IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 3

happy atheist

I am thankful she is matron-of-honor, simply because that means the silver plates, pass-around dress monstrosity we've seen traded among michelle and kelly might not make a ghastly appearance?

(I normally don't like to snark on clothes, but at the time of purchase, both families had enough money and social presence to buy share something that didn't look like it got stuck on the back of the most neglected rack at David's Bridal...and had been discounted so many times, the tag was nothing but red pen ink scribbles...)

I've been Googling "jill duggar wedding" and looking at the Bateses' blog... they're actually different dresses, I think. Michelle's one was ankle/floor length and Kelly's was shorter. I also think the neckline on Michelle's is higher. Of course, it may have been altered, but it doesn't look that easy to alter.

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been Googling "jill duggar wedding" and looking at the Bateses' blog... they're actually different dresses, I think. Michelle's one was ankle/floor length and Kelly's was shorter. I also think the neckline on Michelle's is higher. Of course, it may have been altered, but it doesn't look that easy to alter.

It's the same dress, it comes in a long and short version. Michelle altered her's to be "more modest".

Michelle is holier that the rest of us, after all.

There was an extensive "who wore it best" on FJ about the two dresses. We agreed that Kelly won that dress battle.

You mean like people in countries with universal healthcare?

I have universal healthcare. But if you are going to oppose universal healthcare and say that you don't rely on government 'handouts', but refuse to pay for insurance and just show up at the ER whenever you child has a problem, then that is an issue to me.

You mean like people in countries with universal healthcare?

People in countries with universal health care do have insurance - but it's universal. That's the point. And you wouldn't just walk into the ER for any random ailment, you'd go to your family doctor or a clinic because, again, it's free. The ER is for emergencies. Go in with a non-emergency and you're going to wind up waiting for 10 hours and then just being told to go home, rest and drink fluids or whatever. What's the point?

People in countries with universal health care do have insurance - but it's universal. That's the point. And you wouldn't just walk into the ER for any random ailment, you'd go to your family doctor or a clinic because, again, it's free. The ER is for emergencies. Go in with a non-emergency and you're going to wind up waiting for 10 hours and then just being told to go home, rest and drink fluids or whatever. What's the point?

People still go into the ER without emergencies (well, over here it's called A and E, or Accident and Emergency). Over here there's a really interesting documentary called 24 Hours in A&E, which is exactly as you'd think; each episode is filmed over 24 hours. Some of the things can be quite minor seeming, and then you get the people who've fallen 30 foot from a tree and are unconscious, bleeding, and have their necks in a brace. Then again, some of the guys are just pissed. The range of injuries is quite wide. People will go in with minor-seeming things precisely because you don't need an appointment in A and E, you just show up. You have to make a call to a GP or doctors' surgery to make an appointment, and in this day and age of spending cuts they're becoming harder and harder to obtain. You do also get the occasional idiots who turn up wanting paracetamol or ibuprofen, I shit you not, which you can get at any supermarket.

On another topic, every time I see a picture of Alyssa's daughter Allie Jane I wonder if the poor girl has marks on her head from wearing all of those "I'm a girl!" headbands. The flowers on them vary in size, but I keep imagining the pressure of them will leave a permanent line someday, since there is not a single picture of her without one on. It's also interesting how she's usually dressed in onesies or top/pants combo and not the "house dresses" (as someone in another thread called them) Davis Waller wears. I had a boy so I never dressed him in much head gear, but the headband every day thing seems excessive, no?

Except you can go and use it as someone who doesn't pay the tax that's the insurance: a tourist, for example. They still get treated.

I am getting married next year and I've asked my mom to be maid of honor. I wanted to honor my mom. My sister was maid of honor at my first wedding.

Except you can go and use it as someone who doesn't pay the tax that's the insurance: a tourist, for example. They still get treated.

Oh course you still get treated. That doesn't mean you don't have to pay for it though.

Most people will not go to the ER for something that can wait to be treated. The vast majority of people would rather wait at home until the clinics open the next morning than wait in the ER all night long. You don't make an appointment to go to a walk-in clinic. Of course there are people who go to the ER for stupid things, but the point is that people here don't use the ER like people without insurance in the States do, because we don't need to.

Most people will not go to the ER for something that can wait to be treated. The vast majority of people would rather wait at home until the clinics open the next morning than wait in the ER all night long. You don't make an appointment to go to a walk-in clinic. Of course there are people who go to the ER for stupid things, but the point is that people here don't use the ER like people without insurance in the States do, because we don't need to.

