IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 5

happy atheist

I am really hating this smug, self-righteous grifting couple. I have given to numerous charities and have never, ever had to give that personal information. Ever. There is no reason for it.

I also have a special level of hatred for religion converters of any kind.

As do I. And their condescension is typical of religious adherents.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought we knew they were in Central America - specifically El Salvador - per the furniture store guy. Was this in question?

Perhaps it was only still a mystery to me. I haven't been following this closely. :shrug:

Does anyone know if collecting all that personal information is typical for this sort of thing? It seems really excessive--and scary-- to me.

Nevada used to give the option to have your social security number on your DL, but they realized how dangerous putting those 2 numbers together are.

Seriously would anyone else be able to get away with saying, hey can I get your DL and SS# for my secret missionary work in Central America?

Did you see the donate page is secured by cornerstonepaymentsystems.com/

Didn't that company pop up as Duggar owned?

Did you see the donate page is secured by cornerstonepaymentsystems.com/

Didn't that company pop up as Duggar owned?

Yup, it did. So probably no actual security. I'm just imagining the headlines when the Dullards and Jim Boob being arrested for identify theft...

I've never liked Jill, and now I despise her and her grifter husband. Who would give those two money?! I can't even imagine the leg humpers who would donate. The Dillards want Catholics to repent of their sin of Catholicism and they want everyone else to pay them while they pray over the papists and heathens. I really hope they don't get another reality show.

Yup, it did. So probably no actual security. I'm just imagining the headlines when the Dullards and Jim Boob being arrested for identify theft...

The cornerstone website is an interesting read.

We still know nothing about where they are in Central America and nothing about the ministry except that some woman and her son decided to start going to church again. The could be anywhere from Cuba to Costa Rica.

They are asking for donations based on who they are, not by what they are doing and anyone who gives them a donation is being foolish because they have no idea how the money is being used.

The "everyone wants to look at the white baby with the blue eyes" line is embarrassing and bigoted and they are obviously too dumb to even realize that.

OH I just thought--that must be their mission. They are going to have as many blonde blue eyed babies as they can to attract dark skinned people to Jesus.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the blue-eyed white baby phrase a little off.

These two are playing where in the world are Jill, Derick, and Izzy on money donated by fans through a hastily made website. I think once the donations start slowing down there will be new updates and maybe a picture or two. I think they'll use the cash to travel the world only to places that are already Christian or with sizeable Christian populations because I think they both lack basic understanding of religions like Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. and I don't think they even care to learn. Their travels will allow for learning to feel smug and feign empathy for the poor and giving children who need nutritious food and good schools some dollar store candy. They may also hand out Bibles, not knowing or caring whether the person can read the language that Bible is in. They'll also pose for pics in the situations most likely to get people to donate.

They'll keep doing it until the money stops coming in. Then they'll return home from so many countries and converting SOOOO many people to Gothard Jesus, and wrote a book and ride the speaking circuit having learned absolutely nothing and having helped almost no one but themselves... to other people's money.

They should specify what the donations are for. Their living expenses or are those already provided by a church or organization? Programs for the locals? Details would be appreciated.

I'm really curious about their Spanish ability. I lived in China for a year and a half, and even though my Chinese was pretty good (could carry on fairly complex conversations), it was still hard to talk to people about certain things I just didn't have the words for, or to talk with native speakers who didn't "dumb down" for me or speak in a more standard accent/dialect (for example, the very standard Mandarin I learned is almost an entirely different language from Shanghainese or the dialect spoken in the southwest where I worked). I couldn't imagine moving to a new country permanently if I didn't have a really solid handle on the language.

To be fair, it takes a lot longer (for native English speakers) to become proficient in Mandarin than it does in Spanish, which is probably the easiest non-artificial language for an English speaker to learn. Even so, "easy" is relative and it's still quite an accomplishment to get to that point in Spanish.

I would be very surprised if they're at all conversational in Spanish. Derek might be in Nepali, but as far as we know neither has spent significant time learning Spanish. (I don't think weekly classes with a friend counts.) They can probably get by okay since they know some Spanish and there are probably people there who know at least some English, but I can't imagine that they would be able to have a conversation in-depth enough to really talk about Christianity with people.

