IGNORED

Refugee team in this summer's Olympics

PennySycamore

I just read this story on Upworthy about how a team made up of refugees from various countries will compete under the Olympic flag at this summer Olympic Games.  The IOC (International Olympic Committee) will provide the refugee athletes with scholarships to deal with any expenses they incur -training expenses, equipment, flight to and from Rio, etc.  Two of the athletes are two girls from Syria who had to swim when the boat they were taking to Lesbos started to sink.  

http://www.upworthy.com/for-the-first-time-ever-refugees-will-make-up-an-entire-team-at-the-olympic-games?c=upw1

That's really cool. I don't generally pay too much attention to the summer Olympics (I prefer watching winter sports if I watch any at all) but it's nice that people who have lost so, so much are being given the chance to be a part of something like this.

22 minutes ago, ExLuther said:

The olympics should have been in Chicago

I wish that the IOC would select a set of permanent host cities so that all the infrastructure would not have to be built anew every four years.

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I wish that the IOC would select a set of permanent host cities so that all the infrastructure would not have to be built anew every four years.

I hear what you are saying, but building that infrastructure can be an impetus to transform parts of the host city. This certainly happened in London in 2012 - I grew up near where the Olympic Park was built, and that whole area was so desolate, and most buildings were derelict.

Not only was the site developed, but the public transport infrastructure improved, and a new shopping mall developed, which brought some much needed permanent employment to the area.

London was also quite clever using existing locations, such as Greenwich Park for all horse related events, Horseguard's Parade for the beach volleyball, Lord's Cricket Ground for archery and shooting,Eton Dorney for the rowing, Hyde Park and the Serpentine for the triathlon and the Millenium Dome for gymnastics.

Archived