IGNORED

Justice Antonin Scalia Dead at 79

Alicja

On 2/17/2016 at 4:11 PM, EmmieJ said:

He was 79 years old and probably quite sedentary (by the looks of him).  It is not surprising at all that his heart just stopped working.  A friend of mine passed away in her sleep a couple of years ago, and she was only 59.  She had been in a serious car accident many years prior which resulted in injury to her jaw, which made it hard to eat solid foods.  I think that may have made her more fragile overall, but ultimately no one could say exactly why her heart just stopped working.  But death by natural causes is not nearly as intriguing as a whole host of conspiracy theories.

A lot of my older male relatives who worked on the farm lived quite long lives.  Grandpa got up to 87 before his health got to the point that he had to retire.  He never smoked and drank sparingly.  And boy he was pissed when he had to move to a retirement center.  I've had other great aunts and uncles who were working up in to their 70s and 80s.   My Grandma's surviving brother and sisters in law are still going pretty good and they're all in their 80s.  I think my dad will be like his dad and not slow down and retire for quite a while.  He's in his late 60s and has shown no signs of slowing down.  He's probably in better health than I am.  (Though I'm in the process of fixing that so I hopefully go as long as Grandpa did).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

A lot of my older male relatives who worked on the farm lived quite long lives.  Grandpa got up to 87 before his health got to the point that he had to retire.  He never smoked and drank sparingly.  And boy he was pissed when he had to move to a retirement center.  I've had other great aunts and uncles who were working up in to their 70s and 80s.   My Grandma's surviving brother and sisters in law are still going pretty good and they're all in their 80s.  I think my dad will be like his dad and not slow down and retire for quite a while.  He's in his late 60s and has shown no signs of slowing down.  He's probably in better health than I am.  (Though I'm in the process of fixing that so I hopefully go as long as Grandpa did).

I think it's a fairly vigorous and healthy lifestyle, living and working the land.  Much harder in some ways, but being out of doors every day, being physical, not necessarily being part of the rat race -- I think that can definitely contribute to a long life.

Archived