IGNORED

Hillsdale College asks gay athlete to pray for destruction..

hahe77

A little news from my town. A friend that works for the college is claiming that it was a student who sent the e-mail using the chaplains e-mail. Anyways....

Hillsdale College asks gay athlete to pray for destruction of "evil" same-sex marriage.

Hillsdale College's chaplain today sent an email to athletes, coaches, students, faculty and alumni from the school warning them about same-sex marriage and inviting them to pray to destroy "evil" same-sex marriage. Hillsdale College is an NCAA Division II school in Michigan.

http://www.outsports.com/2015/5/5/85533 ... y-marriage

I saw this. My husband plays in a community wind symphony in Hillsdale - NOT COLLEGE AFFILIATED, just the town. Makes me sick.

I never realized I was surrounded by so many religious schools when I moved here. But Spring Arbor and now Hillsdale...

I saw this. My husband plays in a community wind symphony in Hillsdale - NOT COLLEGE AFFILIATED, just the town. Makes me sick.

I never realized I was surrounded by so many religious schools when I moved here. But Spring Arbor and now Hillsdale...

Don't forget Hope over in Holland! I can't remember the exact rules but when I toured the school in the early 2000s there was a rule about having not members of the opposite sex in your dorm rooms (I think the rule was after 11 or midnight?). It struck me as being way too conservatively religious for my beliefs.

I go back and forth with Hope College. One of my favorite authors is a professor there - Rhoda Janzen.

Husband's buddy from school went to Spring Arbor. They have a no booze pledge, regardless of if you are legal. And the church on campus has a card swiper and you have to show up every Sunday and to certain events.

I always tell this story, but I myself applied to a pretty strict Catholic college - Mt. Aloysius in Pennsylvania. Beautiful little school, but then when we toured the dorms, they showed padlocks on the doors between floors. No visiting with people of the opposite sex after nine PM or you risk getting thrown out. One of the guides actually shared a story of a set of TWINS, FRATERNAL - they got busted for visiting after hours. Siblings and that's NOT PERMITTED.

Needless to say, I didn't accept.

Hillsdale is not a specifically religious college. There are, and have been, openly gay and lesbian students for some time. There are, and have been Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, agnostics, and Atheists as well as a variety of Christian denominations represented in the student body and staff.

It is conservative and attracts conservative-thinking people, and their official chaplain is Christian (RC, I believe), but no one is required or even expected to use the chaplain's services. He's there to counsel whoever might want it and to lead on-campus Christian worship.

The e-mail in question, as I understand, came from a student and not the official chaplain, though it was sent from the official chaplain's e-mail address. Probably just another undergrad with a burr up his ass and trying to take on a cause in which he believes, in an immature way (sending an e-mail).

The e-mail is reprehensible, to be sure, but making the leap to "Hillsdale College Says..." from "one person at Hillsdale College sent an e-mail that said ..." is different. It's kind of like that thing that went around last week on facebook - "the same kind of bacterial as found in feces can be found in some men's beards" became "Mens' beards contain poop."

HC has its issues, but let's not make it more than what it is.

Archived