Like you said, actual immersion is really hard. Especially when something is going wrong it is so frustrating to not have the words to say something you want to say. Actually, I think one of the most effective things my teachers did was start conversations on really controversial topics and get people arguing because then you feel like you just have to get the words out. I'm normally pretty quiet, but 9/11 conspiracy theories were enough to make me join the conversation because I was so frustrated by all the truthers.

I've studied French pretty seriously for years and spent 6 weeks (not nearly enough) in an immersion program in France, but while I can read just about anything and I've gotten to the point where I can just talk without having to think about it, I'm still pretty lost when it comes to casual speech. I'm fine with something like the news where they're talking clearly, but people don't speak the same way conversationally that they do in a more formal setting.

It frustrates me so much when you see people acting like fluency, or the lack of it, has anything to do with intelligence. I see Americans do this a lot because they've never had to try to converse in anything but English. (I remember Ben's sister being particularly bad about this in her accounts of her mission trip.) I want to just throw those people into a situation where no one speaks their native language and see how they feel when everyone assumes they're stupid because they can't say what they want to say.

Today I, along with about 50 or 60 others, volunteered at the local food bank sorting food that would ultimately be distributed around the county. Everyone worked physically hard to help those in need with no expectation of receiving anything in return. If you believe in God, then this is the type of work that shows his teachings. If you just believe in good works to your fellow human being, then this is what shows the best in people. Jill and Derrick are doing nothing to improve the lives of others by trying to convert Christians to a different form of Christianity. I am amazed that it wouldn't occur to them to actually performs works to change the lives of others. They just want to preach at them and I doubt they will even do much of that. They are just getting a paid vacation that they think will result in others praising them for their "sacrifices".

Today I, along with about 50 or 60 others, volunteered at the local food bank sorting food that would ultimately be distributed around the county. Everyone worked physically hard to help those in need with no expectation of receiving anything in return. If you believe in God, then this is the type of work that shows his teachings. If you just believe in good works to your fellow human being, then this is what shows the best in people. Jill and Derrick are doing nothing to improve the lives of others by trying to convert Christians to a different form of Christianity. I am amazed that it wouldn't occur to them to actually performs works to change the lives of others. They just want to preach at them and I doubt they will even do much of that. They are just getting a paid vacation that they think will result in others praising them for their "sacrifices".

But...but, they have a blue-eyed white baybee!!!

Even the celebrities that have commercials at midnight -5am or weekend afternoon asking for donations felt it necessary to say things like for just the price of a daily coffee, your donation will be combined with others to build wells, schools etc. as opposed to you used to love me on X show, gimme money.

I thought we knew they were in Central America - specifically El Salvador - per the furniture store guy. Was this in question?

Some suspected Central America. Some Nepal. We didn't get confirmation from Jill/Derick/any Duggar until today.

These two douchecanoes are making me Mawell-level angry. And that's really saying something. Think I have to step away from this thread for a couple days.

So out of the blue we hear from the Dillards - on JBob's 50th birthday? Geez, guys, way to take attention away from the Birthday Boy. Tsk tsk. :penguin-no:

I teach a class in personal finance and have also taught one on raising money, and if they were truly ethical they would direct donors to a payment system clearinghouse, not their own hastily set up payment system. Considering they are already under such strict scrutiny right now and the wider family certainly is, they certainly are playing with fire if their finances are not on the up and up. They may have gotten by on home church deductions before, but the media is watching them like a hawk now and anything untoward won't go unnoticed or be dug up eventually. Even the Rodrigues Family directs donations to be sent to their outside mission support organization and lists their home church on their grifting letters. I tell my students constantly not to give money to any organization they haven't checked out on Charity Navigator and to be wary of giving money directly to people on sites like GoFundMe unless they know the beneficiary personally (or know someone who does), or to give small amounts they wouldn't mind losing. There are so many scam "charities" out there as well as scams that piggyback on legitimate, worthwhile causes, it's difficult to know where donations go sometimes. And I definitely teach my students about Identity Theft and how it's done and that they should never give out their SSN unless it's for a job (preferably after they're hired) or a loan application or other major money transaction. They used to print our SSNs on our college IDs until they realized that was a bad idea. Hopefully this doesn't go pear shaped for those fundie lovers crazy enough to donate to their "mission" trip.

I hate the Dillards more and more every day. They're not there to help, they're just there to try to convert people (who are probably already Christians) into seeing Christ THEIR way.

Also why do they need your SSN, drivers license, checking account info, etc when you donate? This sounds like a total scam. Some leg humper is going to get their identity stolen.

