IGNORED

Elisabeth Elliot Dies at Age 88

DomWackTroll

It means that even if she spent her entire adult life earning lots of money from her CAREER-- writing, speaking, preaching, teaching both men and women, producing Christian videos, traveling the world-- deep inside she "identified" as a widdle housewife so it's all okay.

Fundie logic:

Transgender isn't a thing, but transbiblicalgenderroles is.

Well, sure she kept Elliott's name!

Besides forever identifying her with A Martyr Of The Faith, "Elisabeth Elliott" has lots longer marketable legs than

Elisabeth Howard (her maiden name)

Or

Elisabeth Gren ( her second marriage name)

and certainly, certainly better than

Elisabeth Leitch (her third marriage name).

As to her child having to amuse herself while Dear Mothah Did The Lord's Work, the kid got off easy. Big Daddy Junebug once told me about missionaries' children who were held captive by Communists or somebody else nefarious. The story was that the missionaries' children were consigned to boarding schools, often miles from their parents' assigned mission stations, so that the missionaries wouldn't be distracted by their Own God-Given Children.

Srsly. I distinctly remember that prompting the second big question I had about oh-so-holy missionary work....

I've never TTBOMK read anything by the late Ms. Elliott but women like her have long given me a case of the angries. What can I say?

A number of my very mainstream friends of various denominations have posted her obit with kind words. So confused.

Elisabeth Elliot was pretty much required reading in the fundie circles where I grew up. However, even in more mainstream Protestant churches, she is held up as a great example. Her writings about missions and some of her devotionals are particularly popular. I remember a local PCUSA and Episcopal church here getting together to show the documentary about Jim Elliot that Elisabeth Elliot narrated in the 1960s.

I just read an obit that says that Elisabeth was made an adjunct professor at Gordon Conwell Seminary in the 1970's. I would love to know how she avoided "usurping" while teaching her classes (which I am sure were composed mostly or entirely of men) and under whose authority she claimed to teach.

Here’s an interview with Tim Bayly in which she pulls the ol’ “my thriving, profitable career isn’t really a thriving, profitable careerâ€:

“The husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the Head of the Church. And the wife is there to bless and support and help him. When women think that they've got to have a career of their own, or something else other than what a pastor's wife is normally supposed to do, I think it almost invariably leads to sorrow and breakdown in marriages.â€

And what she does may look like preaching, but oh, no, no, no!

“When I'm invited to speak in a church service on Sunday morning, I decline. If I am invited to speak in a mixed Sunday school class, for example, or a Sunday evening service, I will do so with one very clear understanding-that meeting (must) be under a man who is a leader and who then turns over to me for this limited period of time the podium… I just want it to be known that I'm not, in any way, trying to usurp authority; I'm simply testifying. So it is clearly understood that I am under the authority of this man who has just introduced me, and under the authority of this church. And it is for this limited time I am speaking.â€

baylyblog.com/blog/2015/06/woman-knows-not-her-time-elisabeth-elliot-1926-2015

I also read an article in CT that has an old interview with her, written right after her second marriage. Some of the more interesting quotes from Elisabeth talked about how a woman should view marriage as a death. Everything has to die: her name, her past, her interests, her identity and her very self. And yet as far as I can see.....her own past and her identity and name as Jim Elliot's wife never did die with her second or third marriage.

Disgusting woman. I was very glad to see a thread here the other day, because admiring posts were cluttering up my Facebook feed. Among people I otherwise really enjoy and respect. :|

I guess Tim Bayly reads FJ, too, because now all of a sudden she’s Elisabeth Elliot GREN.

Oh, and the NY Times is the “Goebbels for the Reich of American Decadence.â€

baylyblog.com/blog/2015/06/new-york-times-obit-elisabeth-elliot-gren

• 2 weeks later...

I've never really read anything by her, but I am friends with a few of her grandchildren. The ones I know are surprisingly liberal---support gay marriage, have been divorced, etc... so at least that legacy of uber-conservativism didn't continue.

I used to have books signed by her, but I don't know what I did with them.

DomWackTroll, you have inspired me.

When R.C. mourns an “iron lady,†over 87,

He can’t resist the creepy urge to smile and say:

Thank heaven for grown-up girls,

Who, even if they lead, say they obey!

Per heaven, they’re merely girls

Although they grow, they’ll know their place, we say!

Those little eyes so helpless and appealing,

Will hide the bitterness grown women must be feeling.

Per heaven, they’re merely girls,

Regardless if they teach or write, or think of something new,

Without that, what would patriarchs do?

Ask heaven... thank heaven...

Per heaven, they’re little girls!

DomWackTroll, you have inspired me.

When R.C. mourns an “iron lady,†over 87,

He can’t resist the creepy urge to smile and say:

Thank heaven for grown-up girls,

Who, even if they lead, say they obey!

Per heaven, they’re merely girls

Although they grow, they’ll know their place, we say!

Those little eyes so helpless and appealing,

Will hide the bitterness grown women must be feeling.

Per heaven, they’re merely girls,

Regardless if they teach or write, or think of something new,

Without that, what would patriarchs do?

Ask heaven... thank heaven...

Per heaven, they’re little girls!

Bowing low low low to your talent and creativity !

Especially since Gigi basically was being raised to become a courtesan, a plaything for rich, entitled men...am I remembering correctly?

Thank you for your praise, MamaJunebug.

Gigi basically was being raised to become a courtesan, a plaything for rich, entitled men...am I remembering correctly?

Yes, yes she was.

Archived