IGNORED

Vegan Recipes

Marianne

I will host in my home muslim friends. They eat only hallal meat : it's to expensive for me. So, I told them : "we will eat vegetarian !" I know how to make normal meal without meat (with my wage... :? ), but I would make a truth great meal : aperitif - starter - main course - another main course - dessert - coffee (it's a lot but the meal will last during all night and I can eat a small amount of food at a time, so that is best for me.). I do not have any recipe ideas that is in my budget.

So, I'm looking for cheap vegetarian recipes :)

Just, I will answer at your responses only Saturday or Sunday because I'm going somewhere without internet.

A mushroom and leek risotto with a variety of mushrooms is yummy. I sauté some oyster mushrooms in butter to serve on top if I'm serving it to company, it looks nice and can be either an entree or a main.

Caramelised onion tarts are a nice veggie entree - just make sure that if you buy frozen pastry it isn't made with animal fats. Crumbed, deep fried Brie with cranberry or another sweet/tart dipping sauce is very yummy if you want to be decedent.

Vegetarian meals are usually pretty cheap, far cheaper than their meat counterparts if you don't use expensive meat substitutes. If you do want to use a protein substitute and stay within budget then tofu is probably your best bet - it's cheap and very versatile.

Do you have a middle eastern grocer nearby though? I've found them to be pretty cheap, sometimes their halal neat is cheaper than the supermarket.

Mushrooms and leeks risottos it can be very good, yes, especially since it is the season for mushrooms on the market. I keep this idea because I love it too.

I thought making a pies as starter. Not onion, because I don't love it :/ Make the dough myself will surely cheaper because I have 9 pounds of flour bio at home !

In fact, there is 2 place to buy hallal meat : the arabic grocer ou the supermaket. The supermaket is too expensive. The arabic grosser is not sure : a Muslim neighbor told me that we were not sure of the source / quality of meat. We had a lot of food scandal here (horse meat instead of beef) ans I'm very fussy about the quality of products: I want to be sure where they come from --"

tabouleh is a good salad for serving company.

Dessert is easy, vanilla ice cream with a fruit puree on top. Seasonal berries cooked in a little water, sugar, and lemon juice, then cooled to use.

You can take puff pastry, line it with a thickened béchamel, and on top put something like tomatoes or even asparagus. Into the oven and you have a beautiful tart. If you are interested in a recipe, let me know and I will post a link.

Dried figs, cut in half, stuffed with Roquefort and a piece of walnut on top works as an appetizer.

Stuff tomatoes with rice, pine nuts, dill, mint, and raisins. This dish goes in the oven. I can give a recipe.

Eggplant parmesan is cheap and delicious. Eggplants are quite cheap now and a big one can feed at least 3 people when made into parm. Remember to salt the raw slices and let them drain/blot with paper towels for half an hour to remove excess moisture and bitterness.

Zucchini soup!

I make it with a bunch of chopped zucchini, some onion, bouillon, and sometimes potatoes with water to cover. Boil them all together and then blend until smooth.

Nice and creamy! We make this soup once a week, sometimes adding lentils and carrots.

Some vegetables ( pumpkin, carrot, parsnip, potato, zucchini/squash ) roasted, mix with a light white sauce, in an oven dish, and put some puff pastry over the top. Brush the pastry with a bit of egg or milk and put it in the oven until golden.

When I'm feeding vegetarians or vegans I often make Indian food, like a big potato and chickpea curry with a sauce based on coconut milk and tomato. And yummy sides like rice, naan, sag aloo, onion bhajis, etc.

Check out a website called My New Roots. I often make her black bean beauty burgers, black bean and sweet potato soup, raw tacos (they're soooo much better than they sound!), and poppyseed butternut squash with kale.

One of my family's favorite meals is cabbage and rice. You chop and sauté cabbage and a little onion, when done add cooked rice and soy sauce to taste. You can also scramble an egg or 2 in there. It's very cheap, maybe 2$ for all of it. Makes a ton too!

• 2 weeks later...

One of my standby's is a salad with beets and goat cheese (you can also add candied walnuts to this if you want). If you're going with cheese, check with your guests about whether they're ok with you using a cheese made with animal rennet, or if they would prefer one with vegetarian rennet. As a vegetarian who eats all types of cheese, I've had other vegetarians curl their lip at me and tell me I'm not really a vegetarian because I eat both types. Lilith's risotto idea sounded delicious. Oh, and for dessert you could make pavlova.

• 2 years later...

A place where we can share non animal-product recipes :)  

Perfect!

eta: I need to try to organize my thoughts a little and then come back to this. I'm stupidly excited though!

I got a rare "Mompliment"  text from the ex vegan, now veggie, adult son a few weeks ago, asking for my Veef Stroganoff recipe.  Apparently, he misses "home cooking."

Here goes:

Cook your noodles (I like wide ones, but any will do, whole wheat, whatever).

While the noodles are cooking, add a little olive oil to a skillet, heat it up to medium high and add your Veef.  (I think we used Fry's or another similar brand.)  I also added sliced onions and mushrooms at this point, sauteed, added a little white wine and garlic.  Stir, stir.

