IGNORED

Gym Membership Revoked for Wearing Skirt

Idolatry

Orthodox Jew suing after gym membership revoked and threatened with arrest for trespass for wearing a skirt to work out:

(Daily Mail) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... k-out.html

Reminds me of Anna skiing in a freaking denim skirt on 19 Kids. I'm shocked they let her do that, but they probably didn't want a lawsuit like this one.

'Today I went to ‪#‎LucilleRoberts‬ to work out, while wearing a skirt,' she wrote on July 1.

'The woman at the desk told me I couldn't wear it but it doesn't state that in the policy so I told her I was going to wear it.

'I went to join a class that was going on and ten minutes into it the lady at the desk came up and told the instructor to stop the class unless I took off my skirt. I refused so she stopped the class.

'Many of the participants were unhappy but she did not restart the class. So, I left the class to work out on a machine.

'The woman at the desk asks for my name. I give it to her and she comes back to me saying that my membership has been revoked, I am trespassing and must leave.

The gym's response was OOT, in my opinion, unless there's far more to the story. As long as the skirt wasn't overly long or loose (making it more likely to get caught in the equipment), I have no idea how it affected any other gym goers or the gym itself for her to be wearing a skirt. I used to work out in an all-woman gym, and there were a couple (Pentecostal maybe?) women who would come in and work out in knee-length skirts and head coverings. No one ever interfered with them for it.

I live in an area with a large Orthodox Jew population and I see women running on trails in black skirts - mostly they are a little longer than knee length with leggings underneath. I really don't see what the issue is - it's not like she would have been wearing a mini skirt with no panties.

It's the Daily Mail. Who knows what actually happened.

It's the Daily Mail. Who knows what actually happened.

LOL, fair enough. Maybe it was a black diamond ski class or a horseback riding class, and then you need to be wearing some pants for Josh sake. Maybe spin class? You think you can spin in a skirt?

LOL, fair enough. Maybe it was a black diamond ski class or a horseback riding class, and then you need to be wearing some pants for Josh sake. Maybe spin class? You think you can spin in a skirt?

I have a couple of bike shorts with a short skirt attached. Not knee length.

Reminds me of Anna skiing in a freaking denim skirt on 19 Kids. I'm shocked they let her do that, but they probably didn't want a lawsuit like this one.

I once back in the 90's saw a group of teenage fundie girls in long skirts and long johns skiing at the resort I patrolled at. It was their first time skiing and I helped a few of them get up who had fallen. Looked like it put then at a huge tripping risk. Once in a while some of us expert skiers put on tutus over ski pants in the springtime and take pics but we are just being silly.

That doesn't look like a skirt to me. It looks like very baggy sweat pants.

That doesn't look like a skirt to me. It looks like very baggy sweat pants.

As far as I can tell, it a jersey knit skirt over proper running pants (that fit close to the body). Both items are black. None of what she's wearing looks unsafe to me. Hot maybe, but not unsafe. The skirt is too short to really get caught in/on anything. In any case, if the gym wanted to have a problem with her skirt, they should have written it into their official list of rules for attire first.

It doesn't look like a skirt to me, either, but it may be the angle of the photo.

I'm dubious as to the veracity of the Post article saying that the other women were screaming at her... Hard to believe that there were that many bitches on board screaming at her. Really? In most cases, the folks in the class would just remain silent (which is its own problem), but I find it hard to believe that the other participants in the class would just start screaming at her. Normal folks would feel embarrassed to witness it and some bolder ones would speak against such prejudice.

My neighbor works out in knee length exercise skirts and leggings. She actually looks really cute in them. I don't see why this would be a problem.

As long as she's paying her membership fees and nothing she's doing or wearing will cause harm to herself or others (PLENTY of women work out in knee-length skirts with no trouble at all, and she's smarter than the Duggar girls and wears proper footwear in addition to her skirt), leave the poor lady alone. I hope she gets a nice fat settlement at the very least. People can be such dicks.

I'm also thinking there has to be more to this story. It just seems highly unlikely that so many people would get that out of shape over her skirt. If she's telling the complete truth, what happened to her is ridiculous, but the story just doesn't feel like the complete truth to me.

I'm also thinking there has to be more to this story. It just seems highly unlikely that so many people would get that out of shape over her skirt. If she's telling the complete truth, what happened to her is ridiculous, but the story just doesn't feel like the complete truth to me.

Agree!!

Agree!!

I agree as well. Running skirts have been in every major athletic store for years and her photo looks very similar to Athleta's 2in1 pants. (With a longer skirt.) Would it be uncomfortable to take a class in that combination? - probably but I have never tried. However it would be far more safe than what I witnessed this morning - a woman in her mid 30s running on the treadmill in flip flops.

She was probably a pain in the ass in some other way.

Otherwise a local outlet would have picked this up, and not the Daily Fail.

She was probably a pain in the ass in some other way.

Otherwise a local outlet would have picked this up, and not the Daily Fail.

Good point.

This is my guess as to what actually happened:

She had been asked politely to remove the skirt or change, and had possibly been asked multiple times before that. She then showed her proverbial ass in the most dramatic fashion imaginable, possibly threatening others, or being incredibly disruptive at a minimum. Her behavior was what got her membership revoked. The outfit was merely the catalyst. She then sold her story to the Daily Fail and conveniently left out the part where she acted a fool. If I'm wrong, I wholeheartedly apologize and will resign my seat on the internet speculation bandwagon.

It's a women's gym, which somehow makes everything in this story seem even weirder. I thought modesty standards weren't necessarily required in an all female environment.

Also, the outfit seems not completely out of place in a gym. I know some places ban jeans, because of the wear and tear on equipment.

I've been to gyms that banned anything really drapey. That skirt would qualify.

Maybe she was trying to some of the equipment? What it a spin class she was trying to take?

Now here's a cause the Duggars could back and not be assholes purely because they back it. :lol:

There was a woman in a nijab in my hot yoga last week and no one messed with her. That's a miserable hot yoga outfit, and I would probably pass out. Plus, everyone else is in their underwear, including dudes, but whatever.

I live in a superdiverse area where people wear just about anything to the gym. People wear running/tennis/golf skirts skirts and guys wear the revived 90s drop crotch trend, which is pretty much a skirt, all the time.

I can see how that could be dangerous spinning, but the NY Post story said it was a kickboxing class? This makes no sense. I'd love to hear the gym's response.

One of the comments suggested the gym management should have just asked her to sign a waiver in case her clothing caused her injure herself or the equipment. Maybe they did and she refused, who knows.

Archived