his car and changed the brakes on my van today,very manly stuff.

It makes me mad when fundies have this indignation that women are going to college and taking jobs that----gasp! men could be doing!. The insinuation that women who EARNED those positions are "taking" those jobs and college spots is extremely offensive. Of course, they get away with their indignation by saying that women got those jobs and college spots through affirmative action and such.

For me, I don't see what the value is in those vision forum trained men. Who wants a guy who can't cook or clean? Who requires a woman to constantly stroke their ego? Who is threatened by a woman who makes more money or has more education? Is that really a catch? Heck, if one of those vision forum men married me (god forbid), I'd feel like I'm doing THEM a favor. After all, I can bring a good income into the family. AND I can cook and clean. I can live independently and not need a man in order to survive. I can't say the same for these domestically challenged men.

It makes me mad when fundies have this indignation that women are going to college and taking jobs that----gasp! men could be doing!.

I took a class on women and labor history in the US (dealing also with the unpaid work that women contributed to households as well as actual waged work), and I was surprised to see how long this old saw had been going around. Make all the women quit, then the men can have their jobs. Except it didn't take into account those factors like a) jobs women do for low wages because they're deemed not "important" (day care workers come to mind here) or b) jobs that employers preferred to have women do because they could pay them less than men.

Of course, they all hate my career field (military) which lets women wear pants and boss men around. Not to mention the fact that a man and woman who meet the same qualifications (time in service, rank, special quals) make an equal salary, I didn't have to worry about losing my job when I was pregnant/on maternity leave, I actually HAD guaranteed maternity leave, and the fact that I wouldn't have been penalized if I'd had a rough pregnancy health-wise and needed to miss work. It's got its issues, but it seems better than what's on the outside a lot of the time.

For me, I don't see what the value is in those vision forum trained men. Who wants a guy who can't cook or clean? Who requires a woman to constantly stroke their ego? Who is threatened by a woman who makes more money or has more education? Is that really a catch? Heck, if one of those vision forum men married me (god forbid), I'd feel like I'm doing THEM a favor. After all, I can bring a good income into the family. AND I can cook and clean. I can live independently and not need a man in order to survive. I can't say the same for these domestically challenged men.

ITA with this.

If by "men" he means "adult human males who restrict every aspect of the lives of their wives and children, pimping off daughters and using sons as free labor ALL FOR JEEEEEEZUS" then good fucking riddance.

Is this the same creep who tried to pimp off his daughters to his constituency? Wonder what his girls are up to these days?

I'm not sure about him pimping out his daughters, but they are currently married off and producing arrows for their husbands' quivers. Kelly Brown is married to Peter Bradrick and just had her 4th child in 4 years (complete with post-partum bleeding and lifeflight to the hospital, yah-some :roll: ). Blair Brown was married to 17-year-old Taylor Tsantles last year and they just had their first child.

Why are these guys so scared of us? Why do they feel the need to control us? What is it that we women have that so intimidates these men? If we are smart and talented why on earth shouldn't we use those gifts for the greater benefit of society? Do you really want a doctor who otherwise wouldn't have been accepted into medical school just because he's a man? That's what's going to happen if we take all the women out of the work-force and return them to the home.

Lots of questions, but I really want to know why I am so damn intimidating (might come in useful some day) :lol:

Re: college degrees.

Did I miss something along the way? Is there only a finite amount of degrees that can be handed out, which makes teh eebil wymmen to blame for stealing them from the much more deserving men?

I find it amusing that this ilk of religious conservatives, who claim to be so in favor of capitalism with its competitive factor which supposedly weeds out the poor performers, are so afraid of being challenged by women in the marketplace. If women are so inferior in their executive functioning, as their theology seems to suggest, they should have nothing to worry about ;)

Archived