Where are you seeing that? I went to their donation page and they just had the usual options - credit card or EFT .

I am disturbed by whole idea that the locals are in awe of the white blue eyed baby? It just sounds so demeaning. Oh the locals will now worship the Christ-like child because he is so different than their own and therefore must be better. It reminds me of old stories about people going into parts of African nations where no white person had ever been. Where the hell could the Dillard's have gone that locals have never seen a white blue eyed baby? Jill isn't living where she doesn't have a microwave and washer/dryer. Do they know that their are people of Latin descent with white skin and blue eyes? Of course not. They make it sound like they have made camp with a local tribe in a bad adventure movie and will teach them about Christ and maybe to not burn a virgin at the stake to appease the Gods so that there will be a fertile harvest. This comment from them just bothers me so much and I can't figure out why. I feel like saying that it borders on racist but I am not going to call them racists when I have no reason to believe that they are. I hope I am making sense.

It highly pisses me off that these layabout Dillards didn't bother to learn Spanish in the time they've been married.

I took Spanish classes in school when I was 14-15 years old. One hour per day five days a week.

I not only learned to read, write and speak proper Spanish by the textbook. I also learned conversational Spanish because our dear old teacher would only talk to us about ANY subject in Spanish.

We spent as much time talking with her and our classmates in conversational Spanish as she taught us the differences as we did learning from tapes and our textbooks. ( It was the 70's--not a lot of audio media options available back then but NO excuses now).

After learning the ins and outs of Spanish, it was so much easier to learn other foreign languages such as French and Italian.

Jill and Derick are just lazy beyond belief. You have to be able to talk to people in their language before your presence makes any difference at all. If I knew why I should be multi-lingual as a young teen,why do these two much older grifters not know?

I hope they never return to the USA. I hope we never hear about them again. I'd be so happy. Their white blue eyed baby comment has really ticked me off, because it is so self- congratulatory. They are the least people I know of who should be congratulating themselves on anything at all.

People love holding babies - that's pretty much universal. My guess is that D&J are meeting people who ask to hold Israel because he is A BABY, but are attributing it to him being a blue-eyed white baby. Essentially, my guess is that they are the ones racializing the interaction, on a basis of their general white saviour complex...

People love holding babies - that's pretty much universal. My guess is that D&J are meeting people who ask to hold Israel because he is A BABY, but are attributing it to him being a blue-eyed white baby. Essentially, my guess is that they are the ones racializing the interaction, on a basis of their general white saviour complex...

I agree.

Also there is such a thing as grifting the missionary tourists. The tourist comes in on their week long mission and drops cash for artisanal handicrafts and other trinkets. It is worth their time to indulge the wannabe missionaries.

There is a fair amount of critical literature on poverty tourism.

It also does not interfere with being Catholic to go to a Baptist or Pentecostal service once in a while.

I am disturbed by whole idea that the locals are in awe of the white blue eyed baby? It just sounds so demeaning. Oh the locals will now worship the Christ-like child because he is so different than their own and therefore must be better. It reminds me of old stories about people going into parts of African nations where no white person had ever been. Where the hell could the Dillard's have gone that locals have never seen a white blue eyed baby? Jill isn't living where she doesn't have a microwave and washer/dryer. Do they know that their are people of Latin descent with white skin and blue eyes? Of course not. They make it sound like they have made camp with a local tribe in a bad adventure movie and will teach them about Christ and maybe to not burn a virgin at the stake to appease the Gods so that there will be a fertile harvest. This comment from them just bothers me so much and I can't figure out why. I feel like saying that it borders on racist but I am not going to call them racists when I have no reason to believe that they are. I hope I am making sense.

It is edging on racist, though to be fair, I worked in a fairly remote part of China where I was the first white person/foreigner in general that some people had ever seen or met (it's quite rural and isolated and doesn't have much tourist infrastructure, unlike places like Dali or Lijiang, which get foreign tourists who want Tibet without dealing with the travel permits). I would have people come up to me and snap photos of me with their smartphones. It got to the point where I would jokingly say that I was charging 5 RMB (about a dollar) per photo. Sometimes little kids would point at me and yell "WAIGUOREN! WAIGUOREN!" (Foreigner! Foreigner!) If you're working or traveling in an area not frequented by foreigners, you're going to stick out and people will be curious. Derick's phrasing, however, was quite uncomfortable.

Archived