Right before you incorporate everything, add in about a cup or so of Tofutti sour cream to the Veef.  Add in the noodles.  Stir, stir.

If you didn't tell anyone, they would swear they were eating the Real Thing.

I've never heard of Veef. I love Tofutti sour cream though!

My favorite vegan food right now is Jackfruit Tamales. We get them already made from a health food store (I can't remember the name of it right now.) They are so delicious. I had a hard time believing it wasn't pork the first time I ate them.

I'm interested in this thread too.  I'm not vegan, and at the moment not even vegetarian (bought some local pork last fall, still have some left), but I'm definitely looking for vegan recipes.  In particular I'm looking for whole food recipes, not so much for fake-meat type stuff, although occasionally I'm open to trying those.

Recently I saw a roasted broccoli recipe that uses mustard sauce (mustard thinned with olive oil and a little vinegar) and feta cheese.  While I love feta, I made the recipe without it, just with the mustard sauce, and I love it!  Have made it several times since.  I really like mustard, and I especially liked that it didn't involve any major addition of sugar.

OK, that's just a plain ol' veggie recipe, side dish as opposed to entree, but there's nothing non-vegan about it...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing some great recipes here.  Nom!

Ginger Marinated Chickpeas

4 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or 2 cups dried chickpeas cooked till tender

2 inch piece fresh ginger, grated

1-2 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup minced red onion

juice of 1 lemon, about 3 tablespoons

5 Tbs red wine  vinegar

7 Tbs olive oil

Toss everything together well in a bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.  Refrigerate for 24 hours.  Serve over jasmine or basmati rice.  If you can let it marinate longer, even better.

Spaghetti with Garlic, Olive Oil, and Peas

5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

1.5  cups frozen peas

2 teaspoons dried oregano or Italian seasoning

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 cup olive oil

1 pound spagetti 

Start boiling water for pasta.  In a large skillet or Dutch Oven, gently heat olive oil.  Toss in garlic, spices, salt, pepper and peas and stir till garlic just begins to turn golden.  Turn heat off right away once this happens, you don't want the garlic to burn.  When pasta is ready, drain and then toss in the oil/garlic/herb mixture.  Serves 4-5.

7 hours ago, Kailash said:

My favorite vegan food right now is Jackfruit Tamales. We get them already made from a health food store (I can't remember the name of it right now.) They are so delicious. I had a hard time believing it wasn't pork the first time I ate them.

Oo, I just recently saw a little documentary about a company that uses jackfruit to make vegan "pulled pork." I couldn't believe it, so I am stupidly excited to find an actual person who has tried jackfruit meat substitutes. Wow. Tell me all about it, please!

I'm not even vegetarian anymore, though we still don't cook with meat at home. But I do have a lot of vegan recipes that we make regularly. I'm pretty sure I've shared my favorite vegan chili recipe (with red lentils) somewhere on here (maybe the general recipes thread? or something specifically about chili? not sure), but I'll think of some of my other favorites. Yay for this thread!

9 hours ago, AreteJo said:

Ginger Marinated Chickpeas

Just got the chickpeas out of the cabinet.... this is happening for supper tonight!  Thank you!

@JillyO -there are so many recipes for Jackfruit on pinterest! I plan on trying to make my own, except tamales are time consuming. But there are other recipes using jackfruit too. The texture is very similar to pulled pork. Stringy and moist. It's hard to describe. They are just delicious. I found this : http://www.peta.org/living/food/jackfruit-recipes-that-will-blow-your-mind-and-taste-buds/

Darn it, I have stuff to do!

One reason I wanted a thread like this is because in the archived threads I kept seeing people saying things like "I'd be vegan but I love cheese so much." In my experience, it has been really easy to leave cheese behind, because I dropped it cold turkey. So I'm not comparing "fake" cheese to real cheese, really. (I don't actually like dairy cheese or "fake" cheese much anyway.) The longer I go without dairy creamer, the better the coconut creamer tastes to me. Same for ice cream. Does that make sense? I feel like people make it harder on themselves by not giving it up entirely, if that's their ultimate goal. Thoughts?

CARROT AND BEET SALAD MOROCCAN STYLE

5 large carrots, raw and peeled

2 medium beets, raw and peeled

juice of 2 lemons, about 4 Tbsp

4 TBSP Olive Oil

1/2 teaspoon Harissa or 1/4 teaspoon Chinese chili paste

1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped

salt and pepper to tastw

Grate the peeled, raw carrots and beets using a food processor with grater attachment or hand grate with a box grater.   Put in mint leaves with the grated carrots and beets.  In a separate bowl, whisk together chili paste, mustard, lemon juice and olive oil.  Adjust the dressing with salt and pepper.  Pour dressing over grate vegetables and mint.  Mix salad to distribute dressing.  Refrigerate for 1 hour then serve.

• 1 month later...

A vegan brand that a friend turned me on to is Field Roast, & they make vegan sausages/hotdogs/sliced deli "meats". I've loved all of their products I've tried thus far, & their hotdog is the closest I've come to tasting a meat one.

I've also tried Gardein & Morning Star, & those are excellent brands, too.

Archived