IGNORED

Fairies and Pixies and Trolls, oh my!

salex

Another woman chimed in that she had destroyed her garden gnomes / elves when she learned they were evil.... so, there you go. Apparently Facebook is offering me a glimpse into a paralleled universe, because even among the more fundie of my aquaintances, this is a whole new world.

:)

I'm no fan of garden gnomes, so imagine my delight when I found this for sale:

post-13301-14452000823141_thumb.jpg

For anyone who may be interested, you can purchase one here: uncommongoods.com/product/gnome-be-gones-with-gnome

Salex, maybe the woman to whom you were referring could use something like this? :lol:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not even christian here, but we have what we call a house-gnom, a little creature (like a hobbit or a small child) who likes to steal and move things. A few people saw "him" without us telling it before and we both don´t mind. If he´s getting to annoying we put some chocolate in the kitchen or somewhere else (an idea of a shamanic friend) and it´s getting more quiet. :lol:

I'd never heard that pixies were demons. But it so happens that my great-grandmother, Granny Itzy, taught me how to make these awesome wind chimes with religious symbols woven into the pattern. Minor demons like Pixies can't stand them. It's practically a hanging exorcism for the house. I'll get a priest friend, Father Tapaqua, of mine to bless them with holy water and the LORD has called upon my heart to make them available to my fellow believers for the low, low cost of 49.95 :dance:

Good idea, y/n?

I don't know if I believe in Pixies and other beings, but I do believe there is more out there than most of us can comprehend. I've talked to several people well known to me who have had near death experiences and I believe them. One was my ex-husband who was atheist and one, the mother of two who almost bled to death after giving birth who told me that even though she had just had the baby she had been praying for, she didn't want to return. When my Dad passed away from cancer, and had been in a coma for the last two days of his life, about 15 minutes before he passed away he sat up in bed, reaching his arms out to someone and staring beyond the foot of the bed and kept muttering "Mum Mum Mum." His mother passed away when he was 11, and I believe she was there for him. Mom passed 5 years later, again, had not moved in days and just before she passed, her right hand came off the bed as if she was taking someone's hand, then slowly went back down, I believe someone was there for her as well. I don't believe everyone who claims they can talk to the dead, but there are individuals who do this and offer information no one knows about. I don't think all of them feel the need nor want to be famous either.

I believe some people have something extra, nothing evil, but more awareness of things. A close friend's parents were murdered. Eventually 2 of the 4 teenagers who broke into their home turned states evidence against the two who performed the actual murders. I worked with their son. He told me later that after the house had been cleaned up, the state police brought in a woman psychic, someone who is well known in police circles but won't discuss or reveal herself. She went through the house and described the boys actions in detail, how they stabbed the man in the kitchen, the woman in the bathroom and actually cut off one of her fingers, how they ransacked the house while eating apples from the bowl she kept on the kitchen table and threw the cores on the floor, and gave descriptions of the boys. None of this including those details ever got in the paper and were not used as evidence in their trials, but her information led to the two talkers and eventually to life sentences for the two murders and long sentences for the accomplices.

There have been times I swear someone has tapped me on the back, yet I know I am alone. I also want to say that I believe in God, and an afterlife, and still feel this way.

I was one of the biggest skeptics at one time, but I've seen enough evidence from people I trust

Fun fact - Ouija boards are board games, and the copyright is still owned by a games company (I want to say Parker Games?). They were invented as a sort of DIY psychoanalysis board game when psychoanalysis was first emerging as a fashionable type of therapy. They weren't used for seances until after WWI when some people used them to take advantage of grieving WWI widows.

So about as likely to contact the 'other side' as Monopoly is.

I'm now really curious to know what fundies would think of Magic the Gathering. A demon in every card?

I'm now really curious to know what fundies would think of Magic the Gathering. A demon in every card?

Probably, given their track record of loving to hate Dungeons & Dragons.

Probably, given their track record of loving to hate Dungeons & Dragons.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a bible version of D & D.

'You've chosen to approach the hostile village. Roll at least a ten to convert a heathen, otherwise you'll be martyred!'

Also I like your avatar. Birds of a feather have to stick together. :lol:

Regardless of who they work for, if pixies are real, my niece would really like a few to come live at my house.

(ETA: And a couple of fairies, too, for good measure. And cuteness.)

Fun fact - Ouija boards are board games, and the copyright is still owned by a games company (I want to say Parker Games?). They were invented as a sort of DIY psychoanalysis board game when psychoanalysis was first emerging as a fashionable type of therapy. They weren't used for seances until after WWI when some people used them to take advantage of grieving WWI widows.

So about as likely to contact the 'other side' as Monopoly is.