I live in Scotland. They do. So much so there are adverts about how that's a waste of A&E staff time.

JillyO, that's what I'm trying to say. We *do* pay for it, just through taxation.

The fact that ERs have to treat non-insured folks is one of the things that makes insurance rates go higher. Gil is such a freeloader!

I live in Scotland. They do. So much so there are adverts about how that's a waste of A&E staff time.

JillyO, that's what I'm trying to say. We *do* pay for it, just through taxation.

Pretty sure JillyO is saying that uninsured people like tourists can't just go into a foreign ER and not have to pay. Unless it's different in Scotland.

The fact that ERs have to treat non-insured folks is one of the things that makes insurance rates go higher. Gil is such a freeloader!

Agree!

I am getting married next year and I've asked my mom to be maid of honor. I wanted to honor my mom.

That's very nice!!!

Pretty sure JillyO is saying that uninsured people like tourists can't just go into a foreign ER and not have to pay. Unless it's different in Scotland.

It is! No charge for people who fall ill in Britain :)

Two of the Bates girls (I want to say Katie and...Josie?) speak with a "valley girl" thing that I'm not understanding since they live in the back woods of TN.

To me, being a freeloader is bad enough, but he goes around talking about living debt-free and how anyone can support a large family if they spend right. Doing things like this show he can't actually support his family the way he purports to.

Erin is also a bridesmaid. I'm surprised Jana wasn't chosen as maid of honor. Or even one of her sisters over Kelly. I've never heard of anyone having their mother as their matron of honor. My brother was best man in a wedding last month where a groomsman flaked at the very last minute so the groom's dad filled in. It did help that he already had a tux fitted to match the wedding party ;)

Copied from Brandon and Michael's instagram:

I'm interested in the groomsmen.

• Nate Paine is Chad's brother and the Paine family are IBLP royalty.
  • Brent Keilen is Brandon's brother and was very active at HQ but he recently moved on to FRC Action. October 2014 is less recent than I thought. https://www.facebook.com/FRCAction/vide ... 013855857/ (warning: autoplay video) https://instagram.com/p/0q2tTmuWEk/ Brent's in the blue checked shirt.
  • Craig Keilen is another brother. He seems less fundie and lives in Scottsdale, AZ near another brother, RJ. No obvious links to ATI/IBLP.
  • Andy Warner has a long and fascinating IBLP resume posted on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/andy-warner/17/929/293
  • Lawson Bates we already know.
  • Gabe Cleator works at IBLP and graduated IMI a year ahead of Brandon. embassyinstitute.org/speaker/gabriel-cleator He also toured with the Pecans on IBLP's family connections thing last year.
  • Trace Bates we know.
  • Kelly Dornink keeps a low profile, but I saw him mentioned in a couple of fundie blogs of families we don't follow. He seems to have joined facebook specifically to participate in a wedding, so maybe he was one of the groomsmen pictured here? That fb fascinates me, btw. There are mentions of El Salvador/Honduras trips (which is where I'm convinced the Dillards are right now) complete with comments from Cooper Dauer. Perhaps we should be watching the new Mr. and Mrs. Manion...

I still think it's really odd that Jeb is not a ring-bearer, but Bradley, who is still a baby, is. Jeb is 3 and a half, he's old enough to be a ring bearer. He'll be the only one out of the 5 youngest to not be in the wedding.

I still think it's really odd that Jeb is not a ring-bearer, but Bradley, who is still a baby, is. Jeb is 3 and a half, he's old enough to be a ring bearer. He'll be the only one out of the 5 youngest to not be in the wedding.

That is odd about Jed. Was he a ring-bearer in the other weddings?

Maybe they're concerned that Jeb will run amuck, vs. the more placid Judson. I imagine Judson will be pulling a wagon with Bradley in it.

It's been shown on the show that Jeb is a handful, and manages to escape and run off even when he has two adults watching him. I don't think they trust him to make it down the isle quietly and in a straight line. :lol:

It is! No charge for people who fall ill in Britain :)

Interesting! That's different from any other cases I know. Here in Germany, if you don't have insurance (i.e. as a tourist), you have to pay out of pocket. When I had to go to the ER in Canada once, I had to pay too. Either way, the fact that the Bateses use the ER as their GP and refuse to pay their bills while preaching against universal health care is sickening.

Archived