IGNORED

Boys have to protect a girls character

Toothfairy

Lincoln High School, in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, has its prom this Saturday night. Should be a lot of fun. But it’s also, apparently, a night when the girls (and only the girls) have to protect their reputations.

Last week, these flyers began appearing on the walls:

The image suggests that boys have to protect girls’ character… as if they can’t do it themselves.

The implication is if a girl loses her virginity, then she’s not classy, doesn’t deserve respect, lacks potential… (and that’s just from the neck up!)

If you look carefully at the image, on one of the arms, some of the words that aresupposed to describe girls’ character include “shy,†“tidy,†and “quiet.†Because if they’re assertive, outspoken, and bad homemakers, I guess they’re not woman-ing correctly.

The flyer is signed at the bottom by the principal, Luke Valitchka, so he clearly saw and approved the message. The flyers couldn’t be up on the walls without his permission.

The flyers are sponsored by The Crossing of Manitowoc County (a Christian anti-abortion clinic) and Holy Family Memorial (a Catholic health-care provider).

While the message on the flyers is disturbing enough, it’s those last two things that are real problems. Public schools are simply not allowed to post church-sponsored material on the walls. While student groups could advertise a Bible Club meeting, outside churches can’t push their beliefs on the students.

So besides being disrespectful and demeaning to young women, it’s simply illegal.

A student at the school, who was offended by the poster, took a picture of it and sent it to her older brother, who then posted it on Reddit. That’s how it came to my attention.

I spoke to the high school senior last night and she told me that she even offered to create a poster with a more positive message, one that doesn’t suggest a girl’s character depends on her “purity.†But when she asked the principal for permission to do that, he rejected the idea. In fact, he told her it would (and I quote) “tear at the fabric of society.â€

The student plans on circulating a petition among her classmates this week to show the principal that she’s not alone in finding this message offensive (both for its message and the Christian sponsorship of it).

I sent a message to the principal last night asking why he allows outside Christian groups to post messages like this, whether he regularly tells girls that their self-worth is tied to their sexual purity, and if non-Christian groups can submit their own flyers to put up in the school.

So far, no response.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has also been notified.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...on-prom-night/

This disgusts me. This is the stuff that rape apologists spout.

"The woman was impure, she dared to not be meek and submissive and womanly, she was a slut, she deserved to be raped".

Young girls and boys cannot be seeing these sexist stereotypes enforced under the guise of religion.

I hope some action is taken against this principal.

I would like to see him argue the display of those posters against some very well spoken women who are not under his authority (like the student above) and thus, not restricted in debate.

Also, I hope the illegal nature of the posters is noticed and this a-hole is put in jail. Or in a pit of fire.

Ugh. I'm beyond reason right now.

And by character, we of course really mean "virginity."

Because policing women's bodies is exactly what men are supposed to do.

eta: Sarcasm, in case people weren't sure.

As Toothfairy pointed out, a girl can protect her own goddamned character. Now, if this situation were turned on its head, a la the Canadian "Don't Be That Guy" anti-sexual-harassment campaign, I'd be all for it!

Those Canadian "Don't Be That Guy" campaigns are so effective. It astonishes me that so much of the US has its collective head up its ass, i.e., rape is a problem for girls and thus girls must find the solution! Preferably by covering up head to toe and never going anywhere without a male guardian. FFS.

Also, I tried that link on the original post. I got a 404 message. :(

Virginity-as-character/worth is such a dangerous thing to teach girls. I'm working through it in therapy now and it is hard when it's been ingrained in you forever. Ridiculous that this would pop up in a public school at all. How long until somebody comes and rips all the posters down?

This is a great article, and I shared it with my 17 year old daughter. She was especially struck by the fact the girl offered to make different posters, but the principal refused. Putting the story on Reddit was a good move! We're hoping the principal gets disciplined.

Archived