Logic doesn't even matter to me in regards to Ouija boards. After having it drilled into my head that they were Satanic and would open me up to demonic influences/demon possession (this wasn't a pet topic of my family or anything-- just the general consensus in evangelical Christianity) and after seeing one too many movies where that exact thing happens, I would honestly be too scared to use one. I know that makes me sound like a nut, and I don't even logically think that they are anything other than a piece of cardboard... but my visceral fear reaction would send me running from the room. In the horror movie, I'd definitely be the girl saying I didn't think it was a good idea and being made fun of for believing in fairy tales. :?

'You've chosen to approach the hostile village. Roll at least a ten to convert a heathen, otherwise you'll be martyred!'

Thanks about the avatar! I love the look of appenzellers - I came across this one several years ago on a trip to Alaska. I have goth tendencies, and this one spoke directly to mine. :lol:

Back in the day, I used to play D&D (especially loved to play drow elves!). I recall one game where one of my traveling companions, a cleric, was later shortchanged a non-trivial number of experience points by our Dungeon Master because he thought she should have tried to convert an enemy rather than kill him.

Maybe for a bible version of D&D, there can be some sort of evangelism counterpart to THAC0.

Years ago, I went to a homeschool convention with a friend and we ended up sharing a room with a homeschool mom she knew. This lady was the fundie-mom poster child: several children, had the baby she was breastfeeding with her, had long hair, wore a long skirt, wore no makeup.

When the three of us got into a discussion of literature we let our children read, she was staunchly against letting her children read any of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia because of the mention of a witch, magic, mythical creatures, talking animals, etc. I was in utter disbelief and asked if she didn't see the allegorical correlations between the Narnia stories and the Gospel. She simply allowed her narrow-mindedness to stand in the way of what would have surely been engaging and delightful literature for her children to read or have read to them.

:roll:

My grandmother never allowed cats in her house, because "they steal your soul while you sleep."

My dog steals my covers while I sleep. Maybe she's a fairy or pixie. :oops:

My dog steals my covers while I sleep. Maybe she's a fairy or pixie. :oops:

My best friend's cat stole chicken right off of her plate as she was eating dinner last night! :lol:

My best friend's cat stole chicken right off of her plate as she was eating dinner last night! :lol:

Demon-possessed animal witch!!!

No mention of Neil Gaiman's American Gods? I guess that was a leprechaun, not a pixie.

I've never heard of the pixie/demon connection. My experience is that it's the charismatics and Pentecostala who believe so readily in demon possession. The reformed fundamentalists not so much, they are more likely to be in the "could happen" rather than the "does happen" group.

And what is the deal with cabbage patch kid?

They are full of demons, and you give Satan your 'foothold' when the kids signs the adoption paper. I saw no need to break link.

http://gawker.com/the-duggars-homeschoo ... 1710094250

Last week I was sitting on the couch enjoying my dinner when my newest cat came up behind me and hooked a piece of salmon from my plate. My other two watched with huge eyes and then looked at each other as if to say "Woah! Did you know we could do that?!". I am always on guard now. :(

Another woman chimed in that she had destroyed her garden gnomes / elves when she learned they were evil.... so, there you go.

ZyJUvmD.jpg

The RPG in a Box genre is apparently growing, and there's probably a market for something like that. Something in the vein of MIce and Mystics but highly rethemed.

[bBvideo 560,340:2o1vszwo]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YquWfQ7eSU[/bBvideo]

They are full of demons, and you give Satan your 'foothold' when the kids signs the adoption paper. I saw no need to break link.

http://gawker.com/the-duggars-homeschoo ... 1710094250

I wonder what they think of Build A Bear? My kids loved that place and have many of them complete with birth certificates.

When the three of us got into a discussion of literature we let our children read, she was staunchly against letting her children read any of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia because of the mention of a witch, magic, mythical creatures, talking animals, etc. I was in utter disbelief and asked if she didn't see the allegorical correlations between the Narnia stories and the Gospel. She simply allowed her narrow-mindedness to stand in the way of what would have surely been engaging and delightful literature for her children to read or have read to them.

:roll:

I've run across this too. The witch and the magic are bad enough, but the half-men, half-beasts (fauns, centaurs, etc.) are supposed to be representations of bestiality. And then there's wine mentioned in almost every book; one blogger was particularly upset that Lucy has a healing cordial, because it will teach children that using alcohol as medicine is okay. I've never been able to make any sense out of it.

...one blogger was particularly upset that Lucy has a healing cordial, because it will teach children that using alcohol as medicine is okay. I've never been able to make any sense out of it.

I wonder how they handle the portion of scripture where Paul tells a young Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach ailments?

Pa Keller would insist that Paul was REALLY telling Timothy to drink Welches Concord grape juice.

There's a fine art to making the Bible say what a person wants it to say. Because, of course, those people know exactly what God was trying to say. :roll:

Archived